• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with a kilt

pullnshoot25

imported post

I think I have pretty much eliminated Utilikilt since they are anti-gun (I have proof of it too if anyone cares to see it) so I think I will be going with Neokilt or Sportkilt.

Now, here is the dilemma... my holsters. My holsters are of a pancake design and require belt tension to work, plus they ride high. Does anyone have any insight on this matter? Will such a holster work on a kilt due to the low-riding nature of a kilt or do I have to get a different type?

Now, there is the Neokilt, which has that really cool gun pocket for IWB carry BUT in commie-fornia that might be an issue. I am having a cop look into it for me though but still, it is hard because even though IWB shows as much of the gun as OWB, IWB might be considered "concealed," which sucks since there is no definition of concealed on the books.

In any case, here are pictures of my holsters. They are all Simply Rugged holsters.

First one is a makarov in IWB
Second and 3rd are my Tracker (can't be IWB, dont have the loops)
The fourth one is the makarov in OWB.

So, anyone have experience on this matter? Anyone have a favorite kilt?

pullnshoot25

imported post

That just might have to work but I don't want to have to deal with it flopping around or bending the belt when I sit down, etc. I will probably have to consider that or a padddle holster.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bein' a Scot (decent) myself... I'd use a regular wideswordbelt 'n holster with a Celtic buckle or a big square one. With a kilt... a flapped military holster would work OK with your Makarov opposite of yer Claymore hanger 'n same side as yer Dirk. For CC... you could use yer Sporran... if you have one. Aye! :)

Don't forget the Skian Dubh in yer sock (hose)either. My fav kilt is the 'ancient' green 'n violet one with the narrow dark yellow stripe of my Clan.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Bein' a Scot (decent) myself... I'd use a regular wideswordbelt 'n holster with a Celtic buckle or a big square one. With a kilt... a flapped military holster would work OK with your Makarov opposite of yer Claymore hanger 'n same side as yer Dirk. For CC... you could use yer Sporran... if you have one. Aye! :)

Don't forget the Skian Dubh in yer sock (hose)either. My fav kilt is the 'ancient' green 'n violet one with the narrow dark yellow stripe of my Clan.
The only problem with all of that is that I live in Commie-Fornia. Cant carry a Skian Dubh in a sock because that is partial concealment of a sheath knife and a felony. I cant use a military flap holster because that is concealment as well.

Oh, the problems of living in this craphole of a state!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

The only problem with all of that is that I live in Commie-Fornia. Cant carry a Skian Dubh in a sock because that is partial concealment of a sheath knife and a felony. I cant use a military flap holster because that is concealment as well.

Sue the bastards for violation of your Cultural heritage / Civil rights! I was gonna say... come to Arizona... but we have too many Commiefornians here now... that bring their goofy ideas with 'em.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the info. You are in San Diego? I'm sorry:p I spent two years there, and it was hell on earth, especially for a liveaboard boater... If you ever get up to the Puget Sound region, lemme know!

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Sue the bastards for violation of your Cultural heritage / Civil rights! I was gonna say... come to Arizona... but we have too many Commiefornians here now... that bring their goofy ideas with 'em.
But I am a good Californian, living in exile! I was born here but I was not meant to be here! I promise! :)

See, I have pictures to prove it!

201_131119.jpg

Besides, I am 1/2 Ukrainian and 1/2 Italian, I cant sue for cultural crap when it comes to kilts :(

pullnshoot25

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Thanks for the info. You are in San Diego? I'm sorry:p I spent two years there, and it was hell on earth, especially for a liveaboard boater... If you ever get up to the Puget Sound region, lemme know!
How did you know I was in San Diego? It isn't hard to find out being that I am all over the net but I am just curious since I didn't post it on here (I think...)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
How did you know I was in San Diego? It isn't hard to find out being that I am all over the net but I am just curious since I didn't post it on here (I think...)
I have pyscho, err pyschic powers.:p

In your email exchange with Utilikilt you said if the owner ever gets down to San Diego...

Elementary my dear pullnshoot, elementary.

ScottyT

imported post

I spent most evenings last weekend with several of the guys who run Utilikilt (they were in town for the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show) and they are NOT anti-gun. I was carrying around them a couple of evenings (once OC) and they didn't have any problems with it. We even discussed holster options in depth and they seemed enthusiastic about it. One manager (the guy from your "proof") hardly makes the company anti-gun.

