Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: First [True] OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    I know, I know, I've been a forum member here for a while and I've even made a fair number of posts, but...I've never actually done any true OC other than the "Virginia Tuck" every now and then.

    Well, today was different: I left my CCW at home when I went to the NRA Range since I wanted to get some practice in with my 1911. After doing the range-thing, I realized that I was on my last box of .22. Since Walmart was on my way home, I stopped by, still wearing my (now dirty) 1911 in its Bianchi UM84 holster.

    I felt somewhat self-conscious, but the tip given on this forum (and many others) that the other people are all primarily concerned about what's next on their shopping lists or corralling their kids kept running through my mind as I picked up some soap and made my way over to the ammo counter. And I felt reasonably confident in my ability to deal with the "holy crap! he's got a gun!" reactions (and possibly exchanging pleasantries with Law Enforcement).

    It seemed the only person who noticed was the man running the ammo counter. I was checking out some gun cleaning supplies when he came around the corner and saw me, and glanced down at my sidearm. He asked me about whether a license was required to own a handgun, and I told him the conditions for ownership and carry, and bade him a good day.

    I felt good as I was leaving, and the peanut M&Ms I picked up never tasted so good.

    OC won't be something I do often (I prefer to CC), but it was a neat little experience nonetheless.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Alright! Way to go!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    kle wrote:
    I prefer to CC
    I used to feel this way and have changed. I think there is a time for both. I like to OC more so that people see others carrying and realize it is ok. Maybe when they vote or discuss guns they will say "I see this guy shopping at ______ all the time and he has a gun and is always freidnly and professional".

    Now when I OC, I try to always have a digital recorder running and a hndful of my Open Carry info cards.

    Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Exactly, Ed. And that's why I try to be EXTRA nice to the guys at my 7-11 and Auto Zone. That, and they've always been nice to me.


    Well, that, and I shop both places a lot.

    I was even asked last week by a customer at the 7-11 "Hey, where's your gun?"
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    Think Positive, Stay Positive......!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Alright! Way to go!
    Thanks!

    ed wrote:
    kle wrote:
    I prefer to CC
    I used to feel this way and have changed. I think there is a time for both. I like to OC more so that people see others carrying and realize it is ok. Maybe when they vote or discuss guns they will say "I see this guy shopping at ______ all the time and he has a gun and is always freidnly and professional".

    Now when I OC, I try to always have a digital recorder running and a hndful of my Open Carry info cards.

    Ed
    One of the guys at the ammo counter knows me by-sight now, greets me jovially every time and asks if I need a box of my favorite (cheap) .22s; I'm certain he wouldn't be surprised if I was open-carrying in there while he was on-shift (he wasn't there tonight, though).

    marine2000 wrote:
    Think Positive, Stay Positive......!!!!!!!!!!!
    Prepare for the worst, be pleasantly-surprised when anything else happens =) There's definitely a positive effect to having a confident demeanor. I'll bet that if I looked outwardly nervous or looked like my sidearm was out-of-place I might've gotten more of a [negative] reaction (which I was looking to avoid).

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    And youall kept saying the Wal-Mart Map http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.htmlwas no good!

    Congratulations on your first OC experience.

    In case you forgot, newbie buys the beer and ammo.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    And youall kept saying the Wal-Mart Map http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.htmlwas no good!

    Congratulations on your first OC experience.

    In case you forgot, newbie buys the beer and ammo.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    The Fair Lakes Walmart's layout isn't quite like the first one in that post (the groceries are in the middle; I'm "kle" on that board, too =), but at least the in-store dining (it's a Subway in this case) and the ammo and everything else is in the same place...

    I especially liked the women's version =)

  9. #9
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Congrats.

    I almost exclusively OC, it is liberating.


    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    kle wrote:
    I felt somewhat self-conscious, but the tip given on this forum (and many others) that the other people are all primarily concerned about what's next on their shopping lists or corralling their kids kept running through my mind as I picked up some soap and made my way over to the ammo counter. And I felt reasonably confident in my ability to deal with the "holy crap! he's got a gun!" reactions (and possibly exchanging pleasantries with Law Enforcement).
    Congratulations!
    You'll find that over time you forget you are wearing it. People pick up on that and don't give it aanothe thought (in most cases).

    Remember when you first started CC'ing and it always felt like you were printing. Same thing.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    Congratulations!
    You'll find that over time you forget you are wearing it. People pick up on that and don't give it aanothe thought (in most cases).

    Remember when you first started CC'ing and it always felt like you were printing. Same thing.
    I actually modified my (Kydex) IWB holster so that it would stick in my side a little, just so I wouldn't forget that I was carrying (a little heat-gun applied to the part of the holster that protects me from the hammer on the draw). I've actually never felt self-conscious about my CCW, and I never worried about printing (I started pretty small--a Keltec, then a Taurus snubbie, and finally a Ruger snubbie; I ended up keeping the Taurus and selling the others since it was the smallest).

    But my 7+1-loaded C&L'ed full-size 1911 is much more conspicuous, especially in the nylon flap-holster I use for it (Bianchi UM84--basically, the M12 holster, but all-black). When I put it on to go to the range I was initially conscious about its bulk and weight, but after practicing some one-handed draw-and-fire drills on the range and then holstering it for the remainder of the time while I practiced some other disciplines, it felt OK on my side. By the time I was done with Walmart it felt like a natural part of my wardrobe.

    That's what I think you're getting at: I/We should act as if it is a natural part of my/our daily attire, since it is. From that, other people will generally see my/our calm demeanor and make the right assumptions.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    kle wrote:
    I felt somewhat self-conscious, but the tip given on this forum (and many others) that the other people are all primarily concerned about what's next on their shopping lists or corralling their kids kept running through my mind as I picked up some soap and made my way over to the ammo counter. And I felt reasonably confident in my ability to deal with the "holy crap! he's got a gun!" reactions (and possibly exchanging pleasantries with Law Enforcement).
    Congratulations!
    You'll find that over time you forget you are wearing it. People pick up on that and don't give it aanothe thought (in most cases).

    Remember when you first started CC'ing and it always felt like you were printing. Same thing.
    I do remember being 14 years old and sitting next to and frequently lusting over the hottie cheerleader in Mrs Guthrie's geometry class and then suddenly being called up to the chalkboard at the front of the room to show how I solved the homework problem and having this really self-conscious feeling that I was printing.

    First time CC and OC don't come close in levels of self-consciousness.

    ETA: For you younger guys reading that and thinking, "Ooww funny, but too soon." I apologize.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •