• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headin to NRA Range Thursday...8-14-08

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bullseye Brookie and I are thinking about heading to the NRA range on Thursday night, 8PM-10PM,so she can shoot her new Pink Walther P22. Any of you gonna be out there?

Plus.. besides at home.. going to/from the range is one of the places she can Open Carry (unloaded) as a 10 year old.

brookie.jpg

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
This section shall not apply to:
1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;
3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and
4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
(1993, cc. 467, 494; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995.)

cREbralFIX

imported post

I would suspect that this is something you shouldn't fool around with. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

Perhaps her OC'ing at home only would be best...think of it as practice for future carry.

ed

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
I would suspect that this is something you shouldn't fool around with. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

Perhaps her OC' ing at home only would be best...think of it as practice for future carry.
Thanks for the comment. Some don't even think a 10½ year old should even be shooting. Others that have witnessed Bullseye Brookie in action have both publicly andprivately PM'ed me about how safe and knowledgeable she is.

She knows more about gun safety and Virginia gun laws than many adults and helps me teach others. I am not starting a movement that says all 10 year olds should OC.. I am saying that she is mature enough and it is within our rights and the law. Your mileage may vary.

Ed

nova

imported post

Hmmm...I've never shot at the NRA range but I know that since I'm 19 I'd need someone 21+ to get me in. I'd also have to take their safety test beforehand as well.

W.E.G.

imported post

A smart, motivated, supervised, and trained 10-year-old should be very capable of appropriate open-carry at the NRA range.

There are too many kids who would rather stare at their cell-phone or GameBoy than spend time in a noisy firing range with their dad. Ed, consider yourself a very fortunate man.

ed

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
A smart, motivated, supervised, and trained 10-year-old should be very capable of appropriate open-carry at the NRA range.

There are too many kids who would rather stare at their cell-phone or GameBoy than spend time in a noisy firing range with their dad. Ed, consider yourself a very fortunate man.

Thanks.. I do.

Ed

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/CIEavT1sEuE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1[/flash]

p.s. no cameras allowed at NRA range.. the above was at Blue Ridge.

nova

imported post

Sam_G21 wrote:
Does everyone have to take the safety test? Never shot there before. Im usually at blueridge

As far as I know, yes. You only have to take it your first time there though.

NRA members also geta few bucks off the normal range fee as well :)

ed

imported post

Sam_G21 wrote:
Does everyone have to take the safety test? Never shot there before. Im usually at blueridge

Yes. It's open book.. What is the safe direction to point a firearm? When can you put your finger on the trigger? Only Police your own brass, Who can call a cease fire? Stuff like that.

OpenCarrie

imported post

I think it is great that Brooke is learning how to be a responsible gun owner. And, if it is okay for her to open carry to the range, then that just adds to her overall experience.

Love the pink gun Brooke! ;)

DTag

imported post

I would submit that the average 10 year old is probably not mature enough or responsible enough to be responsible with OC and gun possession. That being said, I know Brooke personally. She is not an average kid! She's smart, knowledgeable, safe, responsible, and doesn't take gun possession lightly. Ed's comment about her knowing more about gun laws is true... She knows more than me. I'm not criticizing myself; I’m complimenting her. If more parents raised their children with education and exposure as opposed to trying to shelter their kids, we could enjoy hearing fewer stories of accidental deaths caused by kids who "found" a gun. Incidentally, I feel the same way about alcohol, driving, promiscuity, and other issues kids face. All of these could kill a kid, so the parents better be teaching them to be able to deal with each.
Stepping…
down…
off the soapbox…
Have fun at the range, all. I won’t be able to make this one.