• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC

Paratrooper82

imported post

Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker, small time poster here.

I spent a lot of time while deployed reading up on firearms, law as applicable to carry, and such. I managed to convince the Cumberland County, NC sherrif's attorney that aquiring a Pistol Purchase Permit WAS legal for private transfers (that was fun...). So, with my pistol permits I managed to buy a NIB S&W M&P .45 ACP with five magazines from the Dixie Gun Show, a blackhawk holster from a gun shop, and OC'ed for the first time in Fayetteville, NC!

I went into a Citgo gas station first, to test my resolve, and not an eye blink from the cashier. I then went to a Wal-Mart to do the "Wal-Mart Walk" and again...not an eye batted. Barnes and Noble was next, and again, no one said anything.

I'm still waiting on my CCW to come back from Maine, then with New Hampshires permit I will be able to legally carry concealed. My HK USP9c will hopefully fill that role when the time comes.

I was worried about having a "Wal-Mart situation" for a little bit, but didn't have to worry about it! I was super concsious of it on my hip (3 o clock position with slight forward cant, paddle holster, level 2 retention SERPA) . But after a while, it felt almost natural.

Now I need to find an OC get together!

-John

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh, I feel sorry for you.

Pretty young womenalways bat their eyes at me when I OC.

:)

5, 4, 3, 2...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:
I then went to a Wal-Mart to do the "Wal-Mart Walk" and again...not an eye batted. Now I need to find an OC get together!

-John

At last:exclaim: Someone has posted that the Wal-Mart OC Map works.:celebrate

And by your screen name I'm guessing that Paratrooper82 may be used to leaving perfectly functioning aircraft before arriving at the airport terminal gate. If so, I'm also guessing that he may not be an introvert.

That said[suP]TM[/suP] it should not be difficult to find an OC get-together because he will probably arrange on by posting on the North Carolina forum that he will be at XYZ restaurant (a known OC-friendly place) on such-and-such a day at such-and-such a time (expressed as Zulu time) and that anyone else who happens to be there also is welcome to join him in a meal and fellowship. (Listen up, Troop! That's hint there.)

The next thing you know we will be hearing than the 82nd has sat down with the 101st, and then that the 82nd and 101st have broken bread with the Marines. Oh, my! Where will this all lead to?:uhoh:

In the meantime, welcome to OCDO and to OC-ing. Even though you have already done the Wal-Mart Walk, newbie still buys the beer and ammo.

stay safe.

skidmark

Sonora Rebel

imported post

YAY! Good on ya! :)

I've noticed... there's NO news coverage of any OC laws... anywhere. Here in AZ it's not that uncommon... OC has been the norm here forever... (yet some still don't know squat about the law... or the State Constitution). But in other areas... particularly back east, it's a taboo subject.Even 'talk radio' avoids it like the plague.