Thread: Detroit suburbs now harassing police for open carry? And using stun guns?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/304652830793531.bsp

Policeman sues suburb over stun-gun incident

Wed, Jul 30, 2008

FARMINGTON HILLS (AP) β€” A Detroit police officer who was in uniform when suburban officers zapped him with a stun gun has filed a lawsuit against Farmington Hills.

Sgt. David Marshall, who is black, said he was a victim of excessive force and racial profiling when Farmington Hills officers stopped him in his suburban neighborhood in December 2006.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in federal court in Detroit, names Farmington Hills, the city's former police chief and four officers.

The lawsuit says Marshall was hit three times with a Taser when he resisted an attempt by officers to take away his gun. Marshall was accused of obstructing police, but a judge dismissed the charge at trial.

Farmington Hills City Manager Steve Brock was unaware of the lawsuit and declined to comment.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/304652830793531.bsp

Policeman sues suburb over stun-gun incident

Wed, Jul 30, 2008

FARMINGTON HILLS (AP) β€” A Detroit police officer who was in uniform when suburban officers zapped him with a stun gun has filed a lawsuit against Farmington Hills.

Sgt. David Marshall, who is black, said he was a victim of excessive force and racial profiling when Farmington Hills officers stopped him in his suburban neighborhood in December 2006.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in federal court in Detroit, names Farmington Hills, the city's former police chief and four officers.

The lawsuit says Marshall was hit three times with a Taser when he resisted an attempt by officers to take away his gun. Marshall was accused of obstructing police, but a judge dismissed the charge at trial.

Farmington Hills City Manager Steve Brock was unaware of the lawsuit and declined to comment.
    Too little information from the source on what, why, happened.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I consider Detroit PD to be in a league with Chicago and N.O. Doesn't make him guilty of anything though. Interesting how four "news" stories manage to convey almost nothing about what really happened. He said, she said is not reporting the news.

Post imported post

They tried to disarm an officer in uniform and then tased him ? WTF ???

There has got to be more to this story then meets the eye--or a critical lack of pertinent information.

Post imported post

CaptainFinn wrote:
    There has got to be more to this story then meets the eye--or a critical lack of pertinent information.
    My point exactly.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
    CaptainFinn wrote:
    My point exactly.
    FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. -- Investigators are looking into what led to the use of a Taser gun on a Detroit police officer following a traffic stop early Wednesday morning.Police said the incident was caught on a camera mounted inside a Farmington Hills police car. Farmington Hills police said they pulled over Detroit police Sgt. David Marshall after he allegedly ran a red light at 10 Mile and Middlebelt roads. Marshall continued to drive toward his home, stopped in his driveway and then got out of the car, sources said. He was driving his personal vehicle but was still wearing his police uniform.Sources who have seen the video tape of the incident said Marshall was shocked with a Taser gun after he refused to put his gun in the car at the request of the officer. Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer said his officer acted responsibly and no action is being taken. Detroit police would not comment and said the incident is under administrative review, which includes looking at a copy of the video.Marshall faces three charges: interfering with an officer, resisting arrest and running a red light.

From

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10541205/detail.html

Follow Up:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10561099/detail.html

Post imported post

Mr.Blue wrote:
    Tucker6900 wrote:
    CaptainFinn wrote:
    My point exactly.
    FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. -- Investigators are looking into what led to the use of a Taser gun on a Detroit police officer following a traffic stop early Wednesday morning.Police said the incident was caught on a camera mounted inside a Farmington Hills police car. Farmington Hills police said they pulled over Detroit police Sgt. David Marshall after he allegedly ran a red light at 10 Mile and Middlebelt roads. Marshall continued to drive toward his home, stopped in his driveway and then got out of the car, sources said. He was driving his personal vehicle but was still wearing his police uniform.Sources who have seen the video tape of the incident said Marshall was shocked with a Taser gun after he refused to put his gun in the car at the request of the officer. Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer said his officer acted responsibly and no action is being taken. Detroit police would not comment and said the incident is under administrative review, which includes looking at a copy of the video.Marshall faces three charges: interfering with an officer, resisting arrest and running a red light.

From

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10541205/detail.html

Follow Up:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10561099/detail.html

Thanks for filling us in. EXCELLENT post +1

Post imported post

I wish I could find a video of the event...it showed what happened, and would allow everyone to form an opinion of their own...I'll keep digging.

-=Corey=-

Post imported post

Here's a link to local news with some dashcam video:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pa...p;pageId=3.1.1
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Looks like he was still treated better then a Detroit officer would treat me for doing the something. Just try to imagine what would happen if I refused to surrender my gun????????/

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

A pox on both their houses.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

In this video I saw ~10 seconds of 'failure to stop' and not the beginning of the stop, the aggressive cop with his hands on the victim and the victim walking out of field of view with his hands in his pocket.

Post imported post

Looks like two officers who each have a sense of entitlement to do as they please. And they managed to find each other.

Post imported post

See if you can guess what's going to happen to the next Farmington Hills officer who runs a stop sign in Detroit...