• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions about "Private Business"

ainokea

imported post

I know this has been discussed a lot on this forum and the threads usually get hyjacked, however, I am very interesed to hear other peoples perspectives.

I am a very strong 2A supporter and also a very strong supporter of the rights of individuals. With that being said what is the logic behind trying to make "private business" allow OC in their stores?

Please note I am not try to start a war here, I am just trying to see things from the other side of the fence!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't believe we are trying to make businesses allow OC. We do (as does WA law) differentiate between a clerk saying "no" and the owner/corp. saying "no".

Certainly there is no law or moral injuntion I'm aware of that once an establishment does say "no" we are proscribed from emails or letter trying to sway their decision.

Where do you get "force"?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I am absolutely in favor of property rights. If I owned a business, and did not want you to wear your pants hanging halfway off your @$$, then I would post a sign. :D

The only reason I press the issue with WalMart, is because I want the corporate offices to tell me once and for all if they want my money or not.

schwarzi88

imported post

I'm the owner of a private buisness on private prop. and hmmmmmm ..... my feelings on guns on my prop. should be quite clear!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

33itmefs wrote:
Ya know boss, if they dont want it, Id be more than happy to unload that burden from you. I take checks or cash.
Sure. Just tell me the name of the business you work for, and I would be glad to help you out. :p

ainokea

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
I don't believe we are trying to make businesses allow OC. We do (as does WA law) differentiate between a clerk saying "no" and the owner/corp. saying "no".

Certainly there is no law or moral injuntion I'm aware of that once an establishment does say "no" we are proscribed from emails or letter trying to sway their decision.

The example that comes to mind is Walmart. There offical corporate response is no guns period as was posted on here in another topic, after that post was made a lot of members this site wanted to "protest walmart" invarious ways. ie. picketing, knowingly OCing into stroesagainst the Corp Policy looking for a confrontation from store employees or management.

I think it reasonable to write letters or emails to voice your opinions to the corporation. The part I have issue with is the fact that people are blatantly trying to force OC into "private property" when they are fully aware of the policy that is in place. To put it quite bluntly, the issue was forced at several walmart stores before the policy was issued and causedwalmart to write a policy to ban all guns. It seemscounter productive to me.

Think of it in this reguard. For instance you don't want guns in you home and the neighborhood knows it, but instead of respecting your wishes evertime one of them comes over they have a gun strspped to their hipand "force" you to tell them that they are not welcome here with their gun. IMO - It just gives a person more reasons to hate guns.

Don't get me wrong I fully support OCing on public property and where private property owner wish to allow it. I think the main issue here is where is the line between OCing friendly and OCing to "bend" the rights of citizens.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ainokea wrote:
Jim675 wrote:

The example that comes to mind is Walmart. There offical corporate response is no guns period as was posted on here in another topic, after that post was made a lot of members this site wanted to "protest walmart" invarious ways. ie. picketing, knowingly OCing into stroesagainst the Corp Policy looking for a confrontation from store employees or management.

I think it reasonable to write letters or emails to voice your opinions to the corporation. The part I have issue with is the fact that people are blatantly trying to force OC into "private property" when they are fully aware of the policy that is in place. To put it quite bluntly, the issue was forced at several walmart stores before the policy was issued and causedwalmart to write a policy to ban all guns. It seemscounter productive to me.

Think of it in this reguard. For instance you don't want guns in you home and the neighborhood knows it, but instead of respecting your wishes evertime one of them comes over they have a gun strspped to their hipand "force" you to tell them that they are not welcome here with their gun. IMO - It just gives a person more reasons to hate guns.

Don't get me wrong I fully support OCing on public property and where private property owner wish to allow it. I think the main issue here is where is the line between OCing friendly and OCing to "bend" the rights of citizens.
I certainly may be out of date, but as of July, WalMart's policy was to follow state laws. Please see:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13955&forum_id=55&highlight=walmart+policy

If a store does not want to have people armed they are certainly free to post that policy so they can avoid having each individual question them. I could "post" my front lawn as well of course.

I do not OC where the actual owner/Corp. HQ says no.

Any policy posted by a store certainly makes it fair game for individuals or groups who wish to lobby them to change their policy.
Is it wrong for a consumer to say "I won't shop at your store unless you change policy X?" Of course not, the economic freedom to make that choice is what drives businesses to change and grow. Company A says no and Company B says yes to a policy I'm concerned with - I'm buying at B and telling A why. As it should be.

ainokea

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
I certainly may be out of date, but as of July, WalMart's policy was to follow state laws. Please see:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13955&forum_id=55&highlight=walmart+policy

If a store does not want to have people armed they are certainly free to post that policy so they can avoid having each individual question them. I could "post" my front lawn as well of course.

I do not OC where the actual owner/Corp. HQ says no.

