• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleaning Up Your Act

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just looking for some suggestions on materials and methods for firearm maintenance...

How often to you clean?

Do you do a simple strip and oil, or a more through wipedown?

What do you use, do clean and to lube?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Depends on what firearm I'm cleaning.
If its one of my sidearms: full teardown, clean with CLP and/or Hoppes #9.
If its one of my MN's, Enfields, Mausers, etc: Full teardown, clean with Windex (for the corrosive ammo residue), clean with CLP and Hoppes.
If it's the Yugo SKS: Same as above
If it's the AK......uh....who cleans AKs?!?!?!?

Everything (AK aside) gets a CLP wipedown afterwards. I've purchased some Remwipes at Wallyworld (they were on clearance), so I'm gonna give that a try on the AK.

Sig229

imported post

I use Hoppes No 9 bore solvent, sometimes the copper solvent.
And after drying the bore and other parts, I use either Castrol Synthetic gun lube or if the local gun store doesn't sell that, I use Mobil-1 5w30 Fully Synthetic motor oil.

You folks should try synthetic gun lube. Even after a few magazines of shooting, the lube is still on the moving parts and offers amazing heat and friction reduction that regular oils just dont seem to match.

Dustin

imported post

I usualy shoot around 65 to 100 rounds thru my XDMeverytime I go to the range.

EVERY time afterwards, I Field strip, lube and Q-Tip every spec. of my weapon.

Of course this might just be a Marine thing :cool:

I'm pretty sure after the Torture Tests I've seen, cleaning like this is not needed.

On the other hand, I also carry this weapon. Ifever I have to defend mine or my families life, I DO NOT want a dirty weapon to be the reason, It,didn't perform correctly.

IuseMilitary CLP on all my weapons. I've got gallons of it...some how....

tarzan1888

imported post

Dustin wrote:

Of course this might just be a Marine thing :cool:.....

No its not........I do the same thing. I clean and lube after every use. I use several different solvents...depending on which gun and the need and several quality natural and synthetic lubes....again depending on which gun and need.

Tarzan

Evil Ernie

imported post

Dustin wrote:

Of course this might just be a Marine thing :cool:

I'm pretty sure after the Torture Tests I've seen, cleaning like this is not needed.

On the other hand, I also carry this weapon. Ifever I have to defend mine or my families life, I DO NOT want a dirty weapon to be the reason, It,didn't perform correctly.

IuseMilitary CLP on all my weapons. I've got gallons of it...some how....
CLP is a grunts best friend! Doesn't taste too bad on an MRE cracker either!! I was able to "aquire" a gallon waaay back in the day, but have long since run out. Now I have to buy the lil bottles at wally world. Doesn't really seem like the same stuff, or maybe I've had too many CLP crackers...heh...

Silverfox44

imported post

I ordered a new Gun Video the other day and low and behold this fellow who is a certified gunsmith cleans all his guns with SIMPLE GREEN.

I tried it and it does remove all the particulates etc but removes any and all lub that might be on the barrel.

Evil Ernie

imported post

We used to run Simple Green full strength thru the M60's and M16's after a rousing three day romp with blanks and MILES gear. It's the easiest way to get the carbon out of that stupid gas impingment system on Stoners Abortion...Yes, I'm bashing Stoners stuff....get over it.

Dustin, CLP on a cracker during cold weather operations...spreads like butter...LMAO!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

An SA factory rep recommended Simple Green for the XDs. I've never tried it but maybe I will start. I've been primarily using Blue Wonder cleaning products and Gun Butter for most lubing for the last year. Both have been satisfactory to me.

I generally field strip and clean my firearms after going to the range each time. The exception is if I am planning on shooting again in the next week and am not planning to carry the weapon or use it for HD in the meantime. If I am in a time crunch, sometimes I will field strip, do a quick "spray and wipe" and relube.

Michigander

imported post

Charcoal starter to degrease, synthetic motor oil for parts that rotate or need coating, and bearing grease for the stuff that slides. Works great. I saw the light on this about a year ago and stopped investing in overpriced gun products.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Charcoal starter to degrease, synthetic motor oil for parts that rotate or need coating, and bearing grease for the stuff that slides. Works great. I saw the light on this about a year ago and stopped investing in overpriced gun products.

I understand your point on the matter.

However, I am a big fan of using things specifically designed for a purpose. This is especially true on my "large" investments. I use synthetic oils and high quality filters in my cars, well-manufactured components in my computers, etc.

I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money, but I will spend a few extra dollars on quality.

I am interested in this "Gun Butter" product. Seems to have a good deal of endorsement behind it, and I haven't found any negative reviews of the product.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Michigander wrote:

However, I am a big fan of using things specifically designed for a purpose. This is especially true on my "large" investments. I use synthetic oils and high quality filters in my cars, well-manufactured components in my computers, etc.

I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money, but I will spend a few extra dollars on quality.

I am interested in this "Gun Butter" product. Seems to have a good deal of endorsement behind it, and I haven't found any negative reviews of the product.
Gun Butter is good stuffs IMO. It is an oil, but stays in place like a grease. I also like that it is tinted red making it easy to see and goes on in little, very specifically placed "dots" of the product. It makes it very easy to see where it is smearing and therefore needed to be used on the pistol. The applicator is like a dull needle tip so you can put just a drop or two exactly where you need it. The tinting and drops allowed me to see exactly where it was actually doing any good. Found out that I was oiling in places where I thought there was contact but there is not. I now have learned over time exactly where to oil my pistols and where it is unnecessary. A little bit goes a long way and even a small container lasts a long time.

Michigander

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:

My cars and guns get the same thing. Mobile 1. :cool:

thnycav

imported post

Black powder weapons can get real dirty and they are hard to clean. I use a combination of the following.

Murphy's oil soap, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. They all come in 16 ox bottles so you mix equal parts of all. Just let it soak for about 15 minutes and rinse with hot water, dry and use your favorite oil. It will take the worst carbon off it. You do need to make sure you do mix all three. I have a friend that tried it and forgot the Oil soap and it too the blueing off it.

CrossFire

imported post

Question, I just recently bought a Sig Mosquito. According to the manual Sig recommends tha you not use a metal wire brush when cleaning. Since the cleaning kit I bought came with wire brushes how valid do you think this recommendation is?

Sig229

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Question, I just recently bought a Sig Mosquito. According to the manual Sig recommends tha you not use a metal wire brush when cleaning. Since the cleaning kit I bought came with wire brushes how valid do you think this recommendation is?

I own mostly Sig's and I follow the manual to a T.
If one of the best gun manufactures says not to use wire cleaning brushes, there must be a reason.
Even if I dont know what it is.