• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ARIZONA: CAUTION RE: BG BODYARMOR

Alec411

imported post

REBEL:

Spent three tours in Nam. If it came right down to it I'd be good for one more firefight. Mine would not be the only funeral! May none of us have to face it!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
REBEL:

Spent three tours in Nam. If it came right down to it I'd be good for one more firefight. Mine would not be the only funeral! May none of us have to face it!
I did two... ('65 and '71-72)... but I ain't in my 20's anymore. Push come to shove... I'd fight, but I'm not the only person here to look out for.

protector84

imported post

In any extreme situation like this where you are not capable of fighting back, evacuation may be a better option. Just as one should have a fire plan in mind on how to get out, the same applies for this situation. I certainly believe in defending one's property but if your chances of surviving are far greater by running out the back door than by engaging in full combat with the criminals, you might want to flee and hope the cops can deal with it and actually get there in a timely manner. Not to mention that a shootout at such a scale inside your own home will probably result in property damage to alevel that is no longer worth protecting.

Michigander

imported post

Ceramic plates? Will those stop a steel cored high velocity rifle round? I know from experiments I participated in at a shooting range that steel will, and I know kevlar doesn't stop a damn thing, but I've never got the chance to play around with ceramic plates. Anybody know what ceramic plates will stop?

Edit: Wikipedia says they will, but does anybody know from experience?

Alec411

imported post

MICHIGANDER

I was shot while weaaring ceramic plates. Minor bruise from a 9mm. I know nothing else about their effectiveness compared to any other trauma plates. That's what was available, and that's what I grabbed!

USP.40

imported post

The vests that the US Army are currently fielding have ceramic plates wraped in kevlar to prevent ceramic shards from flying everywhere when the vest is hit. Acording to Army Propaganda the vest will stop three 7.62 Ball rifle rounds before becoming ineffective. At least that's what they told me when I was wearing one.:?

Alec411

imported post

[align=left].40USP[/align]

[align=left]I loved the last sentence in your posting abouts vests! Loved it![/align]

[align=left]I wonder how many times I believed thing like that. I can remember a training situation where a cilvilian-dressed trainer told me never to rely on a .308 beyond "X" yards. That the rounds would always fall short, thus warning your target, of attack.[/align]

[align=left]I knew I could out-shoot that effectively. Myself & several of my friends were bring down white-tails at greater ranges, with nearly identical rifles, and I thought he was doing a dis-service to us trainees, who in the field, may not fire because of his words.[/align]

[align=left]During break, I went to him "alone & quietly" and told him that I knew several people that could easily add 50 yards on that, with little add'l effort. He ordered me to "shut-up, and re-jion my class. When class resumed, he announced that some "dirt weed @#$% bag rookie MF" claimed that he could out-shoot what I told you were maxes!" Tomorrow we'll ask him to prove it. (you know I never learned to just keep my mouth shut, never). That nite I learned he was a Gunney, just back![/align]

[align=left]The next morning, while taking crap all morn; the Gunney and I moved the target back by 50 yards & had it re-measured to my satisfaction. Meanwhile, "Guns" is runnin his mouth. The thought entered that if I was smart, I'd miss! BUT no, too much ego at stake now. What the hell did I get myself into....again? Tryin to shorten the thing, I hit it. When I rose to my knees, he says, "oh no, empty it!" So I raised my knee and assumed a kneeling position, and did what I was told.[/align]

[align=left]The dude calls me over, and whispers, "you ever embarass me like that again, I'll Kill you. Since that was grossly out of line, I figured I had a right to respond, in-kind. "Guns, (loud) I understand that you got orders back to the Nam. You best hope, I don't see you, cause we already know I can out-shoot you. Just to conclude, found not guilty of a "threat" at a Capt.'s Mast (couldn't find a witness among my whole company)[/align]

[align=left]Never saw the sarge again!...[/align]