• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First [True] OC

kle

imported post

I know, I know, I've been a forum member here for a while and I've even made a fair number of posts, but...I've never actually done any true OC other than the "Virginia Tuck" every now and then.

Well, today was different: I left my CCW at home when I went to the NRA Range since I wanted to get some practice in with my 1911. After doing the range-thing, I realized that I was on my last box of .22. Since Walmart was on my way home, I stopped by, still wearing my (now dirty) 1911 in its Bianchi UM84 holster.

I felt somewhat self-conscious, but the tip given on this forum (and many others) that the other people are all primarily concerned about what's next on their shopping lists or corralling their kids kept running through my mind as I picked up some soap and made my way over to the ammo counter. And I felt reasonably confident in my ability to deal with the "holy crap! he's got a gun!" reactions (and possibly exchanging pleasantries with Law Enforcement).

It seemed the only person who noticed was the man running the ammo counter. I was checking out some gun cleaning supplies when he came around the corner and saw me, and glanced down at my sidearm. He asked me about whether a license was required to own a handgun, and I told him the conditions for ownership and carry, and bade him a good day.

I felt good as I was leaving, and the peanut M&Ms I picked up never tasted so good.

OC won't be something I do often (I prefer to CC), but it was a neat little experience nonetheless.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

kle wrote:
I prefer to CC
I used to feel this way and have changed. I think there is a time for both. I like to OC more so that people see others carrying and realize it is ok. Maybe when they vote or discuss guns they will say "I see this guy shopping at ______ all the time and he has a gun and is always freidnly and professional".

Now when I OC, I try to always have a digital recorder running and a hndful of my Open Carry info cards.

Ed

AbNo

imported post

Exactly, Ed. And that's why I try to be EXTRA nice to the guys at my 7-11 and Auto Zone. That, and they've always been nice to me.

Well, that, and I shop both places a lot.

I was even asked last week by a customer at the 7-11 "Hey, where's your gun?" :)

kle

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Alright! Way to go!
Thanks!

ed wrote:
kle wrote:
I prefer to CC
I used to feel this way and have changed. I think there is a time for both. I like to OC more so that people see others carrying and realize it is ok. Maybe when they vote or discuss guns they will say "I see this guy shopping at ______ all the time and he has a gun and is always freidnly and professional".

Now when I OC, I try to always have a digital recorder running and a hndful of my Open Carry info cards.

Ed
One of the guys at the ammo counter knows me by-sight now, greets me jovially every time and asks if I need a box of my favorite (cheap) .22s; I'm certain he wouldn't be surprised if I was open-carrying in there while he was on-shift (he wasn't there tonight, though).

marine2000 wrote:
Think Positive, Stay Positive......!!!!!!!!!!!
Prepare for the worst, be pleasantly-surprised when anything else happens =) There's definitely a positive effect to having a confident demeanor. I'll bet that if I looked outwardly nervous or looked like my sidearm was out-of-place I might've gotten more of a [negative] reaction (which I was looking to avoid).

kle

imported post

skidmark wrote:
And youall kept saying the Wal-Mart Map http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/730330-post50.htmlwas no good!

Congratulations on your first OC experience.

In case you forgot, newbie buys the beer and ammo. :D

stay safe.

skidmark
The Fair Lakes Walmart's layout isn't quite like the first one in that post (the groceries are in the middle; I'm "kle" on that board, too =), but at least the in-store dining (it's a Subway in this case) and the ammo and everything else is in the same place...

I especially liked the women's version =)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kle wrote:
I felt somewhat self-conscious, but the tip given on this forum (and many others) that the other people are all primarily concerned about what's next on their shopping lists or corralling their kids kept running through my mind as I picked up some soap and made my way over to the ammo counter. And I felt reasonably confident in my ability to deal with the "holy crap! he's got a gun!" reactions (and possibly exchanging pleasantries with Law Enforcement).
Congratulations!;)
You'll find that over time you forget you are wearing it. People pick up on that and don't give it aanothe thought (in most cases).

Remember when you first started CC'ing and it always felt like you were printing. Same thing.:D

kle

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Congratulations!;)
You'll find that over time you forget you are wearing it. People pick up on that and don't give it aanothe thought (in most cases).

Remember when you first started CC'ing and it always felt like you were printing. Same thing.:D
I actually modified my (Kydex) IWB holster so that it would stick in my side a little, just so I wouldn't forget that I was carrying (a little heat-gun applied to the part of the holster that protects me from the hammer on the draw). I've actually never felt self-conscious about my CCW, and I never worried about printing (I started pretty small--a Keltec, then a Taurus snubbie, and finally a Ruger snubbie; I ended up keeping the Taurus and selling the others since it was the smallest).

But my 7+1-loaded C&L'ed full-size 1911 is much more conspicuous, especially in the nylon flap-holster I use for it (Bianchi UM84--basically, the M12 holster, but all-black). When I put it on to go to the range I was initially conscious about its bulk and weight, but after practicing some one-handed draw-and-fire drills on the range and then holstering it for the remainder of the time while I practiced some other disciplines, it felt OK on my side. By the time I was done with Walmart it felt like a natural part of my wardrobe.

That's what I think you're getting at: I/We should act as if it is a natural part of my/our daily attire, since it is. From that, other people will generally see my/our calm demeanor and make the right assumptions.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
kle wrote:
Congratulations!;)

I do remember being 14 years old and sitting next to and frequently lusting over the hottie cheerleader in Mrs Guthrie's geometry class and then suddenly being called up to the chalkboard at the front of the room to show how I solved the homework problem and having this really self-conscious feeling that I was printing.

First time CC and OC don't come close in levels of self-consciousness. :cool:

ETA: For you younger guys reading that and thinking, "Ooww funny, but too soon." I apologize. ;)