• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a gun out of state.

Izzle

imported post

I am going to Texas for a week tomorrow and will be attending a gun show while there. What are the restrictions for buying a pistol down there and brining it back? Can I just bring it back with me in my checked luggage or do I have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in WA?

CC27

imported post

You have to have it shipped to a ffl dealer inWA from a ffl dealer in TX and then transferred into your name.

David.Car

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Good thing that you can only buy long guns in states that border your own and you can only guy pistols in your own state... itjust resonates with freedom doesn't it.
You can buy it from out of state... Just means you have to have it shipped to a dealer, than have them record all the information and check on you, than you get to pay them a fee for the privelage...

Edit: It can work out though. Have personally saved over $200.00 on a new firearm by useing thismethod, so sometimes it works out.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Izzle wrote:
I am going to Texas for a week tomorrow and will be attending a gun show while there. What are the restrictions for buying a pistol down there and brining it back? Can I just bring it back with me in my checked luggage or do I have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in WA?

It's probably more trouble than its worth. Unless, that is, the pistol you are buying is worth more than the accompanying trouble.

You will have to "purchase" it from the seller, then have the seller (or the seller's FFL) ship the gun to a WA FFL, where you get to pay their transfer fee, and the shipping costs involved as well, before you get "your" pistol. If you found a mint, Stainless Colt Python that was NIB, it might be worth all the extra hassle, but the process ends up costing nearly an extra $100-$150 depending on shipping and transfer fees, so on a used SA XD, it might just be best to shop locally.

Izzle

imported post

ya kinda stupid how i can buy a gun in my state and travel to other states with it but you cant buy one in a different state and bring it home.

Tawnos

imported post

Wait, you can't purchase it, then ship it to yourself? Since it's never left your possession?

Anyone have the RCW on that (or is it a USC)? I'm curious to know how that works.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Wait, you can't purchase it, then ship it to yourself? Since it's never left your possession?

Anyone have the RCW on that (or is it a USC)? I'm curious to know how that works.
It's not legal to buy a handgun out of your state of residence and take possession of it in that state. You can buy it and pay for itbut the seller (if he is an FFL)or his FFL must ship it to an FFL here, who will do the paperwork and transfer it to you. Sort of violates the hell out of the 2A doesn't it? If you already own the gun, say your brother took it home with him when he last visited. Then you fly down and take position of it, then sure you can ship it to yourself. Or better yet just take it with you. My wife flys and takes her pistolin her luggage all the time.

bcp

imported post

I think this got started before instant check was possible. Only the local officials could know if you were legal to own a gun. The local police had to approve/disapprove the purchase. It should have gone away when NICS started.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bcp wrote:
I think this got started before instant check was possible. Only the local officials could know if you were legal to own a gun. The local police had to approve/disapprove the purchase. It should have gone away when NICS started.
Yeah right, they never kill any hinderence to your rights, ever.

nathan

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Good thing that you can only buy long guns in states that border your own and you can only guy pistols in your own state... itjust resonates with freedom doesn't it.

Do you have a cite for the long gun part? I've heard long guns are OK and I've heard they aren't. Trying to figure out which it is. Thanks.

David.Car

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
It's probably more trouble than its worth. Unless, that is, the pistol you are buying is worth more than the accompanying trouble.

You will have to "purchase" it from the seller, then have the seller (or the seller's FFL) ship the gun to a WA FFL, where you get to pay their transfer fee, and the shipping costs involved as well, before you get "your" pistol. If you found a mint, Stainless Colt Python that was NIB, it might be worth all the extra hassle, but the process ends up costing nearly an extra $100-$150 depending on shipping and transfer fees, so on a used SA XD, it might just be best to shop locally.
You need to find a new FFL... I pay $15 for the FFL fee, than shipping costs... So closer to 25-35 bucks extra...

Than if you buy online, you also don't have to pay sales tax...

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

David.Car wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

You need to find a new FFL... I pay $15 for the FFL fee, than shipping costs... So closer to 25-35 bucks extra...

Which side of the mountains do you live on???

I rest my case.

I try not to pay sales tax as it is, OR transfer fees......I buy in-state, face to face.

just_a_car

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

Which side of the mountains do you live on???

I rest my case.

I try not to pay sales tax as it is, OR transfer fees......I buy in-state, face to face.

I pay $15 for long guns and $20 for pistols. So, it really doesn't matter what side of the state you're on. You need to do your homework better.

joeroket

imported post

Rainer Guns is listed at auction arms as doing transfers for $20. All the guns I have bought online and I have paid no more than $25 for shipping. Hell I got my sw9f for just over $200 when it was all said and done because I waited for the right deal. I even helped out the local economy in Ma. :p

Slugger

imported post

$10 per here or muliples on one 4473. Working with an FFL for years now that will accept from individuals. That $20 + a % of the guncrap drove me off. I know FFLs need to make money but what are they doing for that %? Absolutely nothing.

If you can go to a part of the country where you can find a deal and thearmcan be inspected/found to be in good working order for a good price . . . . heck yeah, buy it and have it shippedto a friendly FFL.

Problem is it bothers me to have to fill out a separate form for the WA state patrol on multiple pistols bought at the same time. What do they care and when are they going to destroy that info?

Slugger