• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally taking the plunge!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

OK, OK. I know I've been against some of the "requirements" we need to satisfy just to get a CCDW License, but since the process isn't going to change (and could get worse in the future), and the benefits are greater, I've decided to go ahead and get my CCDW. This isn't to say I'll be giving up OC, but a CCDW just adds to the "options" I have, and will allow me to get a LTCF in PA, too.... I did have to dip into my AR-15 savings funds, but first thing's first!

I started the process last week. And before the month's end I should have everything I need (including the course) completed anddropped off to the Prothonotary's office.

Here's my timeline, which will be updated as things get done:

07/27/08: Had "basic training" which applies towardsguncourse requirements

08/07/08:News Journaladapplication filled out,returned,paid for, and verified.

08/07/08: Fingerprints scheduled for 08/26 (2.5 week wait isn't too bad).

08/07/08: began filling out CCDW application. Will add "reasons" later.

08/08/08: Gun Permit ad ran in The News Journal

08/09/08: 1st Reference completed

08/14/08: 2nd Reference completed

08/17/08: 3rd Reference completed

08/20/08: received Affidavit of Publication of Gun Permit ad

08/21/08: 4th Reference completed

08/22/08: 5th reference completed, application finished and notarized

08/24/08: CCDW Gun Course completed and training certificate notarized

08/25/08: Gun Course cert received, photos taken and printed, all docs photocopied (and scanned)

08/26/09: Fingerprints taken, complete CCDW package handed in to Prothonotary

I was told 30-90 days to process and receive my License (assuming my DIY photos are acceptable).

I can't WAIT!!!! :celebrate

UPDATE:

I've been checking the mail religiously looking for my approval letter for the past few weeks. Someone who applied BEFORE me already got his. :( What's the holdup?

UPDATE:

10/15/08: Got a call from the AG's Office. They want to interview me tomorrow :shock:

10/16/08: 9:00am, AG Interview pertaining to my CCDW License application

If I don't post here later tomorrow, come bail me out of jail.

UPDATE:

10/16/08: 10:00am: Back from AG Interview. It all went fine I suppose, because he's going to submit my app as soon as I drop off better photos for him.

10/16/08: Got 2 passport photos taken after work. Will drop them off tomorrow.

10/17/08: 8:30am, dropped my photos off right into the hands of my Interviewer.

UPDATE:

10/29/08: Received AG's letter: DENIED. :cry:

UPDATE:

11/22/08: Received Court's letter: DENIED. :cry: :cry:

It wasn't really a surprise after my AG's letter, but it still hurts and makes me feel... like a criminal.

PT111

imported post

Wow, all that? Mine for SC went sometning like this

Wednesday - Wife carried half of $75 deposit for course by gun store to hold place in class.

Friday at 6:00 - 10:00 Classroom training including a movie and some discussion. Very good session on Castel Doctrine and meaning of it. Take a break while Deputy Sheriff stops by to fingerprint everyone. Instructor makes copy of everyone's drivers license for us.

Saturday 8:00-11:30 Meet at range and have session on gun safety. Have poloroid picture made and fill out application. Go out and shoot 100 rounds. 50 for practice and 50 for actual qualifying. (Hot as heck that day so we quit early).

11:30-12:00 Go back inside, take written test and finalize application including addressing envelope.

Monday on way to work - Write check for $50 to SLED and stop by post office to make sure enough postage on envelope.

Exactly 60 days laterreceive CWP in mail.

Day 61 - Apply for NH permit. :)

daboi_me

imported post

If U don't mind me askin'... wut reasons did you give for wanting to carry. I am in the process of getting my last 2 references. but I was reading that they are very sensitive as to this part of the application. And that "protection of sefl and/or family" is not enuff

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well,I mentioned how violent crime has been increasing at an alarming rate, and since my family lives, works, or plays in Delaware, I am requesting that my app be approved so I can effectively protect my family if ever their lives were in danger.

I worded it a little differently, but that's the basics of it.

soloban

imported post

Damn! Thats quite a process. Down here in VA I walked in with my notarized application, a $50 check and proof of competency with a firearm. About 1 1/2 months later the permit arrived in the mail.

MetalChris

imported post

soloban wrote:
Damn! Thats quite a process. Down here in VA I walked in with my notarized application, a $50 check and proof of competency with a firearm. About 1 1/2 months later the permit arrived in the mail.
In WA state it's even more simple. I walked in with my drivers license (expired), .mil ID, filled out the paperwork, paid the fee, and had my CHP mailed to mein approx. 45 days.

c45man

imported post

Yes metal. That is why Delaware is not considered among the 40 shall issue states even though it is not as bad as the other 9 in the Delaware category.

radnor

imported post

soloban wrote:

Line on our application:
Wherefore, Applicant prays that the Superior Court issue a license pursuant to 11 Del. Code § 1441.
http://courts.delaware.gov/forms/download.aspx?id=6218 Look on the application. We are a MAY issue state. It was introduced in 06 to make us a SHALL issue state. But it got so watered down with restrictions.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, I'm back from the interview.

He went through my app and my criminal/DMV records w/ me, getting my take/reactions to things. I toldhim the truth and was brief in my answers.

He did question me OCing at a Meet the Cops Day event in a County Park, and that carry in the park was illegal. I explained that it's an illegal ordnance, and that I carry wherever and whenever I can. He also asked if anyone has had a problem w/ me carrying in public, I told him no, that people either think I'm a cop, or they actually don't even notice.

He also told me my DIY photos were unacceptable and that I need to get passport ones doneASAP and dropped off to him so he can submit my app.

So, I guess I'm still good-to-go w/my CCDW app!!

(more detailed post over at DELOC - bottom of page 2)

c45man

imported post

Dave..........About how much did this process cost you for your "plunge"?

dave_in_delaware

imported post

c45man wrote:
$73 for newspaper "ad" for my intent to apply for a CCDW License (one-day ad)
$69 for fingerprints at State Police's State Bureau of Identification
$35 for filing fee at Prothonotary's office
$ 8 for passport-type photos
---------
$185 so far

I had the notary done by a friend, so there was no charge.

I had the gun course done by another friend, and he said to get my license first and then we'd worry about the cost. Typically courses run anywhere from $200-350.

So, depending on what the course will run me, I'm probably easily looking at over $400 for the "plunge."

(and never mind the time required for setting up appointments, getting 5 personal references, getting prints done, dropping off the application, and - for me - a personal interview at the AG's office).

And to top it off, DE is a May Issue State, which means I could still get denied by the judge.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
soloban wrote:
In WA state it's even more simple. I walked in with my drivers license (expired), .mil ID, filled out the paperwork, paid the fee, and had my CHP mailed to mein approx. 45 days.
For residents it's even easier. I walked in, filled out the paperwork, paid the fee, and received my CPL in 30 days. Some places even give it to you before you leave. It all depends on which office you go to.

KBCraig

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
c45man wrote:
$73 for newspaper "ad" for my intent to apply for a CCDW License (one-day ad)
Good lord! Did they require you to take out a display ad, instead of just a simple ad in the "notices" section of the classifieds?

dave_in_delaware

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Good lord! Did they require you to take out a display ad, instead of just a simple ad in the "notices" section of the classifieds?
Just a small text "ad" in the legal notices section. Basically giving my name, address, and telling people my intent to apply for a CCDW License.

It's really stupid to advertise your intent for a CONCEALED carry permit. Sort of defeats the purpose. But, it's one of the requirements.