• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with a CPP

LibertyorDeath

imported post

Hi,

My dad received his CPP recently, and was told by the instructor that, in Michigan, when you have a CPP you forfeit your right to Open Carry. Always the skeptic, I've been researching it, and have not been able to find anything that confirms it. I've found posts in this forum that seem to contradict the information he was given, but I want to be sure before telling my dad he was given wrong info. Your time and consideration is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Patrick

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

First, in Michigan it is NOT a CPP

It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)

Second, the CPL instructor doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

You lose nothing by getting your CPL.

Actually you gain some freedom because now you can OC just about all the time.

Like when you leave your house OC'ing then get in your car, go up to the gasstation for a pack of gum then back in your car etc... all OC'ing (with a CPL)

Please take your time and fully read and understand this post http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html
It should answer most of your questions.

LibertyorDeath

imported post

dougwg wrote:

It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)...
LOL, I don't know why I typed "CPP"...TWICE?!

I'll be sure to tell my dad, AND the instructor. This is a perfect example of why it pays to be a skeptic :banghead:.

dougwg

imported post

Don't tell them anything.

Ask that they show you the law that states you give up your right to OC if you have a CPL.

When they can't show you .... ask them again! and again....until it sinks in that they were wrong.

LibertyorDeath

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Don't tell them anything.

Ask that they show you the law that states you give up your right to OC if you have a CPL.

When they can't show you .... ask them again! and again....until it sinks in that they were wrong.
Good advise, will follow.

LibertyorDeath

imported post

dougwg wrote:
LibertyorDeath wrote:
dougwg wrote:

It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)...
LOL, I don't know why I typed "CPP"...TWICE?!
3 times! ;)

Thanks for the clarification... :cuss::D

I just spoke with someone who had a completely different instructor. The instructor told the class, Michigan is NOTan Open Carry state :banghead:. How in the world do these people get to be instructors (rhetorical question)?!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

LibertyorDeath wrote:
I just spoke with someone who had a completely different instructor. The instructor told the class, Michigan is NOTan Open Carry state :banghead:. How in the world do these people get to be instructors (rhetorical question)?!
Very simple, they pays their money and gets their cert. Most who are interested in carrying concealed, believe that Open carry "gives away tactical advantages."

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
LibertyorDeath wrote:
Very simple, they pays their money and gets their cert. Most who are interested in carrying concealed, believe that Open carry "gives away tactical advantages."
Then they should saythat, don't lie and say it's illegal. Just ignorance most of the time.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I agree. But, what can we do? I wish some of the people who post here and tell us about their instructor, would at least tell us the group/organization/training center. Then maybe we could contact them, and send them the straight dope so they stop giving out false information.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

My CPL class instructor was an Oakland County police officer and an attorney (can't remember his name), and I was also told that open carry was illegal. The reasons why, you ask?

1. If the gun is in a holster it is partially concealed, so you need a permit.

2. If you have a permit, you MUST keep your gun concealed, or else it is brandishing.

Seriously, where do these guys get their info?

-Rob

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
My CPL class instructor was an Oakland County police officer and an attorney (can't remember his name), and I was also told that open carry was illegal. The reasons why, you ask?

2. If you have a permit, you MUST keep your gun concealed, or else it is brandishing.

-Rob
Apparently NOT from the state AG's office. You might want to send him the link to AG's opinion 7101

dougwg

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:

With this logic, me with my CPL and my gun in a holster on my hip with nothing covering it, he would consider me to be conceal carrying.

It's in a holster, so it's concealed, right?

-Rob
Logic, some people just don't get it.

warlockmatized

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
SNIP: 1. If the gun is in a holster it is partially concealed
That is the EXACT same excuse used on me by a Macomb County Sherrif not all that long ago, while threatening me with arrest. There HAS to be "somebody" some where that can be petitioned, to train these idiots.