• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crime free society

JT

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Wrong. That's what you read into it.

No, if I read anything into the question it was because I considered the question as a rational adult. A child's answer is obviously yes because children delight in such fantasy.The question is just as silly as asking "If you could poop gold after eating cranberries, would you eat cranberries? Both questions are silly beacuse they arebased in childish fantasy. Your question justsounds nobler because it involves world peace rather than personal wealth.

The question is useless for any purpose than to debate the fallacy which is what is being done. One's answer has nothing to do with their motivations for carrying a firearm as you implied in your original post because it has no basis in reality. You may call me wong if you like but you cannot prove it. Thankfully we are both still free to our opinions. Perhaps you would like toEXPLAIN how our answer to the question has any bearing on our motivation for bearing arms?

compmanio365

imported post

JT wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Wrong. That's what you read into it.

No, if I read anything into the question it was because I considered the question as a rational adult. A child's answer is obviously yes because children delight in such fantasy.The question is just as silly as asking "If you could poop gold after eating cranberries, would you eat cranberries? Both questions are silly beacuse they arebased in childish fantasy. Your question justsounds nobler because it involves world peace rather than personal wealth.

The question is useless for any purpose than to debate the fallacy which is what is being done. One's answer has nothing to do with their motivations for carrying a firearm as you implied in your original post because it has no basis in reality. You may call me wong if you like but you cannot prove it. Thankfully we are both still free to our opinions. Perhaps you would like toEXPLAIN how our answer to the question has any bearing on our motivation for bearing arms?
Ooh, new guy is on point......good job calling out the resident troll around here.

If you haven't already been told so, welcome to the forums. We can always use someone with a good head on their shoulders around here. :celebrate

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

JT wrote:
The question is useless for any purpose than to debate the fallacy which is what is being done.

Here, you're new and I feel bad for you so I'll help you out...

truck2201 wrote:
There it is in a nutshell.

Ask any person who is passionate about something if they are willing to give up that passion for the " Common Good ", it could be sex, driving, golfing, ect..... and if they do not say yes, then that person is clearly " not on the road to enlightenment " as defined by the person who asked the question.

If you still don't get it... The question is about priorities, nothing more, nothing less.

JT

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
If you still don't get it... The question is about priorities, nothing more, nothing less.

Aw, how sweet. No need to feel bad for mebut thanks for your heart felt sentiments.

The question is about priorities in a fantasy world, nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with the real world other than to furnish a straw man for debate purposes.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

JT wrote:
The question is about priorities in a fantasy world, nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with the real world other than to furnish a straw man for debate purposes.

Wrong again. Anything hypothetical is, by definition, a "fantasy."

The question's purposes are two-fold. First, the obvious, to determine your priority. If you wish for peace prepare for war, well what if you didn't need to prepare for war to have peace, would you still want peace? What's more important, plinking in the woods or a peaceful society? This part of the question was perfectly explained by truck2201.

Then there's the less obvious (at least to most here) second part. The second partis made up of what you read into the question. It shows your biases and is a rough gauge of your fanaticism.Almost everyoneoverlooked this part and instead played right into it. You exemplify this part.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JT wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Aw, how sweet. No need to feel bad for mebut thanks for your heart felt sentiments.

+1

Someone else who gets it. Welcome to the forum JT. Sorry you had to meet the village idiot so soon, but you seem to have it under control. Carry on.

popcorn.gif

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Utopia is not only a fantasy, it would spell the end of our species. Species evolve and progress primarily through adaptation to hardship and conflict. Eliminate hardship and conflict and within a few generations you have also eliminated the adaptive skills that have made humans the most successful species on the planet. Just look at the continuing decline of productivity in welfare states to see this concept occurring.

JT

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Wrong again. Anything hypothetical is, by definition, a "fantasy."
It shows your biases and is a rough gauge of your fanaticism.Almost everyoneoverlooked this part and instead played right into it. You exemplify this part.
First, calling me wrong doesn't make it so. All you have demonstrated to this point is that we disagree.

Second, the only bias I have shown is a bias against hypothetical questions about fantasy worlds that are used as a basis to gage someone'smotivations for actions they take in the real world.

Third, using terms like "fanaticism" to describe those who diagree with your premise is just silly. I've already told you that the proper answer for your fantasy world is yes. So if I were in your fantasy worldI would not be the bad man (i.e. fanatic).Now youimpute varying degrees of fanaticism to people who don't agree with you on a hypothetical question. Ok. you win. I don't win the prize because I fanatically persist in having a different perspective than you. I concede that in your fantasy world, yours is the only right answer.

JT

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
writeme, is that you!?!? :quirky
???. You obviously think I'm someone else. I rarely post and when I do it's in my state forum. Easy enough to check. Believe what you like though if it gives you warm fuzzies and makes you feel superior.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

JT wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
writeme, is that you!?!? :quirky
???. You obviously think I'm someone else. I rarely post and when I do it's in my state forum. Easy enough to check. Believe what you like though if it gives you warm fuzzies and makes you feel superior.
I don't think you're anyone. It was joke that, like the original question, went flying over your head.

JT

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I don't think you're anyone. It was joke that, like the original question, went flying over your head.
The joke is over my head because I'm relativelynew to the forum. The question is over my head merelybecause you say so. You alsohaven't bothered toaddress my question concerning your original post.

"Perhaps you would like toEXPLAIN how our answer to the question has any bearing on our motivation for bearing arms?"

It is obvious that you consider the answer self-evident but you judge us unworthy of enlightenment.

I simply tried to get involved in an interesting philisophical discussion. You appear to take any disagreement personally and can respond only with snide comments. Too bad.It could have been a nice discussion.

canadian

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
If a 100% crime and tyrannyfree society could be created by eliminating all weapons, would you willingly give up your guns?
No. It takes an entire society to forge a peaceful, civilized society, but it only takes 1 jerkoff to ruin it. And if that jerkoff decides to visit me, I don't want to be unprepared.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

JT wrote:
I simply tried to get involved in an interesting philisophical discussion. You appear to take any disagreement personally and can respond only with snide comments. Too bad.It could have been a nice discussion.

The problem is that you failed to read through the thread before posting. I don't know if you're just new here or if you're new to the intranetz in general, but you don'tjump into page X of a thread and throw out stuff that's been covered already, and expect to not get flamed.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
The problem is that you failed to read through the thread before posting. I don't know if you're just new here or if you're new to the intranetz in general, but you don'tjump into page X of a thread and throw out stuff that's been covered already, and expect to not get flamed.
ROTF, LMSRAO
Look who's calling the kettle black.

Now that's funny right there...I don't care who you are that there is funny ....
Oh I should not have made fun of the of the little kid with the helmet on

Oh Lord forgive me for making fun of the helmet boy and please help the Pigmy's out in the Pacific islands.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ROTF, LMSRAO
Look who's calling the kettle black.

Now that's funny right there...I don't care who you are that there is funny ....
Oh I should not have made fun of the of the little kid with the helmet on

Oh Lord forgive me for making fun of the helmet boy and please help the Pigmy's out in the Pacific islands.

I fail to see the humor. I don't ever recall myselfjumping in mid-thread and repeating anything.

You fail @ lulz.