Glades area sees 1 man killed in 5 shootings in 80 minutes
By Jerome Burdi | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
August 7, 2008

The Palm Beach County Violent Crimes Task Force is working five shootings that occurred overnight in the western communities, leaving one man, Desroy Lowe, dead. Motives and suspects are still being sought. It is unclear if they were connected. (Handout/PBSO / August 6, 2008)

In less than 80 minutes, five shootings rocked the Glades community Tuesday night, leaving one man dead.

The survivors said they didn't see who shot them and many said they wouldn't prosecute should an arrest be made, investigators said.

Desroy Lowe, 21, of Belle Glade, died shortly after being shot several times in front of his home in the 800 block of Southwest Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard in Belle Glade.

His mother the Palm Beach County Violent Crimes Task Force detectives that she heard gunshots and went outside.

She saw her son on the floor, already shot, being kicked by a man dressed in white, gun in hand. About 20 men were standing around.

No one, including Lowe's mother, was able to identify the shooter, task force spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

Karen Lowe said her brother was killed because of an argument.

"Anybody that do get killed around here, they never seem to solve the murder," she said.

The shootings started about 9:45 p.m. when a 17-year-old was shot in the head on the 60 block of Roosevelt Street, Belle Glade. The task force said the victim identified himself as Tyrone Odom from Clewiston, but they suspected the victim gave a false identity. The Odom family said it was not Tyrone.

By 10:30 p.m. on the 300 block of Cypress Avenue in Pahokee, Willie Cleveland, 19, was shot in the hip. He told detectives he saw a white Ford Crown Victoria pull up and someone opened fire. He said he did not see the shooter.

Then came Lowe's fatal shooting.

About 15 minutes after that, two Belle Glade men were shot nearby on the 600 block of Southwest Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard. Timothy Davis, 20, was shot in the hip and Latravis Torrence, 23, in the chest.

Task force Lt. Michael Wallace said it is unclear if the shootings were connected or gang-related. He said detectives didn't have much time to canvas each area because as soon as they started working at one shooting, they were called to another.

Torrence's aunt, Samantha Torrence, said she spoke with him after the shooting and he was doing well. They didn't talk about the shooting. Samantha Torrence said she hopes it is a wake-up call for her nephew.

"God has given him another chance and it's a blessing," she said. "We have to have common sense. Things don't happen by accident. Things happen on purpose."

Detectives are asking anyone with information on the shootings to call the task force at 561-688-4000 or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477.,4201575.story