Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who wants to organize the next OpenCarry meet in Portland?

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Again, thanks to all to who attended the open carry event in Hillsboro. Does anyone want to talke the lead in organizing the next event?

I'd be glad to, but I don't want to butt in if somebody else wants to take the ball and run with it.

Let me know in the next week. If nobody else steps up, I will be happy to organize the next event.

Party on Garth!!!

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Post imported post

Well, if it's in Hillsboro, us non CHLers won't be able to carry again.
    Soon enough I'll have it though - I predict early September.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Actually, I would prefer the next event not be in Hillsboro. I think we need to spread the locations around to accomodate folks from other areas. I would welcome suggestions. The only thing I screwed up on was not checking Federal law. The bogus Interstate Commerce thing about not possesing firearms within 1,000 ft. of a school caught me off guard, but there were enough people with CHL's open carrying that I think the event came off successfully.

Post imported post

We have some Salem/Eugene folks that I don't think have been able to attend a meet yet. Anybody feel like organizing a carpool from Portland down South and having one of them plan the next one somewhere semi-convenient for all?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I second grishnav's idea.

Ken

grishnav wrote:
    We have some Salem/Eugene folks that I don't think have been able to attend a meet yet. Anybody feel like organizing a carpool from Portland down South and having one of them plan the next one somewhere semi-convenient for all?

Post imported post

grishnav wrote:
    If we end up doing something down there, I don't mind driving from the Hillsboro area.

Edit to add:I have a 4 door, so 3 others are welcome to ride along.

Post imported post

Someday, when the OR group is bigger, we should have a big meet at Pioneer Courthouse Square. That would get some attention to the couse.

Post imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
    Someday, when the OR group is bigger, we should have a big meet at Pioneer Courthouse Square. That would get some attention to the couse.
    Yea, but what I was mentioning before is that people without a CHL can't carry. I think there's more to open carry than CHL holders, because I don't feel one should have to register with the government to have the right to protect themselves.

Keane wrote:
    grishnav wrote:
    If we end up doing something down there, I don't mind driving from the Hillsboro area.

Oh yes, and it's got extra ventilation. ;D

Post imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:

Keane wrote:
    grishnav wrote:

Oh yes, and it's got extra ventilation. ;D
    Nice. I knew when I posted this I'd get some comments like this

Post imported post

South?

How far south?

Furthersouth than Salem; asSalem also bans loaded firearms.

I prefer the "public park" gig myself, it seems more in the spirit of things than going to a private establishment.

Concerning the protocol for non CHL holders attending a open carry meet while in a banned area.... (like Pioneer Courthouse Square perhaps).....

I propose two options:

A) Carry your side arm openlyand unloaded. No mag inserted nor rounds in a mag while in your pocket.

B) Carry a empty holster, as a protest against the ordinances that prevent loaded carry.

Since we are advocating the right to open carry, A is my first suggestion. One can display his/her "tool" with in the letter of the law as it applies to non CHL holders.

Also we need to be aware of the potential problems that could arise by having firearms in cases (concealed) being carriedat meets by non CHL holders.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Also we need to be aware of the potential problems that could arise by having firearms in cases (concealed) being carriedat meets by non CHL holders.

Personally, if I host another OpenCarry event one of the ground rules will be to leave it in the holster and no cased weapons or oogle sessions! The more I think of last Saturday's session in Hillsboro, the more I realize that it could have potentially caused a problem that none of us would have wanted to deal with.

Post imported post

I think that your open carry meeting are great. While I live in Michigan and my son lives in Portland We do visit quite often. I would like Oregonian to work on reciprocal with Michigan. Michigan recognizes all other states. I don't quite under stand their thinking only neighboring states will be recognized.

Keep up the good work maybe next time I too can CCW and OPC in Oregon .

Gordon

P.S. May be I can open carry in Oregon, just not Portland. I have never heard of a local law superseding a State law. Where is your preemption law. May be work on that too.
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Howdy, PM me the next time you are going to be in Oregon and I'll be glad to host a range day for you at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.

Steve

Post imported post

Thanks Steve. My son and I did go to the gun show last year I can't remember where it was.
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

It would have been at the Portland Expo Center over by the race track off of I-5. I usually make it there a couple of times a year.

Steve

Post imported post

LaVere wrote:
    I think that your open carry meeting are great. While I live in Michigan and my son lives in Portland We do visit quite often. I would like Oregonian to work on reciprocal with Michigan. Michigan recognizes all other states. I don't quite under stand their thinking only neighboring states will be recognized.

Keep up the good work maybe next time I too can CCW and OPC in Oregon .

Gordon

P.S. May be I can open carry in Oregon, just not Portland. I have never heard of a local law superseding a State law. Where is your preemption law. May be work on that too.
    Our pre-emption law specifically allows certain municipalities (cities and counties) to make certain firearms laws (for example, controlling possession) provided they meet certain conditions (like, for example, they can't apply to CHL holders).

Post imported post

I hope I didn't come across preachy or condescending towards peeps w/o CHLs. I was in a hurry and tried to raise a quick point.

Personally, Ienjoy hooking up with you clowns. Your a personable group, with a wealth of collective knowledge.

If we shared an interest in say, stamps or fishing; showing off our hobbies is no big deal. However our shared interest seems to be firearms and the right to bare them. We have to be on the ball as this hobby is tangled in a web of laws.

I would hate to see someone loose the ability to get a CHL because theyinnocently had their handgun concealed while attending a picnic.. So to speak..

We have the opportunity to holdtwo more outdoor meets before the rains start (Sept & Oct) I hope we can continue to expand our group and cook more food.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Not preachy at all. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to lose their RKBA because of an innocent mistake, but as I've always said, even one mistake is too many when it comes to handling firearms and I'll be the first to admit I've made more than one.

I really like the idea of having a meet somewhere in the Salem area so some folks outside of the Portland Metro area can attend. Keane has offered to let some folks car pool and I can do the same either with my quad cab truck or my wife's Altima. Can someone in the Salem area take the lead on this?

Post imported post

Re: Car pooling.

I can offer up a VW Passat sedan that can carry four (including driver), if we'd head to a gathering in Salem or Eugene. Chip in a buck or two for gas, and we can share the load.

Post imported post

How About albany?? Iv OCed in all the parks.. no problems soo far..... and there are a few with picnic areas that are covered

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Sounds good to me. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Post imported post

ccw9mm wrote:

I can offer up a VW Passat sedan that can carry four (including driver), if we'd head to a gathering in Salem or Eugene. Chip in a buck or two for gas, and we can share the load.
    A buck or two for gas...?
    Man, you're kidding yourself.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Post imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
    100mi round trip, 4 people, 23mpg avg, so $18 gas for the trip = ~$4 per person.

Post imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
    ccw9mm wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL, I WISH my car got mileage as good as that one! Luckily I have the maxima for daily driving type stuff.

100 miles for the maxima is ~4-5 gallons, so like ccw9mm said, 16-20 bucks. A few bucks each person works out just about right.

Post imported post

100 miles ÷ 45 mpg = 2.22 gallons ÷ 2 people = 1.11 gallons each x $3.89 = $4.32 per person. About the same as a car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast