Thread: Open Carry with a CPP

Post imported post

Hi,

My dad received his CPP recently, and was told by the instructor that, in Michigan, when you have a CPP you forfeit your right to Open Carry. Always the skeptic, I've been researching it, and have not been able to find anything that confirms it. I've found posts in this forum that seem to contradict the information he was given, but I want to be sure before telling my dad he was given wrong info. Your time and consideration is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Patrick

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

First, in Michigan it is NOT a CPP

It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)

Second, the CPL instructor doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

You lose nothing by getting your CPL.

Actually you gain some freedom because now you can OC just about all the time.

Like when you leave your house OC'ing then get in your car, go up to the gasstation for a pack of gum then back in your car etc... all OC'ing (with a CPL)

Please take your time and fully read and understand this post http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html
    It should answer most of your questions.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)...
    LOL, I don't know why I typed "CPP"...TWICE?!

I'll be sure to tell my dad, AND the instructor. This is a perfect example of why it pays to be a skeptic .

Post imported post

Don't tell them anything.

Ask that they show you the law that states you give up your right to OC if you have a CPL.

When they can't show you .... ask them again! and again....until it sinks in that they were wrong.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Don't tell them anything.

Ask that they show you the law that states you give up your right to OC if you have a CPL.

When they can't show you .... ask them again! and again....until it sinks in that they were wrong.
    Good advise, will follow.

Post imported post

LibertyorDeath wrote:
    dougwg wrote:

I'll be sure to tell my dad, AND the instructor. This is a perfect example of why it pays to be a skeptic .
    3 times!

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    LibertyorDeath wrote:
    dougwg wrote:

3 times!
    Thanks for the clarification...

I just spoke with someone who had a completely different instructor. The instructor told the class, Michigan is NOTan Open Carry state . How in the world do these people get to be instructors (rhetorical question)?!

Post imported post

LibertyorDeath wrote:
    I just spoke with someone who had a completely different instructor. The instructor told the class, Michigan is NOTan Open Carry state . How in the world do these people get to be instructors (rhetorical question)?!
    Very simple, they pays their money and gets their cert. Most who are interested in carrying concealed, believe that Open carry "gives away tactical advantages."
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
    LibertyorDeath wrote:
    Very simple, they pays their money and gets their cert. Most who are interested in carrying concealed, believe that Open carry "gives away tactical advantages."
    Then they should saythat, don't lie and say it's illegal. Just ignorance most of the time.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I agree. But, what can we do? I wish some of the people who post here and tell us about their instructor, would at least tell us the group/organization/training center. Then maybe we could contact them, and send them the straight dope so they stop giving out false information.

Big Gay Al

Post imported post

My CPL class instructor was an Oakland County police officer and an attorney (can't remember his name), and I was also told that open carry was illegal. The reasons why, you ask?

1. If the gun is in a holster it is partially concealed, so you need a permit.

2. If you have a permit, you MUST keep your gun concealed, or else it is brandishing.

Seriously, where do these guys get their info?

-Rob

Post imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
    My CPL class instructor was an Oakland County police officer and an attorney (can't remember his name), and I was also told that open carry was illegal. The reasons why, you ask?

2. If you have a permit, you MUST keep your gun concealed, or else it is brandishing.

-Rob
    Apparently NOT from the state AG's office. You might want to send him the link to AG's opinion 7101
    Big Gay Al

Post imported post

Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Pretty sad.

Post imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:

With this logic, me with my CPL and my gun in a holster on my hip with nothing covering it, he would consider me to be conceal carrying.

It's in a holster, so it's concealed, right?

-Rob
    Logic, some people just don't get it.

Post imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
    SNIP: 1. If the gun is in a holster it is partially concealed
    That is the EXACT same excuse used on me by a Macomb County Sherrif not all that long ago, while threatening me with arrest. There HAS to be "somebody" some where that can be petitioned, to train these idiots.