• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nye County Sheriff Does It Again

varminter22

imported post

Another "non OC" related issue.

Once again, Nye County Sheriff Tony DeMeo refuses to follow Nevada law.

Via telephone on July 28, 2008, Sheriff DeMeo told me he would NOT accept our sheriff's certification of our CCW instructor even if our sheriff himself sends the certification. DeMeo said he wanted to see our instructor's full credentials and course curriculum (in addition to our sheriff's certification). As time permits, our CCW instructor does hope to provide all of the above to Sheriff DeMeo, but we don't know how long that will take - and we have NO guarantee Sheriff DeMeo will accept it.

The research:

NRS 202.3657 states a sheriff shall issue a permit to any person who is qualified and who submits an application and who demonstrates competence by presenting a certificate to the sheriff which shows that he successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State.

The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association (NSCA) document entitled “Nevada Concealed Weapon Training Standards” (current; revised December 5, 2002 (available here
http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2), page two, paragraph V, which quotes NRS 202.3657 and reiterates “a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State.”

Further, I reviewed the audio CD recorded at the July 11, 2007 Nevada CCW Holders Forum in Carson City, hosted by the Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n. Mr. Rick Morello (a full time firearms instructor) asked if his Nevada CCW Instructor credentials (as authorized by the Washoe County Sheriff) were valid/accepted by all Nevada sheriffs. Douglas County Undersheriff and NSCA Forum Panel Member Paul Howell unequivocally stated, “Yes.” (The CD is available for $9.50 from the state.)

It certainly appears to me that Sheriff DeMeo MUST accept other sheriffs' CCW instructor certifications.

I believe this to be yet another flagrant violation of Nevada law by Sheriff DeMeo. Apparently, DeMeo believes he can legislate from his position of authority.

I encourage Nevadans - especially Nye County citizens - to take the issue to Sheriff DeMeo - and any other authorities as necessary to correct Sheriff DeMeo's unlawful activities. Perhaps the Nye County District Attorney, Commissioners, Assemblyman, Senator, Attorney General, Governor, NRA, NSCA should be involved.

I don't have a valid email address, but per
http://nyecountysheriff.net/:

North Area Command

Area Commander: Asst. Sheriff Johanna Cody
Sheriff's Office Headquarters
Located at: 101 Radar Rd.
Tonopah, NV 89049
Administration : 775-482-8110
Sheriff Dispatch
Non-Emergencies: 775-482-8101
Detention: 775-482-7358
Tonopah County Seat