• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty holster protest for the TSA

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

So I just got back from a week long trip to California. I decided that I wanted to let the TSA know what I believe in. So, last Saturday, I wore my empty leather Galco holster and my black Glock polo shirt to the airport. I checked my bag, (no firearm) and went to the security checkpoint to have my rights violated. Nobody said a word about my holster. I did , however, get a very strange look from a customer in one of the airport gift shops.

I then went to the gate where my plane was. It was one of the ground level gates, where you walk outside, on the tarmac to get to the little sardine can of a plane. There were two men there to collect any oversized carry on luggage. One of them noticed my shirt and holster. He said, "Hey! I have a Glock too, and I love it! Too bad they wouldn't let you carry yours on." I aggreed with him and boarded my flight.

I flew into the Ontario, California airport. On my way back home, I was dropped off three hours early. I went through security again without issue, and while putting my shoes back on I decided to stay there near the TSA checkpoint and observe. I sat there for two hours and studied their profiling. I was very surprised to find out who they target the most for additional screening. Women and children. I thought for sure it would be some type of male minority, but very few were actually stopped.

I am guessing that they don't intentionally stop more women than men. I came to the conclusion that since women carry way too much crap onto the plane, they are searched more. I noticed that many of these women did not follow the advice on the signs about the liquids. Many of the women had their bottles of lotion and and other liquid product taken away from them because they were too large. As for children, I could not see any reason for the additional screening.

So I guess what I am getting at is that my non-carry was a non-issue! Thanks, TSA. :cuss:

Mr. Magnum

imported post

Hey SJ, you forgot to jump up & down at the checkpoint while shouting "violate me! violate me!":lol:

(Runs away quickly)....:celebrate

mazellan819

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
So I just got back from a week long trip to California.  I decided that  I wanted to let the TSA  know what  I believe in.  So, last Saturday, I wore my empty leather Galco holster and my black Glock polo shirt to the airport.  I checked my bag, (no firearm) and went to the security checkpoint to have my rights violated.  Nobody said a word about my holster.  I did , however, get a very strange look from a customer in one of the airport gift shops.

I then went to the gate where my plane was.  It was one of the ground level gates, where you walk outside, on the tarmac to get to the little sardine can of a plane.  There were two men there to collect any oversized carry on luggage.  One of them noticed my shirt and holster.  He said, "Hey!  I have a Glock too, and I love it!  Too bad they wouldn't let you carry yours on."  I aggreed with him and boarded my flight.

I flew into the Ontario, California airport.  On my way back home, I was dropped off three hours early.  I went through security again without issue, and while putting my shoes back on I decided to stay there near the TSA checkpoint and observe.  I sat there for two hours and studied their profiling.  I was very surprised to find out who they target the most for additional screening.  Women and children.  I thought for sure it would be some type of male minority, but very few were actually stopped.

I am guessing that they don't intentionally stop more women than men.  I came to the conclusion that since women carry way too much crap onto the plane, they are searched more.  I noticed that many of these women did not follow the advice on the signs about the liquids.  Many of the women had their bottles of lotion and and other liquid product taken away from them because they were too large.  As for children, I could not see any reason for the additional screening.

So I guess what I am getting at is that my non-carry was a non-issue!  Thanks, TSA.  :cuss:

When I worked for TSA the extra screening was done to the next person in line. We would select a person and when they were done we would walk over to the line and take the very next person in line no matter who it was. I don't know if that is still how its done since that was 5 years ago but that was how we did it.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
When I worked for TSA the extra screening was done to the next person in line. We would select a person and when they were done we would walk over to the line and take the very next person in line no matter who it was. I don't know if that is still how its done since that was 5 years ago but that was how we did it.
The next person in line is every person. ;)

swillden

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
Interesting. That's an excellent, and simple, way to do random selection while avoiding profiling. Not as good as using an actual source of randomness (dice, computer, whatever), but good.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:
Interesting. That's an excellent, and simple, way to do random selection while avoiding profiling. Not as good as using an actual source of randomness (dice, computer, whatever), but good.
Call me an idiot, but I still don't get it. Isn't the next person in line, every person in line?

mazellan819

imported post

Ok let me see if I can explain this better.

