• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynnwood Shootout

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

According to the Everett Herald:

A man was asked to leave the party. He later returned with two friends. One person was armed with a shotgun.

One of the party-goers told police he heard someone shout something from a car. Then he saw the barrel of a rifle pointed out the window and a flash from the muzzle, the documents said.

The man, 29, of Tacoma, allegedly returned fire with a .45-­caliber Taurus handgun.

Amidst the gunfire, a Lynnwood police officer, 28, arrived and fired once at the man with the handgun, the documents said.

A police dog later led officers to that man. He was jailed for investigation of first-degree assault.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080812/NEWS01/48765302#Flying.bullets.disrupt.Lynnwood.house.party

But this just doesn't sound right...

1. Guy asked to leave party

2. Guy returns with a shotgun and fires at party attendees

3. Man at party returns fire

4. Man who returned fire shot at by police andarrested

Sounds like a clear case of self defense to me! Obviously I don't know all the facts but......

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
According to the Everett Herald:

A man was asked to leave the party. He later returned with two friends. One person was armed with a shotgun.

One of the party-goers told police he heard someone shout something from a car. Then he saw the barrel of a rifle pointed out the window and a flash from the muzzle, the documents said.

The man, 29, of Tacoma, allegedly returned fire with a .45-­caliber Taurus handgun.

Amidst the gunfire, a Lynnwood police officer, 28, arrived and fired once at the man with the handgun, the documents said.

A police dog later led officers to that man. He was jailed for investigation of first-degree assault.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080812/NEWS01/48765302#Flying.bullets.disrupt.Lynnwood.house.party

But this just doesn't sound right...

1. Guy asked to leave party

2. Guy returns with a shotgun and fires at party attendees

3. Man at party returns fire

4. Man who returned fire shot at by police andarrested

Sounds like a clear case of self defense to me! Obviously I don't know all the facts but......
That sure the heck doesn't sound right.

3/325

imported post

Outside the house party, detectives found 11 spent shell casings. They believe nine came from the handgun, one from the shotgun and one was fired by the police officer. The spent rounds matched the weapons recovered by Lynnwood police, the documents said.

As many as 30 people were at the party at the time of the shooting. Police on Monday continued to interview witnesses, Sessions said.

The officer who fired a round has been with Lynnwood police for a year and a half. He has not been placed on administrative leave, although commanders plan to review the case, she said.

How long did this gun battle go on? They only found one shotgun shell casing outside the house, so I'm guessing there must have been more empty shells in the car. And how did the cop arrive "amidst the shooting"? Was he already nearby?

joeroket

imported post

It doesn't really say how many shots were fired from the shotgun. The witness said they saw a muzzle flash, not multiple muzzle flashes. It will be interesting to hear a little more about this case as they give info the the media.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
It doesn't really say how many shots were fired from the shotgun. The witness said they saw a muzzle flash, not multiple muzzle flashes. It will be interesting to hear a little more about this case as they give info the the media.

Does it matter? If someone fires a shotgun in my direction, I would have no problem emptying my mag in his direction! I'm not waiting for him to shoot again!

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Does it matter? If someone fires a shotgun in my direction, I would have no problem emptying my mag in his direction! I'm not waiting for him to shoot again!
Read 3/325's post then my post again.

just_a_car

imported post

If you read the whole article, the car was later crashed and found to have shotgun shells in it. They found a man in a local hospital that was admitted with head injuries due to the car crash.

I read this over my cereal this morning and thought it sounded like a clear case of self-defense, but I can't judge as I wasn't there.

Though, the fact that the officer fired once at the man with the Taurus implies that's all it took to stop the man. This says to me that either the man with the Taurus was scared of the officer's gun more than the shotgun or that the man with the Taurus was a good guy and surrendered as soon as the officer made that mistaken shot. Not knowing how it all went down, this is all conjecture and I hope justice is served where it's due.

amlevin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
If you read the whole article, the car was later crashed and found to have shotgun shells in it. They found a man in a local hospital that was admitted with head injuries due to the car crash.

I read this over my cereal this morning and thought it sounded like a clear case of self-defense, but I can't judge as I wasn't there.

Though, the fact that the officer fired once at the man with the Taurus implies that's all it took to stop the man. This says to me that either the man with the Taurus was scared of the officer's gun more than the shotgun or that the man with the Taurus was a good guy and surrendered as soon as the officer made that mistaken shot. Not knowing how it all went down, this is all conjecture and I hope justice is served where it's due.
I too read the article over my "frosted flakes" and it appears that the officer who fired is somewhat of a "noob" on the department. With only 18 mos or so of experience it is possible that he might have overreacted when he saw the citizen with a gun and fired before he knew what the situation was. I see some more training in his immediate future.

3/325

imported post

I too read the article over my "frosted flakes" and it appears that the officer who fired is somewhat of a "noob" on the department. With only 18 mos or so of experience it is possible that he might have overreacted when he saw the citizen with a gun and fired before he knew what the situation was. I see some more training in his immediate future.

supertroopers10.jpg

dlnwoody

imported post

Does the article say if the cop showed up with lights and identify him self. In my opinion he should not have shot at anyone unless being shot at or a gun turned on him. I know it is all about officer safety but dam. What would of happened if he did not identify him self and was shot and killed. Is it murder or self defense.

Johnny Law

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
Does the article say if the cop showed up with lights and identify him self. In my opinion he should not have shot at anyone unless being shot at or a gun turned on him. I know it is all about officer safety but dam. What would of happened if he did not identify him self and was shot and killed. Is it murder or self defense.
We can"whatif"all day, but until the whole story is known it's pure speculation. The Officer may well have rolled up and seen the alleged victim cranking off multiple rounds, and thought that he was the bg. That would be tragic if true, but it sounds like that may well have happened. It is also unknown if he challenged the shooter to drop the gun.