• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headin to NRA Range Thursday...8-14-08

matt605

imported post

"equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition"

Does this say some AKs are okay for kids to open carry?

Most kids can handle weapons responsibly if they have experience at killing small animals and possess the knowledge of what their weapons can do to living things.

:dude:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have to say you all are within the letter of the law. I would suggest 2 cautions. 1st that as the supervising adult you must be sure to accompany her at all times. 2nd it is imperative that the firearm never be concealed, this includes getting in a car, using a restroom, etc. Personally I think unloaded in a case is a legally safer way to transport in this case.

nova

imported post

something came up today...doesn't look like I'll be able to make it now. :(

Edit: the 'something' that came up today is a rash I have on my face today. It's from a nickel allergy...I was doing a 'modification' to my truck's exhaust, and the stainless steel 'dust' that got on my face while under the truck apparently gave me a rash from the nickel inthe alloy. I was more concernedwith eye protection but didn't even consider the rest of my face at thetime.Should be gone soon enough (it's already fading)so I can come to Saturday's NRA museum trip and OC dinner :)

On second thought I may hang around in my truck just to say hi since I don't live that far anyhow :)

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I'll be there with a friend. I'll be sporting my green Glock shirt and jean shorts. I suck at shooting, but hey gotta start somewhere:lol:

Come introduce yerself. I will be in Blue Jeans with a white shirt (and with Bullseye Brookie in a pink shirt and jeans). Maybe I can give you some tips that will either make you suck less or at least suck the same.

Ed

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I'll be there with a friend. I'll be sporting my green Glock shirt and jean shorts. I suck at shooting, but hey gotta start somewhere:lol:
Nice truck! :cool:

hsmith

imported post

Ed, nice to meet you! Sorry we couldn't talk but ranges aren't quiet.

I must complement your daughter on her shooting, a much better shot than I! (I blame my eyes :lol:)

While you and your daughter were in shooting I was standing by the desk and heard a guy who came in OC'ing mention you two the the rangers. They all commented how great it was your daughter WAS OC'ing! Great father daughter bonding, what better way to teach your daughter responsibility too.

Didn't catch CRF250rider1000 though.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I finally had to leave. I have to go to Norfolk at 5am and it was getting kind of late to get in some good range time. Nice meeting you Ed. Nova I'm not sure which one you were? I'm guessing you saw my F150 though! lol Were you there with friends? Maybe that was you I saw. Did I park next to you I'm guessing? :lol:

Also Ed, I was very impressed at how well your daughter did! She really knows what she is doing:)

hsmith

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I finally had to leave. I have to go to Norfolk at 5am and it was getting kind of late to get in some good range time. Nice meeting you Ed. Nova I'm not sure which one you were? I'm guessing you saw my F150 though! lol Were you there with friends? Maybe that was you I saw. Did I park next to you I'm guessing? :lol:
I was in i think lane 3 in a blue shirt with my ar, ps90, and xd45, that wasn't you next to me with the AR that kept jamming was it?

i have a lexus so if you pakred me to me maybe :lol:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hsmith wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I was in i think lane 3 in a blue shirt with my ar, ps90, and xd45, that wasn't you next to me with the AR that kept jamming was it?

No I had to leave. I didn't even get to shoot because the wait time was ridiculous:banghead: Normally I just get straight in though, but tonight was terrible:cry: I had the big ass red F150 that is all custom:celebrate Oh yea nova, what did you do to your exhaust. I am running a dynomax bullet dumped before the rear axle. Not too loud, yet a nice agressive tone. I have 4 cats though so that quiets it down. :/

Also I wish I had an AR too:lol:

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
hsmith wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

No I had to leave. I didn't even get to shoot because the wait time was ridiculous:banghead: Normally I just get straight in though, but tonight was terrible:cry: I had the big ass red F150 that is all custom:celebrate Oh yea nova, what did you do to your exhaust. I am running a dynomax bullet dumped before the rear axle. Not too loud, yet a nice agressive tone. I have 4 cats though so that quiets it down. :/

Also I wish I had an AR too:lol:

Well, two years ago I got a custom system installed, all stainless pipes with a Magnaflow (a 14" long one) muffler with 3" polished stainless tips exiting out the rear sides. I just was never really happy with the look...it didn't look as good as the shop's demo truck (a chevy) but I figured I'd learn to like it...never happened. Sound is great...loud enough to notice but not enough to annoy anyone :)

Anyhow, I just cut the tips off, so now the exhaust dumps on both sides under the bed by the spare tire underneath. If you saw a dark green Dakota there in the parking lot (down from the two NRA trailers) that was me. I wish I was able to shoot tonight but couldn't unfortunately. Maybe another time! :)

ed

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Ed, nice to meet you! Sorry we couldn't talk but ranges aren't quiet.

