• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My review of a Fobus paddle holster for my .38 Taurus snub.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

I have been using a Fobus paddle holster to carry my .38 Taurus snub for a week now and am pleased to report that I am quite satisfied with the holster.

I have found this to be a comfortable and secure holster. It's firm, matte plastic construction and finish means you don't have to care for it like leather and it is impervious to moisture. To put it on, you need not remove your pants or belt, you just slip the paddle portion down the side of your pants. That's it, no adjusting your belt or anything. The design gives the gun a slight forward cant. It is sturdily constructed as advertised and I feel the gun would not work it's way out, shake loose (while running) or be easily removed unless you were to draw the weapon, which is accomplished with no binding. I have held the holster upside down with the gun in it and found it was impossible to shake the gun out of it! I do not know if this style holster would work well with a duty belt.

The gun has a medium high ride with this holster, with the wheel of the gun being level with your belt. The angle of the gun remains largely perpendicular to the body, making this a somewhat inconspicuous holster along with it's matte finish. It is fairly comfortable to wear in a car with bucket seats and a seat belt on. The rubber paddle portion which is in the pants (and mostly in contact with your undies) is comfortable against the skin and does not chafe. The holster is also very light, but as you'll see, sturdy as well. The holster does not slide around on the belt but remains all day in one spot. I was surprised this holster had so many advantages, not the least of which is it's $25 cost on Ebay.

You have to open your pants and belt to take it off. Big deal. The angle of the gun cannot be adjusted, though I believe Fobus sells such adjustable holsters, and due to the form-fitting shape of the rubber-coated paddle which is designed to rest comfortably up against your hip, it can't be worn anywhere on your belt. The holster is also not ambidextrous. Buy accordingly.

Keep in mind my review is only for the model that is made for a snub revolver. After trying this style, I doubt I am going to be buying any other kind for my small-gun open carry needs. I think it would work just fine with a Bersa Thunder .380, which is my next gun. I feel this is an affordable yet high quality alternative to far pricier leather holsters, and it also has no moving parts, snaps, straps or velcro to wear out. Very good overall.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I've been using the "roto" version of the Fobus for well over a year now and would agree with your findings.
One small point though, you can order directly from the Fobus website and shipping is free...I haven't been able to find a better deal anywhere else once other vendors add shipping charges.

adam40cal

imported post

Charlotte_resident wrote:
I have been using a Fobus paddle holster to carry my .38 Taurus snub for a week now and am pleased to report that I am quite satisfied with the holster.

I have found this to be a comfortable and secure holster. It's firm, matte plastic construction and finish means you don't have to care for it like leather and it is impervious to moisture. To put it on, you need not remove your pants or belt, you just slip the paddle portion down the side of your pants. That's it, no adjusting your belt or anything. The design gives the gun a slight forward cant. It is sturdily constructed as advertised and I feel the gun would not work it's way out, shake loose (while running) or be easily removed unless you were to draw the weapon, which is accomplished with no binding. I have held the holster upside down with the gun in it and found it was impossible to shake the gun out of it! I do not know if this style holster would work well with a duty belt.

The gun has a medium high ride with this holster, with the wheel of the gun being level with your belt. The angle of the gun remains largely perpendicular to the body, making this a somewhat inconspicuous holster along with it's matte finish. It is fairly comfortable to wear in a car with bucket seats and a seat belt on. The rubber paddle portion which is in the pants (and mostly in contact with your undies) is comfortable against the skin and does not chafe. The holster is also very light, but as you'll see, sturdy as well. The holster does not slide around on the belt but remains all day in one spot. I was surprised this holster had so many advantages, not the least of which is it's $25 cost on Ebay.

You have to open your pants and belt to take it off. Big deal. The angle of the gun cannot be adjusted, though I believe Fobus sells such adjustable holsters, and due to the form-fitting shape of the rubber-coated paddle which is designed to rest comfortably up against your hip, it can't be worn anywhere on your belt. The holster is also not ambidextrous. Buy accordingly.

Keep in mind my review is only for the model that is made for a snub revolver. After trying this style, I doubt I am going to be buying any other kind for my small-gun open carry needs. I think it would work just fine with a Bersa Thunder .380, which is my next gun. I feel this is an affordable yet high quality alternative to far pricier leather holsters, and it also has no moving parts, snaps, straps or velcro to wear out. Very good overall.

I thought this same thing with my paddle holster till a buddy of mine whose been wearing one for years toldme the trick. Grab the holster with your hand and twist it so the barrel is pointing in the same direction as if you were holding it and pull up. The holster will then slide right out without a problem. Trust me you'll be very happy once you try it let me know if you have any problems.