You have TSA screener. He starts his shift of screening and selects a person coming through the checkpoint. Whom ever happens to be coming through at that vary moment.

The TSA screener takes that person aside and does the screening. Usually took 2 to 4 min depending on if there were any alarms. Meanwhile there are other passengers that are continuing to move through the checkpoint. Once the TSA screener has completed the screening, he returns back to the same lane they took the first person from and selects the very next person in line and repeats the process until they are moved to a different station. Usually there are only one ore two screeners doing screening per checkpoint line. Not everyone is selected. It is randomly every 5th to 10th person depending on how fast the line is moving.

Does this make more sense?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, this makes more sense. As soon as they are done "probing" someone, they take the poor bastard who happens to be next in line for the metal detector.

I think profiling has a better chance of succeeding than this method.

No, wait, I take it back. I think if the airlines issued everyone a firearm before they boarded their flight, then we would have no need for the TSA.

I wonder if there is any data on which (if any) airlines would like to see freedom on their flights?

mazellan819

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Yes, this makes more sense.  As soon as they are done "probing" someone, they take the poor bastard who happens to be next in line for the metal detector.

No, wait, I take it back.  I think if the airlines issued everyone a firearm before they boarded their flight, then we would have no need for the TSA.

I wonder if there is any data on which (if any) airlines would like to see freedom on their flights?

I completely agree!

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Yes, this makes more sense. As soon as they are done "probing" someone, they take the poor bastard who happens to be next in line for the metal detector.

No, wait, I take it back. I think if the airlines issued everyone a firearm before they boarded their flight, then we would have no need for the TSA.

I completely agree!
A Firearm for everyone would probably be cheaper too... Just turn it back in at the end of the flight...

swillden

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

I think arming passengers would be more effective, but random selection actually is more effective than profiling.

The problem with profiling is that the bad guys just have to figure out the profile, then find someone who doesn't fit it to carry out the attack. Random selection is much better, because it means that the terrorists must assume that there is a chance they'll be selected, and caught, which means they'll never get to die gloriously for their cause.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:

You have TSA screener. He starts his shift of screening and selects a person coming through the checkpoint. Whom ever happens to be coming through at that vary moment.

The TSA screener takes that person aside and does the screening. Usually took 2 to 4 min depending on if there were any alarms. Meanwhile there are other passengers that are continuing to move through the checkpoint. Once the TSA screener has completed the screening, he returns back to the same lane they took the first person from and selects the very next person in line and repeats the process until they are moved to a different station. Usually there are only one ore two screeners doing screening per checkpoint line. Not everyone is selected. It is randomly every 5th to 10th person depending on how fast the line is moving.

It makes great sence... so explain to me how this happened at SLC....

My Cousin and I were both flying SLC to LAX on oneway tickets. He had purchased his ticket 3-4 weeks earlier and minewaspurchased the night before.We went through the same line with the SAME TSA screener and were BOTH selected for the SPECIAL treatment! I went first and he was told to wait to go after me!

TRUE STORY!

JoeSparky

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:

It makes great sence... so explain to me how this happened at SLC....

My Cousin and I were both flying SLC to LAX on oneway tickets. He had purchased his ticket 3-4 weeks earlier and minewaspurchased the night before.We went through the same line with the SAME TSA screener and were BOTH selected for the SPECIAL treatment! I went first and he was told to wait to go after me!

TRUE STORY!

JoeSparky
You both triggered a flag, it's pretty simple, they have "random" screening, and they have screening based on certain criteria.
More than likely you both fit the criteria they were looking for. Or possibly one of you fit the criteria, and the other was randomly selected.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Could have been...

On another trip... one of 3 legs... I was "randomly" selected for the special on ALL 3 legs.....

Somehow, an overweight, grey haired, male, with a mustache... must be who they are looking for.... :cuss:

JoeSparky

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Could have been...

On another trip... one of 3 legs... I was "randomly" selected for the special on ALL 3 legs.....

Somehow, an overweight, grey haired, male, with a mustache... must be who they are looking for.... :cuss:

JoeSparky
That, or check this out.