• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interstate Firearms Sale

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Hello again everyone,

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction, about selling a firearm from one individual to another if one of those people are from out of state?

Here's the backstory; my brother lives in Michigan. He has no felony arrests and/or convictions, and as far as I know has no mental illness nor has any intention of using a firearm while committing a crime. I live in Indiana and own ahandgun that I want to sell to my brother. Thehandgun in question I bought from a private individual a couple of years ago, and I have a bill of sale from that transaction. Technically, thehandgun in question is still registered to the person I bought it from ashandgun registration in Indiana is purely voluntary.

My questions are these:

1. Is this type of transaction between private individuals (selling firearms across state lines) even legal?

2. Do I need to register the pistol in question in my name here in Indiana BEFORE I sell it to my brother?

Side note: At the time of this post, my brother DOES NOT have a Michigan CPL.

As always, my thanks in advance.

Brian Gordon
New Haven, Indiana

nikon1123

imported post

The transfer will have to go through a Federal Firearms Licensee. You'll have to ship the gun to an FFL here in Michigan, and your brother will have to get a permit to purchase here and register it after he picks it up. Most dealers charge a nominal fee for this service.

Edit: clarity.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Hello again everyone,

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction, about selling a firearm from one individual to another if one of those people are from out of state?

Here's the backstory; my brother lives in Michigan. He has no felony arrests and/or convictions, and as far as I know has no mental illness nor has any intention of using a firearm while committing a crime. I live in Indiana and own ahandgun that I want to sell to my brother. Thehandgun in question I bought from a private individual a couple of years ago, and I have a bill of sale from that transaction. Technically, thehandgun in question is still registered to the person I bought it from ashandgun registration in Indiana is purely voluntary.

My questions are these:

1. Is this type of transaction between private individuals (selling firearms across state lines) even legal?

2. Do I need to register the pistol in question in my name here in Indiana BEFORE I sell it to my brother?

Side note: At the time of this post, my brother DOES NOT have a Michigan CPL.

As always, my thanks in advance.

Brian Gordon
New Haven, Indiana

1) The transaction must be done through an FFL inthis state. He/she will be able to address all questions/concerns you may have about the legal transfer.

2) See (1) above.

3) Without the CPL, your brother will have to obtain a "License to Purchase" from his local PD. If by chance your brothers location does not have a local PD, then he must go to the Sheriff's Department in his county.

BGordon, review this MSP link for additional info for non-CPL, transfers, etc.

Link: MSP

Edit: Spelling.