• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms allowed

eacurtis

imported post

A few days ago, I received a call from a friend. He wanted me to contact a scenic railroad to see if an organization I am part of could help them clear brush. They are only open on weekends, so my wife and I headed down there today (Sunday). Of course, the HK4 was on my belt (OC).

I met with the president of the organization for a few minutes and then jumped in the back seat of his truck and he gave me a 50 minute tour of the area, showing me what needed to be done. Before getting back to the main area, he said "By the way, we don't allow firearms on the property or in the equipment". I asked if it was posted and he said yes, on the bill board and I just said I'd put the firearm away.

I stowed the firearm and went on my train ride. When I got back, I did a little more checking and didn't see any posting. Nothing on the bulliten board, nothing at the ticket sales office, nothing on the train, nothingin the parking lots,etc...

I know I can still carry legally (CC) there still since it's not posted, but I'm still bummed. I'm not sure why it's bugging me. It could be becusae I was challenged, it could be because it wasn't posted and he said it was, or it could be something else.

Anyway, I just thought by sharing that it would make me feel better....

Infidel

imported post

As with anything and everything in the military politely ask to SEE IT in writing. If they can produce any documentation in a VISIBLE PUBLIC area, it's not policy!

eacurtis

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Could it be because you were a little bit betrayed bysomeone you were volunteering to help?
Ah ha.... I'm glad I posted now. Citizen - I think you hit it on the head. Believe it or not, I actually feel better now. Weird.

Jason Rogers

imported post

You could tell them you and the gun are a package deal. Since you are not getting paid to do the work they are looking a gift horse on the mouth. I recomend you don't voluntier.-Jay

Lthrnck

imported post

I don't remember seeing anywhere that "Company Policy" has to be in writing.

If the person he was talking to, has the authority, "Says" no guns then that's company policy.

Is that right.... NO. But I think it would fly in court.

Can anyone correct me.... I hope you can.. ?

PT111

imported post

Could it be because you were a little bit betrayed bysomeone you were volunteering to help?

I think that is the exact thing. I admire how the OP handled it and did not make a big deal out of it. Really shows class on his part. Now other fellow not so, not only was he looking a gift horse in the mouth but also kicking him in the ####'s. Whether he lied or not is not relavent as he clearly falsified it by intent. If he had said it's not posted but our policy would be one thing but to try to BS you is another.

maybe they don't need your help as much as you thought but has a nice word with him about it.

eacurtis

imported post

I'll probablly help the organization regardless, as they do need some help (most of their volunteers are in their 60's while my group is in our 30's - much easier to cut trees and brush).

Usually I'd shy away from doing business with businesses that don't allow at least concealed carry, but since it's not posted, I'm not employed by them, I doubt I'll have any form of "written handbook" or such as a volunteer, and it is for the greater good of the community, I'll still work with them.

I won't OC there, but since it's not posted, I'll CC.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eacurtis wrote:
I'll probablly help the organization regardless, as they do need some help (most of their volunteers are in their 60's while my group is in our 30's - much easier to cut trees and brush).
Big man!