Any policy posted by a store certainly makes it fair game for individuals or groups who wish to lobby them to change their policy.
Is it wrong for a consumer to say "I won't shop at your store unless you change policy X?" Of course not, the economic freedom to make that choice is what drives businesses to change and grow. Company A says no and Company B says yes to a policy I'm concerned with - I'm buying at B and telling A why. As it should be.

I would suggest you read this topic: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/14339.html

I am not saying that people should roll over an agree with the policy, just be careful how you voiceyour opinion. IMO -By OCing where you know it is not"welcomed" is not going to accomplish anything positive for the OC movent. If anything it may cause laws to be passed that allow no firearm signs to have "weight" behind themin the way of tresspassing charges with out verbal notification first. In Utah these laws currently have no legal weight as I found out a short time ago. I always obeyed the request and left my firearm secured elsewhere if I chose to enter.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ainokea wrote:

This letter was not from corporate WalMart. The first letter was from a legal guru from WalMart to a market manager. Nothing in that first letter directed anyone to disallow firearm carry.

The second letter was from that market manager, to his 15 or so stores in Utah. This market manager has a bug up his @$$, and the guy from the legal department did not give him a clear answer.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ainokea wrote:
I know this has been discussed a lot on this forum and the threads usually get hyjacked, however, I am very interesed to hear other peoples perspectives.

I am a very strong 2A supporter and also a very strong supporter of the rights of individuals. With that being said what is the logic behind trying to make "private business" allow OC in their stores?

Please note I am not try to start a war here, I am just trying to see things from the other side of the fence!

My view is because there is money in the store. Bad guys like money. I have go to stores to buy stuff for me to live, so I have to go where the bad guys like to go. The choice for me is, shop for goods and live the american dream, or not shop and live in a cardboard box and starve to death. I choose to go the the store. :) Since I have to go to the store, It is only fair that if the bad guys get to bring their guns and knives into the store to steal and hurt people, then I should be albe to take my gun tooso I can protect myself and my family. It's only fair, aye? If a business wants to ban guns and the bad guys hurt me or my family, then the business should at least be liable for the damages, don't you think? They, afterall, took away my means to protect myself on their property, so they should be held responsible. That is just my opinion. To me the "store" or place of "business" where there is cold hard cash that is "open to the public" and enguaged in "commerce" should not be able to deprive me of my right to protect myself as long as they are bait for bad guys.

Kevin

ainokea

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
ainokea wrote:

My view is because there is money in the store. Bad guys like money. I have go to stores to buy stuff for me to live, so I have to go where the bad guys like to go. The choice for me is, shop for goods and live the american dream, or not shop and live in a cardboard box and starve to death. I choose to go the the store. :) Since I have to go to the store, It is only fair that if the bad guys get to bring their guns and knives into the store to steal and hurt people, then I should be albe to take my gun tooso I can protect myself and my family. It's only fair, aye? If a business wants to ban guns and the bad guys hurt me or my family, then the business should at least be liable for the damages, don't you think? They, afterall, took away my means to protect myself on their property, so they should be held responsible. That is just my opinion. To me the "store" or place of "business" where there is cold hard cash that is "open to the public" and enguaged in "commerce" should not be able to deprive me of my right to protect myself as long as they are bait for bad guys.

Kevin
Thank you!!

That is aviewpoint I can totally understand.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
ainokea wrote:

Kevin
Wow, I dont think there is one thing in there I can argue. Makes sense, I completely understand where you are coming from.
......................... <---Thats me 'speechless'.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
attachment.php
......................... <---Thats me 'speechless'.
Well look who decided to get over his hangover and wake up this fine afternoon, nice to see you in regular form today!
This was just very well said:

"The choice for me is, shop for goods and live the american dream, or not shop and live in a cardboard box and starve to death. I choose to go the the store. :) Since I have to go to the store, It is only fair that if the bad guys get to bring their guns and knives into the store to steal and hurt people, then I should be albe to take my gun tooso I can protect myself and my family."

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Here is my feelings about Wal-Mart

I have tried several times to get the policy in writing It's Corprate that will not give me any policy on firearms at Wal-Mart I have spent 2 Months total trying to get a response from Rolando Rodrigez The regional VP. He will not take the time to respond back to me about my question spent several hours a week trying to get a clear answer nothing from Corprate.

My other concern is Wal-Mart Accepts federal and state assistance from the goverment. Ie Food Stamps WIC and other forurm of assistance from the goverment. Also Wal-Mart Has no membership or entry requirements to enter not a secured area by any means. They have never posted any sign to prohibit firearms.

Wal-Mart sells Rifle's, Federal and state fishing and hunting license's. They are subject to all state and federal laws where a private residence does not have Like OSHA State Fire Marshalls and building code.

So how is this definded as private property when it is open 24 Hrs a day to everyone who wants to enter through the doors of Wal-Mart Maybe some of these issues need to be brought up to the State Legislature.

I would be happy to comply to Wal-Marts Written Policy on firearms from a coperate level which has never been done before so anyone who would like to comment feel free again these are just my thoughts and feelings