• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on a new handgum

eacurtis

imported post

I have a HK4 (usually set to .380) and a .38, but the wife has okay'ed the purchase of a new gun ($1,000 limit for EVERYTHING). I'm looking at a 9mm or .40 because of ammo cost (under $15/50). This will be my third handgun (first purchase, though) and am looking for suggestion. It will be used for OC and frequent practice (2,000 round per year).

Some of the things on the "NEED" list include:

• 10+ round capacity
  • Various holsters availability (Level 2 or 3)
  • No revolvers
  • Newer looks & style (no 1911's).
Are there any suggestions on make/model (and maybe why?) so I can begin narrowing down the list?

VAopencarry

imported post

You will get so many answer it may not help. :)

Go to the gun store and start handling guns. You will elimate some models based on how they fit/feel in your hand.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Most people will tell you their favorites, and I'm no exception.

I was once told, "you can spend more money, but you can't buy a more reliable gun", and he was talking about a Glock. There really isn't any way to argue that. If a gun is for self defense, then the most important feature is that it go bang every time you pull the trigger. That's the biggest thing that Glock is known for.

Some people argue that they are ugly, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I think they look good- tough, no-nonsense, that kind of look.

On to models. If it's JUST for open carry, then a service size may be what you are looking for. My personal favorite is the G21, chambered for the .45 acp. It certainly looks imposing when carried openly, and is the gun I carry on the rare occasions I choose for open carry. Still, you mentioned you wanted 9mm or .40 S&W, which for the service models would be the G17 or G22, respectively. Any of them are a fantastic choice.

You should keep in mind that if you plan to conceal carry with this weapon AT ALL, you would probably be better off with a compact model, rather than a service model. The compacts (as opposed to the subcompacts) are small enough to conceal, yet still a decent sized pistol that is easy to fire. (For that matter, the subcompacts aren't particularly diificult to fire, either).

As for capacity, the the service models are 13, 15, and 17 rounds respectively, and even the subcompacts are 10 or more (except I think the G27 is 9).

The price for any Glock model should be between $450 and $550. This should leave plenty of money for a really nice holster, a laser, and perhaps even a pair of nice earrings to properly thank the Mrs. (that will pay off later, for sure).

Dustin

imported post

I was looking for the exact same thing you are.

I ended up buying a Springfield XDM Bi-Tone.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/11794.html

pix1280491218.jpg

p1010131bq7.jpg

p1010135qb0.jpg

All the details are in that thread.

BTW, It's the only weapon in it's class to offer 16+1 of 40 S&W out of the box.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it and LOVE IT. Very Crisp and smooth with an extremely short reset for double taps.

As always though, it will do you alot of good to get your hands on some weapons and see how they feel. Can you reach the mag release ok, can you easily lock the slide to the rear, when youdraw up the gun, can you find the sites quickly.

Stuff like that is good to look for.

I also like the XDM for the great many other features as well, but it definitely MEETS your listed criteria.

spectr019

imported post

I agree with the above two folk - Most people will give you their own favorites, and you should just run out to your store and see what you like!

If you don't know the history of the .40, here it is in a nutshell: Developed in 1990 by John Browning after continuous demand for a big bore (relative to handguns at least) caliber in a smaller package. What we got was something with similar stopping power from a .45acp in the package of a 9mm

Again, as was said earlier, you're going to get a ton of different responses, usually of people giving you their own preferences. MY preference is a .40. I very much like the power of the caliber from ballistic results, and I have 14 round magazines, which for a bullet that size isn't too shabby. Although sure you could go with a Glock 33 rd mag and rub that in my face, but it's alright :) You make it sound like this will be for self defense, so if you're going to be laying your life one the line one day (hoping that it doesn't come to that though for any of us), you should get what you're more comfortable shooting. Have fun!! That was my favorite part of getting my first guns, choosing which family of caliber I wanted :cool:

Ben

spectr019

imported post

P.S. - the springfield XD above is a pretty bad ass gun. I'm actually looking for a 9mm at the moment, that that's probably what I"m going to end up with

Ben

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given the OP criteria my personal preference would run to either a Sig P226 or P229 depending on size preference, both of which meet all the criteria. Both are available in .40 or 9mm. If you bought either in .40, conversion barrels to 9mm are readily available thereby giving you a .40 and a 9mm for a few extra hundred. They may not meet your "newer looks/style" criteria though.

I have not yet held an XD(m) (.40 only at this point) but am very impressed with them on paper and have heard hardly a bad thing about them and nothing bad that went beyond opinion. I need to get one in my hand and preferably to the range. Still, again within the OP criteria and being that most XD accessories fit the XD(m), I would put the XD(m) as a probable 2nd/3rd choice on my list. There is a 9mm conversion barrel for the XD9(m) but the only one so far I have seen requires fitting by a gunsmith.

The XD(m) certainly meets your newer looks/style requirement as well as the others. Actually, I have it on good authority (I read it on an internet blog so it must be true) that Springfield Armory and Blackhawk Industries paired up with Blackwater and other psuedo-military evil private corporations controlled by Dick Cheney and the neo-cons to send a production XD(m) through their super-uber-top secret worm hole spy track they use to bounce through time to read every e-mail sent and received by every American, listen to every US domestic phone call and to check whether or not you watch pron at work all without warrants, to the year 2491 and when it got there, Buck Rogers said, "Wow, that is a really modern looking gun even for the 25th century."

So there ya go, definitely modern looks/style (especially Dustin's stainless slide model which has grown on me to the point that I may get one of them before my next Sig).

MoparGuy

imported post

Dustin wrote:
I was looking for the exact same thing you are.

I ended up buying a Springfield XDM Bi-Tone.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/11794.html

pix1280491218.jpg

p1010131bq7.jpg

p1010135qb0.jpg

All the details are in that thread.

BTW, It's the only weapon in it's class to offer 16+1 of 40 S&W out of the box.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it and LOVE IT. Very Crisp and smooth with an extremely short reset for double taps.

As always though, it will do you alot of good to get your hands on some weapons and see how they feel. Can you reach the mag release ok, can you easily lock the slide to the rear, when youdraw up the gun, can you find the sites quickly.

Stuff like that is good to look for.

I also like the XDM for the great many other features as well, but it definitely MEETS your listed criteria.
Now that isone sweet weapon.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would go with the XDm you will have 17 rounds of .40cal and what can you say bad about that, other than it not being a .45ACP? But you are not looking for a .45 so it's all good:D