• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Working with law enforcement as a community

tito887

imported post

Hey everyone. Besides this online community I am also a member of students for concealed carry on campus. While watching the conference one of the speakers spoke of the continued advancement of second-amendment rights. He mentioned that eliminating gun free zones such as the ones at college universities would be the next advancement in the gun rights movement.

The speaker mentioned that besides expanding on the right back to it's original intent, we should also move towards making partnerships with the police community through volunteering as reserve officers, etc. I'm going to be visiting my local state police station to introduce myself, and letting them know that there are citizens that would like to work with the police to advance mutual respect with citizens and the police community.

I don't know how I will be able to volunteer but I want to give more to this community here in KY. I think that would be a great way that the OC community can work with police officers in a positive manner.

Michigander

imported post

Here in Arizona, and the other gold star states, and in many if not most parts of the other states, the cops have an understanding of the fact that while we might not exactly be their friends, we are not their enemies, and just like them, non cop gun owners support the common good.

While I certainly won't discourage anyone from being a volunteer cop, because it's a great way to help your community if you feel the urge, I don't think it has the potential to further our cause broadly. The thing is, we are their partners in supporting peace, because us gun owners are ready to protect ourselves and others if a violent criminal should attack us or others. If they can't understand that as it stands now, I doubt that joining them since we can't beat it into them will help.

Don't get me wrong, it might help in a few really anti gun departments, if some of us were to volunteer, gain their respect, then tell it like it is, but for the most part, I just don't see it.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cops are not the answer to restoring our 2A rights. while there are some who are on our side in this, far more just do not care. relying on others to take back our rights won't work.