Thread: Open carry in WalMart?

Post imported post

What is the walmart policy for open carry? They have NO signs up front saying no firearms. Just wondering before i walk in what to expect. I live in WV but work in Winchester VA and that is where i shop most of the time

First time poster and reader. Found this site off ar15.com

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Welcome!

I dont believe that they have an actual policy but I could be wrong. I know some folks have had some bumps in the road at various Wal-Marts.

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Do a search on WalMart, you will find many threads. I have read in several posts that WalMart's policy is to follow the laws of the state that the store is located in. However, not all managers are familiar with the laws, not to mention they aren't even familiar with the WalMart Corporate Policy. If a manager tells you to leave, leave. Don't argue, don't cause a scene, just drop all your merchandise where you stand and leave. Then start calling the regional manager, and the corporate offices.

Post imported post

I have OC'd in my Wally World at RTE 1 & 234 more times than I can count. Not once have I been approached by an employee about it.

Post imported post

I have OC'd to at least 5 different Wally Marks in the Norfolk, Va Beach area and never really had any problems. Have even run into other OCrs.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Post imported post

OC'd in both Roanoke stores and the one in Salem...no problems at all.

Post imported post

I have OC'd to at least 2 different Wal-Marts in the Fredericksburg area and never had a problem. I've even had some conversations withcurious citizensthere.

Post imported post

Wal-marts follow the laws of the state where the store is located. I have open carried in many Richmond area Wal-marts without a problem. With that said, on rare occasion someone has had a minor probem at a Wal-Mart with a pesky manager. However, these rare problems are always resolved in our favor with a call to a district manager or the corporate offices.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I OC in Sterling VA Walmart no problems.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I understand that some Wal-Marts have changed their layout, but generally you are expected to follow the map below when OC-ing there:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.html

stay safe.

skidmark

*edited to fix link

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Maybe my computer is broken, but that link takes me to an ad for a LED badge?

Wally World in Chesterfield (Hull Street at Warbro Road) has not been a problem for me as far as OC
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764.

Post imported post

I OC in the Wal*Marts in Staunton and Waynesboro all the time with narry a glance or side look.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Skidmark bricked the link:P

Here's the walmart plan: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.html

Post imported post

OC'ed in the Fair Lakes Walmart the other day, no problems.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/14796.html

Post imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
    Maybe my computer is broken, but that link takes me to an ad for a LED badge?

Wally World in Chesterfield (Hull Street at Warbro Road) has not been a problem for me as far as OC
    You need the LED badge to find the markings of the secret OC route through the store.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Skidmark bricked the link:P

Here's the walmart plan: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.html
    Yes, I did.

Had a bunch of folks ask me about mine at the gun show last weekend & must have had it in my copy que instead of the Wal-Mart map I thought I had.

I went & fixed the link.

You really do not need the LED Badge to see the ammo specials, but it might help.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Welcome!

I dont believe that they have an actual policy but I could be wrong. I know some folks have had some bumps in the road at various Wal-Marts.

Jim
    They do have a policy that has reported here many times in the past. Wal-Mart honors the laws of the locality in which they are located - OC is legal in Va. End of story. There may be new chapters written in the future.

Some employees of Wally World confuse the policy that employees may not carry and try to apply that to customers as well.

I have OCd at all of the local ( greater Richmond area) Wal-Marts as well as a few in Pennsylvania. In so doing, I have had conversations with LEOs, managers and purchased ammunition while OCing and only once had a problem - an employee said she couldn't sell me ammo because I was carrying. I requested the store manager but it was settled by cell phone employee-to-mgr. and I got my resupply.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Policy or not, I have open carried in most of the WalMarts in the Hampton Roads area and have had no issues whatsoever.

Post imported post

I've OCd in the Wal Marts in Chesapeake and two in VA Beach. I had an idiot sporting goods dept guy who claimed he was a "gun guy" tell me to conceal because he felt threatened by it and that made it assault. :what: