• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Your Ammo Just Plain Boring?

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tired of shoot those silly ole' bullets, that just hit things?

Want to shoot something with FLAIR?

It is time for you to head on over to http://www.hi-vel.com/

My favorites?

The 12 Gauge Shotty Fireball!

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__21/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

Or, if that isn't your cup of tea, try some incenedary rounds! For your handgun, no less!

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__21/Incendiary_Ammunition/incendiary_ammunition.html

Happy Shooting! :celebrate

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Way to blatantly advertise, but do you have any reason for supporting the company? Have you had good experiences with them? Are their prices the best you've seen? Their incendiary rounds in .40 are a few bucks cheaper than ammotogo.com, but I don't know how it would come out after shipping.

This brings up a question I've pondered every once in a while. A single shot from a handgun of any caliber is not guaranteed to stop a criminal in his or her tracks. Even a few shots doesn't always do the trick, especially if the shots aren't well placed and/or the BG is lesseffected bypain for whatever reason. With that being said, I can think of a few reasons why incendiary rounds would be a lot more effective :D.

I'm SURE there are problems with using incendiary rounds for self defense, so what are they? Legal issues? Moral issues? (i.e. cruel and unusual lol) Are incendiary rounds even effective against an animal target?

Weak 9mm

imported post

I know a place to get incendiary rounds cheaper. :p

And they probably would work like an FMJ, or possibly fragment upon impact with soft tissue. They only ignite when they hit hard surfaces from my understanding. But if they did ignite inside the target that would be interesting. You'd have singed meat, that's for sure. Note that the 12 gauge round would work on anything, it wouldn't be pretty either (It would also set the entire path it "blazed" on fire). I believe those sparks are like 3000+ degrees.

I still want some rubber batons for my 12 gauge, just to shoot that stupid groundhog with, but I can never bring myself to waste the money.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Way to blatantly advertise, but do you have any reason for supporting the company? Have you had good experiences with them? Are their prices the best you've seen? Their incendiary rounds in .40 are a few bucks cheaper than ammotogo.com, but I don't know how it would come out after shipping.

This brings up a question I've pondered every once in a while. A single shot from a handgun of any caliber is not guaranteed to stop a criminal in his or her tracks. Even a few shots doesn't always do the trick, especially if the shots aren't well placed and/or the BG is lesseffected bypain for whatever reason. With that being said, I can think of a few reasons why incendiary rounds would be a lot more effective :D.

I'm SURE there are problems with using incendiary rounds for self defense, so what are they? Legal issues? Moral issues? (i.e. cruel and unusual lol) Are incendiary rounds even effective against an animal target?
Oh, I wasn't really advertising for them...

I had just been wondering about what kind of carry ammo was best, and I like to think outside the box.

When I was in the Air Force, one of my best friends was an A-10 Crew Chief. Now, the A-10 is the tank killer. It fires High Explosive rounds out of the front Gatling gun, known as the AN/GAU-8a, a 7 barrel, 30mm bucket of joy.

I got to thinking if anyone had sized these rounds down, say, to 9mm. And voila, that is how I found the novelty rounds at Hi-Vel.

I have never purchased, nor fired, a round from their inventory. I just thought it was humorous, and wanted to post a slightly-sarcastic thread about it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think some of those might be fun to shoot. Tracers from a .45 so you can watch the trajectory on longer shots might be pretty cool and may help improve longer range shooting. If they weren't so expensive would be even more fun to consider.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Next fourth of July I WILL be buying some incendiary rounds for my handgun so I can start my bonfire with them :D.