• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perhaps Clarification Is Due:

brokenarrows

imported post

Citizen wrote:
brokenarrows wrote:
Protectedby9mm, "The MWAG report just shouldn't go passed dispatch."

Perhaps, But imagine the lawsuits and liability issues if the MWAG is a threat and dispatch did not dispatch the information.

Multiple injuries and possible fatalities. Who they gonna sue?

Nobody. Lawsuits would go nowhere. There have already been a number of court rulings that the police are not obligated to protect people. They may get fired for not responding to a call; but they apparently can't be successfully sued.

Anybody with a case cite, please chip in. I never recorded them.

Protectedby9mm's comment about dispatch is in reference to dispatchers asking the nervous-nellie caller who is reporting an OCer what the man is doing with the gun. Ifnothingillegalis occurring, then 911 would notdispatch the officers.

911: What is he doing with the gun? Caller: Nothing.

911: Where is thegun? Caller: In a holster.

911: What is he doing? Caller: Nothing, just eating/walking/reading/browsing the fresh fruit aisle, etc.

911: That is perfectly legal, sir.

A real life example is what the Manassas dispatcher did during the call that resulted in the Tony's incident in early 2007. Basically the dispatcher told the caller that OC was legal. Even told him something to the effect that his opinion and her opinion didn't matter, it was legal.

You can hear the Manassas 911 call here: http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/Tonys_911.mp3
This clarification was very helpful.

Thank you

And with the clarification I agree.