• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with a kilt

pullnshoot25

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Mmm, Pullnshoot, is that a Marlin 336?
That is a 1954 Marlin 336 R.C. in 30/30. Unfortunately, I sold it to a member on calguns.net and I kind of wish I had it in the fold again. Maybe in the future I will get another older gun like that but for right now it is best to simplify the collection.

ScottyT

imported post

I wore my Utilikilt to the OC picnic last night:

kilt_oc_005809.jpg

kilt_oc_004212.jpg

The wife loves the new Kilt!
kilt_oc_003589.jpg

pullnshoot25

imported post

Just got off the phone with a very grumpy woman about using an IWB holster for carry in my kilt and she said that the gun has to be visible... which didn't leave me with any clear definition so pressing further, I asked if when the gun is in the holster if it is one unit and they said that the gun AND holster have to be visible.

For their insolence and rudeness, I shall be wearing the bastard on my chest or shoulder OR I will get myself a kydex holster.... gosh dammit!

celticredneck

imported post

I have carried a 686 in an Uncle Mikes sideguard holster quite a few times while wearing a Sportkilt. I just strap on the holster with a regular belt. With my quality kilts, I haven't tried because the kilt belts are too wide and a small belt doesn't look good with a traditional kilt.

pullnshoot25

imported post

celticredneck wrote:
I have carried a 686 in an Uncle Mikes sideguard holster quite a few times while wearing a Sportkilt. I just strap on the holster with a regular belt. With my quality kilts, I haven't tried because the kilt belts are too wide and a small belt doesn't look good with a traditional kilt.

How do you like your Sportkilt? I've been thinking about getting their hiking kilt due to its simplicity and light weight. Recommend or no?

celticredneck

imported post

Mine is the old style Sportkilt. It is comfortable and good for just knocking around. But if you want something you could wear to a Celtic festival, or just out to dinner, I would reccomend a USA Casual. It is made from a material called polyviscose. It is fully washable and holds the pleats very well. The Sportkilt is poly cotton, and unless you get all of the options, it is going to look nothing like a real kilt. But, by the time you add all of those options, you are paying just about the price of the USA kilts casual. Another good option for a knockaround kilt is a Stillwater kilt. It only comes in one length, 24 inches, so you need to be from about 5'10" to just over 6' to wear it properly, but Stillwater has the fastest customer service on the planet. I'm not sure about posting links on this forum, especially for a non-carry subject, but if you PM me, I'll give you links to the merchants.

pullnshoot25

imported post

celticredneck wrote:
Mine is the old style Sportkilt. It is comfortable and good for just knocking around. But if you want something you could wear to a Celtic festival, or just out to dinner, I would reccomend a USA Casual. It is made from a material called polyviscose. It is fully washable and holds the pleats very well. The Sportkilt is poly cotton, and unless you get all of the options, it is going to look nothing like a real kilt. But, by the time you add all of those options, you are paying just about the price of the USA kilts casual. Another good option for a knockaround kilt is a Stillwater kilt. It only comes in one length, 24 inches, so you need to be from about 5'10" to just over 6' to wear it properly, but Stillwater has the fastest customer service on the planet. I'm not sure about posting links on this forum, especially for a non-carry subject, but if you PM me, I'll give you links to the merchants.
Yeah, I have seen all their kilts and whatnot on their websites. What I am really looking for is one multipurpose kilt (utilikilt) and one that is lighter for hiking and more casual wear. Stillwater kilts look pretty cool for that purpose but I will have to check around...

Also, which stillwater kilt would you recommend? I can't seem to figure out all the pleats and fabrics and all that stuff. Kinda confusing actually.

Justice76

imported post

So, pullnshoot25 two threads (over a great swath of time) with you inquiring about kilts n' guns. Did you ever get one?

pullnshoot25

imported post

No, I started to make one but never finished it since my mom didn't want me borrowing her sewing machine and I don't want to buy one since I would rather have more ammo or another gun. I might ask some girl in a sewing class to make me one to fulfill her school project or something...

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just asked my wife to pull out the sewing machine and forgot that she doesn't know how to use it. I was thinking too that I might like to make my own, and that would provide a lot of flexibility.

And with the wholesale garment district here (downtown LA) I can find lots of good material here very cheap.

I will see if I can make one in enough time for the Diego meet.

And I know what you all are thinking. . . Way I see it sewing is ok if your making a kilt. I refuse to turn in my man card for that!

Justice76

imported post

Wow! Make your own kilt? I hear kilts are one of the hardest clothing items to make with all of the pleating, even without matching up a traditional tartan pattern. Go Theseus!