• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An open apology

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Someone has pointed out that I am guilty of presenting a poor image of OC-ers and of firearms owners in general. I have taken the time to ponder their message, and realize that there is great truth in what they have said to me.

I have been in the habit of closing my welcomes to new posters and posters who report their maiden OC event with what I had previously considered to be a joke. I colsed with "Newbie buys the beer and ammo."

That does not present a good image of the OC community, because someone may get the impression that we OC-ers sit around drinking while we are armed.

I was also chastized because someone might get the impression that I am too cheap to buy my own ammo, and am soliciting only on my own behalf for some newbie to cover my shooting expenses, or some part of those expenses.

That does not present a good impression of me, and if I were soliciting on behalf of the membership of OCDO it would not present a good impression of the group.

Therefore, I resolve to no longer use that "tag line."

I'm not going to go back and read all my previous posts and edit it out where I have previously used it. I'm just not going to use it any more.

If I have in any way harmed the image of the OC community, of the members of OCDO, or of firearms owners in general, I most humbly apologize.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
but if you're not collecting from the newbies anymore where am, i, now going to get my discount beer and ammo?
Same place you get your camo and black BDUs!

Yata hey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think that some people take things overly seriously. I found it entirely clear that it was merely a running joke with newbies. I have seen similar concept newbie welcome "tag lines" from certain members at several automotive forums over the years and I can't imagine that anyone was thinking that we automotive enthusiasts were condoning or encouraging drunk driving.

I respect that you would make a public apology, Skidmark, although I think it wholly unnecessary. It certainly shows your character and I much respect that you were willing to do so.

hsmith

imported post

seriousbusiness2.jpg

but in seriousness, maybe telling them to sign up for the VCDL might be a better suggestion :)

cREbralFIX

imported post

People are too sensitive on the internet.

It's like the phone: someone who will scream at you over the phone will be meek and polite in person. I saw it all the time in tech support.

So where's the beer and ammo fund anyway?

PT111

imported post

I thought it was a great tagline and if someone actually thought you were serious I hae serious concerns about them. As far as it giving a bad image to OC it is no where near as bad as the image that some give in their pure hatred for LEO and the government that they exhibit in some of their posts.

Right or wrong and true or not if the average person were to read some of the post in here they would classify them as right-wing exremeist radicals. Sometimes people need to lighten up a little and enjoy more than just shooting guns all day. :lol:

Neplusultra

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I thought it was a great tagline and if someone actually thought you were serious I hae serious concerns about them.
Ditto for me. I understood it properly. Anyone taking your statement in the worst posible light is someone who *wants* to take it that way instead of giving the speaker the proper consideration due a stranger.

tripledipper

imported post

People who wish to participate on forums like this have to be willing to take it as well as give it. Regional sense of humors do notconnect with all people and the Commonwealth isincreasinglybecoming less native born. I caused a bit of a stir myself by suggesting immediate retribution for the slaying of LEO's and was put in my place quickly, and I accept the criticism. Emotions sometimes cloud rational thinking.

sccrref

imported post

I think it extremely sad when someone is incapable of getting such an obvious good natured jest. It makes me wonder if they are going to be able to contribute much of anything to this site. I hope that they can. I too did not see the need for you to apoligize but as stated before, it show your character.

W1MRS

imported post

As a newbie I did not take offence to it. I think some people need to get thicker skin. It is like any fraternity (police, fire department, est.) we make comments like that to lighten up the anxiety that some people have with posting something on a new site. Skidmark no apology necessary.

Bundabar

imported post

Soooooo.... What am I supposed to do with all of this Shiner Bock and .45ACP? I guess I'll take it down to goodwill...

EFB16ACRX

imported post

Its pretty sad that something like this offended someone to the point of requiring an apology.

ETA: would it be a bad thing to post a picture of a whole crapload of loaded mags and beer?:lol:

tarzan1888

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Someone has pointed out that I am guilty of presenting a poor image of OC-ers and of firearms owners in general. I have taken the time to ponder their message, and realize that there is great truth in what they have said to me.

I have been in the habit of closing my welcomes to new posters and posters who report their maiden OC event with what I had previously considered to be a joke. I colsed with "Newbie buys the beer and ammo."

That does not present a good image of the OC community, because someone may get the impression that we OC-ers sit around drinking while we are armed.

I was also chastized because someone might get the impression that I am too cheap to buy my own ammo, and am soliciting only on my own behalf for some newbie to cover my shooting expenses, or some part of those expenses.

That does not present a good impression of me, and if I were soliciting on behalf of the membership of OCDO it would not present a good impression of the group.

Therefore, I resolve to no longer use that "tag line."

I'm not going to go back and read all my previous posts and edit it out where I have previously used it. I'm just not going to use it any more.

If I have in any way harmed the image of the OC community, of the members of OCDO, or of firearms owners in general, I most humbly apologize.

stay safe.

skidmark

Skidmark.....You have a dry sense of humor....I have a dry sense of humor......Some have no sense of humor.

Ho harm....No foul.

Tarzan

PT111

imported post

Skidmark.....You have a dry sense of humor....I have a dry sense of humor......Some have no sense of humor.

I often hear people talk about a dry sense of humor but never a wet sense of humor. Is a wet sense of humor when tears come out of your eyes, snot out of your nose and you pee all over yourself?

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:

I often hear people talk about a dry sense of humor but never a wet sense of humor. Is a wet sense of humor when tears come out of your eyes, snot out of your nose and you pee all over yourself?

PT you almost made me have a "wet sense of humor" with that last post.

Man that is funny.

Tarzan