• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg is fantastic with CHPs

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I submitted my CHP paperwork at 11 AM on the 28th of July and received a call that I could pick it up at 1 PM on August 8th. Just picked it up today.

12 Day turnaround time! :celebrate

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup I was impressed. Lynchburg wasn't quite as fast as the State of Arizona, which had mine submitted and then received in less than two weeks. Lynchburg folk were also friendly to deal with. :)

eyesopened

imported post

asforme wrote:
I submitted my CHP paperwork at 11 AM on the 28th of July and received a call that I could pick it up at 1 PM on August 8th. Just picked it up today.

12 Day turnaround time! :celebrate
When I did mine a few years ago, it took 20 days in PWC. Not as good as 12, but way better than waiting the full 45.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was hoping for some kind of record after reading how Fairfax is about this stuff. But apparently Bedford County is even more bored than Lynchburg.:lol:

ecdmb

imported post

I'll be dropping off my Roanoke County forms tomorrow...

Hopefully I'll have good luck, too.

GoldDot

imported post

12 calendar days for me- 8 working days in the Burg.

Only problem was that I had to make the call inquiring about the status. It was ready a few days before I called, but was not contacted.

Can't complain too much

Godscreation

imported post

NC, law says sheriff can take up to 90 days:
My county averages 40-60, and I couldn't get an appointment till Oct. 3rd, because they were booked through Sept. Apparently everyone wants a CHP in Charlotte.:uhoh:

nova

imported post

Not to hijack but anyone know what Fairfax averages? I know one or two people who will be turning their papers in soon, just curious myself :)

W1MRS

imported post

Quick question. I put my paperwork in in Nelson for my CHP and I am waiting to get it. After I get it, if I move to another county in Virginia is my CHP still valid and do I have to apply again in the county I move to or do I just reapply when my 5 years are up?

nova

imported post

W1MSR wrote:
Quick question. I put my paperwork in in Nelson for my CHP and I am waiting to get it. After I get it, if I move to another county in Virginia is my CHP still valid and do I have to apply again in the county I move to or do I just reapply when my 5 years are up?
After you get your permit you are not required to get a new one if you change your address...you can get a new one if you want to but you have to pay a fee.

dyver1

imported post

I got mine in Fairfax in May 2008.

It took about 35 days from application to permit delivery.

Do not forget the Self Addressed Stamped Envelope, cause they mail them to you which is sweet. No having to go back to the court house to pick up your permit. :)

Good Luck

Paul

sportwinger

imported post

They take there time in Faquier county . Or mite have been alot of people getting theirs. When I went to pick mine up i saw a 2 inch stack of CHP's waiting to get picked up.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

sportwinger wrote:
They take there time in Faquier county . Or mite have been alot of people getting theirs. When I went to pick mine up i saw a 2 inch stack of CHP's waiting to get picked up.
Fauquier County also has been known to demand that applicants produce a driver's license - don;t let them get away with that - show up with your application already notarized and just handd it in - no ID is required to apply for a CHP - if you provide a DL, they are going to copy it and put it in your CHP file, a public record for all to see, copy, and put on the Internet.