• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas to Virginia

rodbender

imported post

I'll be going to Va. to visit my son at Christmas and would like to know about OC and CC and laws about transport in vehicles in the states that I'll be passing through. I'll be looking up some of thesemyself but it sure would save me a lot of time if you guys know where I can findthe info I'm looking for and can provide cites. I'll be passing through La, Ms, Al, barely clip Ga, Tn, and into Va. I'll be particularly interested in thelaws in Va. as I'll be there a few days, Lynchburg to be precise. All of them reciprocate with Texas CHL, but laws are different.

cREbralFIX

imported post

OC at all times...take your best holster! No permit required.

handgunlaw.us shows that VA recognizes TX concealed handgun permits.

Check out the list of restricted locations.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
We Virginians enjoy more lenient laws than you Texans do. You may OC most places (including restaurants that serve alcohol on the premise). Please enjoy your stay.

1) Besides the OC maps here on OCDO, you may want to check www.handgunlaws.us for some of the more esoteric laws along the way, such as carrying (open or concealed) between your car and your temporary home on the road (hotel/motel room), as well as the laws on where you can not carry once you get out of your car.

2) Let us know where & when you will be in Virginia - we are always ready to throw an OC Dinner for out-of-state guests.

stay safe.

skidmark

isaiah

imported post

I recently traveled with my guns from Maine to Virginia for school. From what I gathered when I was looking into it, you're good so long as the guns are unloaded and locked in a separate compartment in your vehicle or locked in a box and you're travelling from a place you can legally own the firearm to a place you can legally own the firearm.
IANAL

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

isaiah wrote:
I recently traveled with my guns from Maine to Virginia for school. From what I gathered when I was looking into it, you're good so long as the guns are unloaded and locked in a separate compartment in your vehicle or locked in a box and you're travelling from a place you can legally own the firearm to a place you can legally own the firearm.
IANAL

Sure, you can go that route, but where's the fun in it?:(

It's much nicer to legally OC-ing as you motor along - and it's so much nicer to legally OC as you make pit stops, gas stops, and food stops, not to mention legally OC-ing when stopping off for tourist attractions (places that attract tourist's dollars like a super-magnet).

Once you Texas fells find out how it feels to OC instead of worrying that you might be printing or exposing yourself, you will return home and make sure that your legislature passes the OC law.

stay safe.

skidmark

rodbender

imported post

isaiah wrote:
IANAL
No way! I'm toting these suckers loaded to beat 60,with one in the pipe.

isaiah

imported post

Ah I failed to take that part into account. I wasn't able to carry on my way down as I'm still waiting to receive my holster.

You could always just go my route and cross your fingers. :p