• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Picnics in Houston and Other Texas Cities

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I carried a repro 1858 Remington blackpowder revolver in a traditional cavalry holster to the July VCDL picnic. (Yes, it was loaded.)

You must have some people out that way who have muzzleloading pistols to carry! For that matter, if muzzleloaders aren't firearms under TX law, there's no reason you can't have "Muzzleloader OC Dinners".

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Nice. I don't think we should limit ourselves to modern or vintage arms. Wear each kind, one on each leg. :p

txgho1911

imported post

If this turns out as a long gun OC event in public like a park pick nick I think the perfect 2 areas for that in Houston.
Herman Park is near the museum and Zoo. Med Center right down the street. HPD can then take a few hours break in that little part of town.
Another great place would be Memorial Park. For this local you can organize a few hundred people and take control of dozens of tables near the parkway. Watch the joggers spot as they run by.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

txgho1911 wrote:
If this turns out as a long gun OC event in public like a park pick nick I think the perfect 2 areas for that in Houston.
Herman Park is near the museum and Zoo. Med Center right down the street. HPD can then take a few hours break in that little part of town.
Another great place would be Memorial Park. For this local you can organize a few hundred people and take control of dozens of tables near the parkway. Watch the joggers spot as they run by.
I had also thought about Discovery Green. Memorial would be a great, mostly central place. The south side has a bunch of places for grilling and volleyball nets, though I can't imagine playing volleyball with a AR-15 slung across the back would be much fun. :)

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

Whats the word on the possible OC event. I live in San Antonio and would be willing to make the drive to support the event. I have a 4 and 6 year old who I am already training to respect firearms. They like to go shooting with me (I let them shoot a .22 rifle wich I hold). The 6 year old has an uncanny knowledge of my XD .45. I think the general public is just ignorant on guns and some education is in order. I really hope I didnt miss the event. Please let me know

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!!!

marklar

imported post

One thing Iv thought about is to walk around with a banana in my holster, I bet that would raise some eye brows and get people to ask whats going on and its perfectly harmless. Seems like a good non "In your face" way to protest your right to open carry and people will be not as frightened to talk to you about it.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marklar wrote:
One thing Iv thought about is to walk around with a banana in my holster, I bet that would raise some eye brows and get people to ask whats going on and its perfectly harmless. Seems like a good non "In your face" way to protest your right to open carry and people will be not as frightened to talk to you about it.
I've thought about that very same thing! It's bright, absolutely unmistakeable for a non-weapon. Seems like it'd be comepletely legal to do so and would be an attention getter!

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
marklar wrote:
I've thought about that very same thing! It's bright, absolutely unmistakeable for a non-weapon. Seems like it'd be comepletely legal to do so and would be an attention getter!
Not to mention it would brings all kinds of new meaning to that old Mae West line: "Is that a banana in your, er, holster...." :cool:

As for the event, I'm still working out venue and what we're going to carry. From the discussion above you can see that there's some question as to whether we could OC handguns on private property.

Most pressing, though, is venue. I'm still working on that and would appreciate any suggestions or contact info for individuals or businesses that might let us use their property.

Cheers,

Aaron

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

If it turns out that we are not able to OC on private property and we end up carrying a non lethal item be it fruit or something else,a local park would be great. Its outside so there are endless opportunities for events (sports, washers, BBQ etc). Also from my experience city parks are free to extremely cheap to rent/reserve a pavillion. Alsoit would just about eliminate any capacity issues that might arise. Just an idea.

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!!!

XD40SubCompact

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Quick question on this? I just completed my CCW and finally got my PIN (YAY), and during my class my instructor told us that we could OC on our property due to the CASTLE DOCTRINE (Oh yea I am in FT Worth, TX). My neighbor and I routinely OC in our yards. Not a legal expert but I do think that lends credence to a private property owner giving permission. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40SubCompact wrote:
Quick question on this? I just completed my CCW and finally got my PIN (YAY), and during my class my instructor told us that we could OC on our property due to the CASTLE DOCTRINE (Oh yea I am in FT Worth, TX). My neighbor and I routinely OC in our yards. Not a legal expert but I do think that lends credence to a private property owner giving permission. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

It's been discussed but the question is whether the owner is able to grant permission to OC on his property. There are some conflicting opinions even on this board, as there are certainly to be outside of it.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40SubCompact wrote:
It's not the "Castle Doctrine" that gives you that right. It's the TX Constitution. It's TX Penal Code 46.02 that criminalizes carrying a handgun almost everywhere else. Your property (or property you control) is an exception to the ban.

BTW: How did you get your PIN? Still waiting on mine. :(

--Aaron

Walter45Auto

imported post

akpoff wrote
It's not the "Castle Doctrine" that gives you that right. It's the TX Constitution. It's TX Penal Code 46.02 that criminalizes carrying a handgun almost everywhere else. Your property (or property you control) is an exception to the ban.

BTW: How did you get your PIN? Still waiting on mine. :(

--Aaron
the state of Texas mails it to you.

tico

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm in Houston, and would love to take part in an OC picnic (I'll be the vegetarian eating the Boca burgers). Let me know the date and I'll show up.

By the way, I spent the past year working in Austin, TX; and as I only commute by motorcycle I *always* open-carried my .22 rifle strapped across my back when going to the shooting range. I occasionally noticed eyes on me when stopped in traffic, but even in Austin no hippies hassled me.

Every LEO I spoke with said that as far as they knew it was A-OK, but they wouldn't recommend going inside convenience stores or walking around unless I wanted problems (which made stopping at a gas station on the drive from Houston to Austin a pay-at-the-pump-only trip).

Anyhow, good luck guys!

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tico wrote:
I'm in Houston, and would love to take part in an OC picnic (I'll be the vegetarian eating the Boca burgers). Let me know the date and I'll show up.

By the way, I spent the past year working in Austin, TX; and as I only commute by motorcycle I *always* open-carried my .22 rifle strapped across my back when going to the shooting range. I occasionally noticed eyes on me when stopped in traffic, but even in Austin no hippies hassled me.

Every LEO I spoke with said that as far as they knew it was A-OK, but they wouldn't recommend going inside convenience stores or walking around unless I wanted problems (which made stopping at a gas station on the drive from Houston to Austin a pay-at-the-pump-only trip).

Anyhow, good luck guys!
That's awesome! At the Houston High-Caliber gun show I saw several rifle scabbards. Tough choice there between the scabbard and slung across the shoulder.

We'll definitely have some Boca burgers on hand (or similar veggie-friendly fare).