• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealing on a motorcycle without a CCW

FogRider

imported post

As soon as I got to work this morning I realized I had left at home my wallet with my DL, insurance card, registration, and my biggest concern, my CCW (I work in Denver, I so OC is not an option). The way I understand Colorado's laws, I can still legally conceal while on or in the immediate vicinity of my bike without a CCW. Is this correct?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

reefteach wrote:
You do not need a license to conceal while operating your mororvehicle in Colorado.
Of course, its that walk from the parking lot into the 7-Eleven for that enroute coffee that is the problem, or into work.

FogRider

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Of course, its that walk from the parking lot into the 7-Eleven for that enroute coffee that is the problem, or into work.
Yes, I was breaking the law there, but the chances of running into an officer in either place was slim and snowball. I was more worried about getting pulled over, but it sounds like I should have been legal gun-wise. I have a feeling that I would have spent some time trying to get my gun back if I'd been pulled over, what with the lack of ID, driver license, proof of insurance, registration and what-not.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Yes, I was breaking the law there, but the chances of running into an officer in either place was slim and snowball. I was more worried about getting pulled over, but it sounds like I should have been legal gun-wise. I have a feeling that I would have spent some time trying to get my gun back if I'd been pulled over, what with the lack of ID, driver license, proof of insurance, registration and what-not.
IIRC, when I lived in England you did not have to have your drivers license with you or insurance. If you were pulled over and didn't have it the officer could request you bring it to the local station later and show it. Or not. The paper isn't what authorizes you to drive. It's just evidence that you're permitted to. How's that for enlightened policy?

Anubis

imported post

If you have a permit but forget to carry it, it's not a majorcrime.

CRS 18-12-204(2)(a)Permit contents-validity-carrying requirements.

A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

FogRider

imported post

akpoff wrote:
IIRC, when I lived in England you did not have to have your drivers license with you or insurance. If you were pulled over and didn't have it the officer could request you bring it to the local station later and show it. Or not. The paper isn't what authorizes you to drive. It's just evidence that you're permitted to. How's that for enlightened policy?
That's actually how it usually works here as well, if you are missing the paperwork you get a fine, if you can bring everything in to court it gets dropped. There may not have been any major problems, I just had a bad feeling about the possible outcomes. I was pulled over in Denver, after all.