I must complement your daughter on her shooting, a much better shot than I! (I blame my eyes :lol:)

While you and your daughter were in shooting I was standing by the desk and heard a guy who came in OC'ing mention you two the the rangers. They all commented how great it was your daughter WAS OC'ing! Great father daughter bonding, what better way to teach your daughter responsibility too.
Hey thanks.. we had a great time together too. She also shot KLE's revolver at 75 feet. I thought she missed a few shots but when we brought the target closer.. THREE ROUNDS WENT THROUGH THE SAME HOLE! Man.. it was amazing.. a few more people started calling her "Bullseye Brookie" tonight! Thanks for the use of the revolver KLE!

kle

imported post

ed wrote:
Hey thanks.. we had a great time together too. She also shot KLE's revolver at 75 feet. I thought she missed a few shots but when we brought the target closer.. THREE ROUNDS WENT THROUGH THE SAME HOLE! Man.. it was amazing.. a few more people started calling her "Bullseye Brookie" tonight! Thanks for the use of the revolver KLE!
And it wasn't the normal "one ragged hole" thing, either--it was actually one, .22-sized hole. I was watching it (helped along by the Shoot'N'C target): she put one right next to the center mark, and then she fired again...and nothing happened except for the yellow patch made by the previous shot got a little bigger; the hole itself didn't get any larger! Incredible, and with a gun she's never shot before, that doesn't fit her at all!

Thanks for letting me try out your (her) P22--it was the first time I'd ever shot one. Nifty little gun, but it's a little too light for me, or at least the Bullseye shooting I do--all of my .22s are wood'n'steel, and that S&W 17-8 revolver I/you/she shot tonight is actually one of my lightest ones (because the cylinder is aluminum). All that extra weight helps to add inertia to the guns so that they aren't distrubed by little stuff like breathing and heartbeat...

I hope to see you and "Bullseye Brookie" out again sometime, and thanks for your Open Carry info-cards!

Infidel

imported post

Ed great bonding time with your daughter... THAT'S AWESOME!!

At what age did you start bringing Brooke to the range? And at what age did she first shoot?

I'm looking at when I should start with my son who's 6. I took him to an indoor range one day with a friend, and even with double ear protection on him he said it was too load and frightening for him. I just took him along to spend time with; couldn't let him fire at all as I don't own a .22, just a 9mm. Me and my friend had to alternate shooting so one of us could keep an eye on my son. And hell, I'd love to get together sometime so SHE can instruct him.

ed

imported post

Infidel wrote:
Ed great bonding time with your daughter... THAT'S AWESOME!!

At what age did you start bringing Brooke to the range? And at what age did she first shoot?

I'm looking at when I should start with my son who's 6. I took him to an indoor range one day with a friend, and even with double ear protection on him he said it was too load and frightening for him. I just took him along to spend time with; couldn't let him fire at all as I don't own a .22, just a 9mm. Me and my friend had to alternate shooting so one of us could keep an eye on my son. And hell, I'd love to get together sometime so SHE can instruct him.

Thanks. She has been around my guns her whole life. In the last year, since I started OCing, she has heard me talk about laws of Virginia and instruct others. When I have taught others a firearms class and ask the students a question.. Brooke is about ready to BURST with the answer. She likes to explain site picture, breathing and what the laws are. She still has alot more to learn (as do I) and I learn all the time.

Her shooting history was about when she was 6 shooting a BB gun (rifle). She already knew proper gun safety then too. I wanted to move her to a .22. I did some research and we went and shot a Sig Mosquito and a Ruger Mark II. She then shot a Walther P22 and like it the best. Once she found out it came from the factory in pink it was all over!

p22.jpg

I thought I should buy it to make her better but also for others that I teach that need something more accurate that my 380's and not as powerful as my 10mm or 45. This ended up being the perfect fit.

After having it.. Brooke has offered MANY grown met at the Range to shoot her Pink Pistol and they all shoot it with a smile on their face and maintain their masculinity.

The only thing she does not like about the NRA range is their "no camera" policy.. So sometimes we go to other ranges so that she can watch video of her draw, stance and grip, etc.

We sure had a great time again last night. The 2 hours fly by and she likes talking to everyone. More and more people know of her and call her Bullseye Brookie. Ha...

It still cracks me up. She does shoot the .22 better than me, but I blame that on my eyes being older.

See you at the range!

Ed

ed

imported post

hsmith wrote:
she expressed interest in the idpa?

Not yet. KLE mentioned the Metro Pistol League. Their website is http://members.cox.net/metropistol/ .I think she is just enjoying blasting right now.. maybe next years she can tighten her skills.. she also enjoys and races infoor carts at http://www.allsportsgp.com/.

She is a busy girl (which means busy parents too!)

learn2shoot

imported post

Here is a quick picture of BullsEye Brookie and I at the range. I am not sure how this ended up on my phone as there are no photos allowed at the range.... Also, I got to shoot the pink pistol and it is a great little gun.

BEB.jpg