• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizen's Tips to Successful Arguing

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here are my tips for successful arguing on the forum.

1) DON'T ARGUE. "What?", youmay ask. "I've been tricked by the thread title!" Not at all. Read on.

2) Lots more people read the threads than participate. See thepost counts and view counts by the thread titles.

3) Just like martial arts, use his momentum against him. In this case, just step aside and let him run into the wall of public opinion, buttressed by your reputation.

4) Have faith in your forum mates. They're not stupid. If you can recognize a newbie or troll is being an idiot, impolite, or argumentative, your forum mates can recognize it, too. They will think far less of him than they will of you. Especially if you remain silent and do not get into the fight.

5) So lethim blather, cuss, call names.

6) If you think it worth responding at all, just be calm, patient, and polite about it. Do realize that your assailant probably won't change his view easily anyway, so consider how much effort it might take when deciding whether its worth it. I consider generally thatif he isn't going to play nice, I don't owe it to him to pass along knowledge or wisdom that it hastaken meover a yearto aquire by reading the wiser heads on this forum.

7) Remember, the forum is here to share knowledge and wisdom. If somebody wants to start an argument, he is violating that basic purpose. No sense in you perpetuating that violation.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent points, Citizen. I usually avoid forum arguments however, as happened recently to me and may even have been part of the impetus for this thread, it is easy to get sucked in on occasion. It is not always easy to self-filter snarky comments to someone who offers provocation.

ETA: I love Monty Python and that is indeed a memorable sketch I have not seen in some time.

Gunslinger

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Excellent points, Citizen. I usually avoid forum arguments however, as happened recently to me and may even have been part of the impetus for this thread, it is easy to get sucked in on occasion. It is not always easy to self-filter snarky comments to someone who offers provocation.

ETA: I love Monty Python and that is indeed a memorable sketch I have not seen in some time.
I agree with Diver, very good points, Citizen. But while principled people may disagree with civility, an a-hole will always be an a-hole. And if it flies and quacks, I have a hard time not saying "look at the duck."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

I agree with Diver, very good points, Citizen. But while principled people may disagree with civility, an a-hole will always be an a-hole. And if it flies and quacks, I have a hard time not saying "look at the duck."
I understand.

Dorealize that everybody else knows what a duck looks and sounds like, too.

If you find it irresistable to comment, just be careful you don't sound like a duck. :)

We'll make you the official originator of the duck metaphor applied to forum fights. :)

"Sounds like a flock of ducks!"

:D

Tomahawk

imported post

You forgot rule number 8: Always dress stylish when arguing with Citizen.

Zoolander_001.jpg