Thread: Buying a gun out of state.

Post imported post

I am going to Texas for a week tomorrow and will be attending a gun show while there. What are the restrictions for buying a pistol down there and brining it back? Can I just bring it back with me in my checked luggage or do I have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in WA?

Post imported post

You have to have it shipped to a ffl dealer inWA from a ffl dealer in TX and then transferred into your name.

Post imported post

Good thing that you can only buy long guns in states that border your own and you can only guy pistols in your own state... itjust resonates with freedom doesn't it.

Post imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
    Good thing that you can only buy long guns in states that border your own and you can only guy pistols in your own state... itjust resonates with freedom doesn't it.
    You can buy it from out of state... Just means you have to have it shipped to a dealer, than have them record all the information and check on you, than you get to pay them a fee for the privelage...

Edit: It can work out though. Have personally saved over $200.00 on a new firearm by useing thismethod, so sometimes it works out.

Post imported post

Izzle wrote:
    I am going to Texas for a week tomorrow and will be attending a gun show while there. What are the restrictions for buying a pistol down there and brining it back? Can I just bring it back with me in my checked luggage or do I have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in WA?
    It's probably more trouble than its worth. Unless, that is, the pistol you are buying is worth more than the accompanying trouble.

You will have to "purchase" it from the seller, then have the seller (or the seller's FFL) ship the gun to a WA FFL, where you get to pay their transfer fee, and the shipping costs involved as well, before you get "your" pistol. If you found a mint, Stainless Colt Python that was NIB, it might be worth all the extra hassle, but the process ends up costing nearly an extra $100-$150 depending on shipping and transfer fees, so on a used SA XD, it might just be best to shop locally.

Post imported post

ya kinda stupid how i can buy a gun in my state and travel to other states with it but you cant buy one in a different state and bring it home.

Post imported post

Wait, you can't purchase it, then ship it to yourself? Since it's never left your possession?

Anyone have the RCW on that (or is it a USC)? I'm curious to know how that works.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:
    Wait, you can't purchase it, then ship it to yourself? Since it's never left your possession?

Anyone have the RCW on that (or is it a USC)? I'm curious to know how that works.
    It's not legal to buy a handgun out of your state of residence and take possession of it in that state. You can buy it and pay for itbut the seller (if he is an FFL)or his FFL must ship it to an FFL here, who will do the paperwork and transfer it to you. Sort of violates the hell out of the 2A doesn't it? If you already own the gun, say your brother took it home with him when he last visited. Then you fly down and take position of it, then sure you can ship it to yourself. Or better yet just take it with you. My wife flys and takes her pistolin her luggage all the time.

Post imported post

I think this got started before instant check was possible. Only the local officials could know if you were legal to own a gun. The local police had to approve/disapprove the purchase. It should have gone away when NICS started.

Post imported post

bcp wrote:
    I think this got started before instant check was possible. Only the local officials could know if you were legal to own a gun. The local police had to approve/disapprove the purchase. It should have gone away when NICS started.
    Yeah right, they never kill any hinderence to your rights, ever.

Post imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
    Do you have a cite for the long gun part? I've heard long guns are OK and I've heard they aren't. Trying to figure out which it is. Thanks.

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    It's probably more trouble than its worth. Unless, that is, the pistol you are buying is worth more than the accompanying trouble.

You will have to "purchase" it from the seller, then have the seller (or the seller's FFL) ship the gun to a WA FFL, where you get to pay their transfer fee, and the shipping costs involved as well, before you get "your" pistol. If you found a mint, Stainless Colt Python that was NIB, it might be worth all the extra hassle, but the process ends up costing nearly an extra $100-$150 depending on shipping and transfer fees, so on a used SA XD, it might just be best to shop locally.
    You need to find a new FFL... I pay $15 for the FFL fee, than shipping costs... So closer to 25-35 bucks extra...

Than if you buy online, you also don't have to pay sales tax...

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

You need to find a new FFL... I pay $15 for the FFL fee, than shipping costs... So closer to 25-35 bucks extra...

Which side of the mountains do you live on???

I rest my case.

I try not to pay sales tax as it is, OR transfer fees......I buy in-state, face to face.

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

Which side of the mountains do you live on???

I rest my case.

I try not to pay sales tax as it is, OR transfer fees......I buy in-state, face to face.
    I pay $15 for long guns and $20 for pistols. So, it really doesn't matter what side of the state you're on. You need to do your homework better.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Rainer Guns is listed at auction arms as doing transfers for $20. All the guns I have bought online and I have paid no more than $25 for shipping. Hell I got my sw9f for just over $200 when it was all said and done because I waited for the right deal. I even helped out the local economy in Ma. :P
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

$10 per here or muliples on one 4473. Working with an FFL for years now that will accept from individuals. That $20 + a % of the guncrap drove me off. I know FFLs need to make money but what are they doing for that %? Absolutely nothing.

If you can go to a part of the country where you can find a deal and thearmcan be inspected/found to be in good working order for a good price . . . . heck yeah, buy it and have it shippedto a friendly FFL.

Problem is it bothers me to have to fill out a separate form for the WA state patrol on multiple pistols bought at the same time. What do they care and when are they going to destroy that info?

Slugger