• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here we have a politician and the police completely out of control. The very idea that they can do something like this is nuts and in particular what you can and cannot do on your own curtilage. They have failed in their responsibilities and are therefore, expecting the citizens to suffer for their failure.

trailblazer2003

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Here we have a politician and the police completely out of control. The very idea that they can do something like this is nuts and in particular what you can and cannot do on your own curtilage. They have failed in their responsibilities and are therefore, expecting the citizens to suffer for their failure.
Add another LEA to the list of questionable police actions. They are just following the examples set forth by the New Orleans PD, Greensberg, Kansas PD, D.C. metro PD, and others. If they get away with it, why can't the next department?

Eagleeye

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
My first thought was, ah - come on, you can come up with something more descriptive than dots. Um, I thought it was a well done parody. But no, it's real. I think my shocked and amazed threshold just got readjusted.

Eyewitness news

I do everything I can to avoid posting anything that can't be confirmed/verified.

but yep it is mind blowing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Incredible! There has to be some way to challenge that legally. Doesn't there?

I think there are court cases on this already. I saw one on a blog that referenced the year 2000 for a SCOTUS decision.

But, as long as the press treats it like an opinion poll and presents the people who are happy with it, rather than just digging up the law on the matter.

Wouldn't that be great? An news report that presents the legalities of the matter? Rather than thesupport of the people who can't or won't protect themselves.

I've got $5 that says the supporter citizens are the same ones who won't call in suspicious behavior when they see it (don't wanta get involved), and won't help with neighborhood watches, etc. Plus the curfew gives them an excuse not to tend the yard. (OK. That last one I just tossed in there.)

TheMrMitch

imported post

Well....I have no sympathy for those who follow that illegal dictate. They should fight it en masse and have a block party.

Or call 911 to bring them groceries. Or something. Unbelievable.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Mayor James Valley made this statement;

"This curfew is for all people...everyone is subject to be stopped - almost like marshal law.”.... "It's zero tolerance, you're going to jail."

“The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution.”

How delusional is that? For once, I'm hoping the ACLU throws their weight onMayor Valley. His actions aren't just heavy-handed or ill-advised, they're downright criminal.

If there had been open rioting in that area, I could see there being a temporary curfew imposedthat would immediately end when rioting stopped & order returned. But imposing a 24hr curfew, detaining, and arresting citizens for simply walking out their front door is a blatant violation of the 4th and 14th Amendments. So what the neighborhood is rife with drugs, prostitution, and violence? That the police can't reduce area's crime-rate without martial-law;residents won't clean up their own neighborhood, and they have a mayorwilling to throw awaythecitizens of Helena's Constitutional rightsin response to a localized crime wavespeaks volumes. And besides, as soon as martial-law is ended, the criminals will come back out of the woodwork and resume their activity; or move their activities to an area of the city which isn't so hot.

“There are going to be instances where innocent people are inconvenienced for the safety of the entire community,” he said. “I do not have any information that innocent citizen’s rights are being violated. The police department is diligently working on their report to present to the council and a request for authority to use Saturation Zones for enhanced efforts.”

Not only is this guy delusional, but he wants to expand the curfew-zone. "I want them to fix the problem, fix it legally and I want them to be aggressive,” said Valley. It's only a matter of time before an innocent citizen is seriously injured or killed by police officers given carte blanche to do what they will.

Michigander

imported post

I suppose my views on this are extreme, but I firmly believe that anyone who would attempt to enforce martial law is a tyrant, not worthy of life. This martial law is an unconstitutional policy, and a criminal charge for resisting it would not hold up in court if our nation is still intact as the framers intended, especially after a few appeals.

But then again, the people in that segment were really, really, really stupid, or at least talked that way. Any fool that would give up freedom for security deserves and will get neither, and that's why they deserve this crap. I just hope it doesn't yield case law that could lend to spreading this lunacy.