• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Go For THe Gun

2a4all

imported post

It's good to see the D/P take a stand for enforcing the existing laws that proscribe illegal gun use. We certainly don't need MORE anti-gun laws.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-ed_guns_edit_0812aug12,0,6492865.story

It would help Law Abiding Gun Owners a great deal if the D/P would support an effort to get rid of "foolish" gun laws. Open carry only in restaurants that serve alcohol is a prime example.
Not only do Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) holders undergo background checks when they buy their firearms, they have also submitted themselves to additional checks when they applied for their CHPs. Why are they considered more of a risk when carrying concealed in a restaurant than individuals carrying openly who don't have a CHP (who perhaps bought his/her gun from an "unlicensed dealer")?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For many years, the DP was rabidly anti-gun, but I think after years and years of being hammered by traditional Virginians (like me) they have learned to moderate a bit. They used to be like missionaries of the Church of Secular Leftism, residing here to give us backward Virginians the benefit of their civilizing influence. That failed and the paper still wants to sell copy so now they actually avoid the old radical lines.

They still backslide at times. Of course, they still still go on about the "gunshow loophole", and fail to give the NRA credit for helping to set up the original Project Exile in Richmond. You can bet if Sarah Brady had done that, they'd never forget to plug her.

Oh well, at least the editorial focusses on the criminals, not the inanimate object. For now.