• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reconditioning a holster.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How long have you had it?

My experience with leather has always been the opposite (saddles, bridles, and chaps). I had to oil them every so often to keep them supal. Between oilings (Neatsfoot Oil -nonpetroleum based) they would become dry and stiff.

Your holster may have been absorbing gun oil (petrolieum based oil) from the weapon and that is why it has gone limp. You may try taking a piece of wood and wittling it to the shape of you weapon, then stick it in the holster and lay it up for a spell to dry out. The wood shape will act as a mold. Petroleum based lubs tend to cause leather to rot.

If you can find a custom saddle maker (they are rare) they might be able to tell you something that will help.

markand

imported post

I've found that leather does become pliable over the years. This happens faster if the leather is thin. Thick leather holsters seem to last longer as do those with a double thickness around the holster mouth. Better yet, some even have a metal insert between the leather pieces around the mouth to help it hold its shape.

I've seen ads for holsters that use kydex on the inside and leather on the outside.

Speaking of which, you might give a Kydex holster a try. They never lose their shape or stiffness, unless exposed to powerful solvents or hundreds of degrees of heat, in which case holster stiffness is the least of your worries, especially if you're wearing it at the time :lol:.

You didn't mention if you have a belt or IWB holster, and this could make a big difference. Kydex might be too stiff for IWB use.

Hope this helps.

pileit1

imported post

The holster in question is an OWB with a thumb break. I don't believe it is a "name brand" holster. The only markings are a date stamp (9-94) and a circle with a W in it, or possibly an I and an N that form a W. It was used when I got it.

I have a Milt Sparks IWB with the metal insert. VERY nice holster! I picked it up for $5.00 !

The holster does grip the weapon very well, but you just about have to use both hands to re-holster.