I will be wearing my new Utilikilt (the Survival model) to the OC picnic in SLC tonight! I was lucky enough to pick it up for about half the WHOLESALE price! I wore it hiking yesterday, as well as working the OR show all last weekend, and I am now a convert! My company will be starting casual days in September and I plan on wearing it at work as well.

The Survival model is the "12 pack" Utilikilt -- it holds 12 bottles of a beverage of your choice in its various pockets! These things are built like tanks and the workmanship is fantastic. My 80-year-old Grandmother, who has been an accomplished seamstress since she was a little girl, admired the work that went into it. A friend of mine has been adventure racing in his for over 2 years now and swears by it -- the kilt has held up beautifully!

pullnshoot25

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
I have pyscho, err pyschic powers.:p

In your email exchange with Utilikilt you said if the owner ever gets down to San Diego...

Elementary my dear pullnshoot, elementary.
HAHA. Not that I am dumb or anything, but it is kind of like when you wear a name badge and you don't remember that you ware wearing it, haha :)

pullnshoot25

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I spent most evenings last weekend with several of the guys who run Utilikilt (they were in town for the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show) and they are NOT anti-gun. I was carrying around them a couple of evenings (once OC) and they didn't have any problems with it. We even discussed holster options in depth and they seemed enthusiastic about it. One manager (the guy from your "proof") hardly makes the company anti-gun.

I will be wearing my new Utilikilt (the Survival model) to the OC picnic in SLC tonight! I was lucky enough to pick it up for about half the WHOLESALE price! I wore it hiking yesterday, as well as working the OR show all last weekend, and I am now a convert! My company will be starting casual days in September and I plan on wearing it at work as well.

The Survival model is the "12 pack" Utilikilt -- it holds 12 bottles of a beverage of your choice in its various pockets! These things are built like tanks and the workmanship is fantastic. My 80-year-old Grandmother, who has been an accomplished seamstress since she was a little girl, admired the work that went into it. A friend of mine has been adventure racing in his for over 2 years now and swears by it -- the kilt has held up beautifully!
Well hell, two differing opinions! So the guy is anti-gun but not really or the employee is anti-gun and blamed his boss?

Fudge, I am just going to have to call them now, crap!

What holster do you use for open carrying and what gun goes in it? Pictures?

ScottyT

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
ScottyT wrote:Well hell, two differing opinions! So the guy is anti-gun but not really or the employee is anti-gun and blamed his boss?

Just a disclaimer -- I brought up the custom thing to and they told me no custom work as well. It is something they are considering for future products, but right now they are just trying to keep up with their own rapid growth, they can't afford to slow down for customs right now.

I carry my SA XD 45 in a Blackhawk! CQB paddle holster and it is very comfortable. I will take a pic or two tonight.

I am currently making a couple of 2" nylon belts with some cool buckles to wear with the kilt (as I can't afford their incredibly nice handmade leather belts).

See if you can speak to Nate, Jodi or Simon, tell them Scott Reed sent you (no, that isn't me, that is the friend who introduced me to them). The call-center type folks wouldn't know him.

pullnshoot25

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
ScottyT wrote:Well hell, two differing opinions! So the guy is anti-gun but not really or the employee is anti-gun and blamed his boss?

Just a disclaimer -- I brought up the custom thing to and they told me no custom work as well. It is something they are considering for future products, but right now they are just trying to keep up with their own rapid growth, they can't afford to slow down for customs right now.

I carry my SA XD 45 in a Blackhawk! CQB paddle holster and it is very comfortable. I will take a pic or two tonight.

I am currently making a couple of 2" nylon belts with some cool buckles to wear with the kilt (as I can't afford their incredibly nice handmade leather belts).

See if you can speak to Nate, Jodi or Simon, tell them Scott Reed sent you (no, that isn't me, that is the friend who introduced me to them). The call-center type folks wouldn't know him.

Simply Rugged made my bely and it is the best damned belt I've had. Dont know the prices on the UK belts (too lazy to look) but they can be made pretty wide.

Simplyrugged.com

david.ross

imported post

Why not just make the modifications yourself with a sewing machine? :/

You can add belt loops to a kilt, or you can just make some attachment so you can place some type of sturdy plastic mount for a lighter firearm.

Where's the wife when you need her? :lol:

*yeah, I'm a guy and I love to sew.*