• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in a police station, state and federal office

Godscreation

imported post

This was touched on in another thread but I wanted to focus on this because I think it is important. Read what the gun laws say:

"A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises."

So to summarize guns are forbidden in the following places:

School property (14-269.2)
Alcohol is sold and consumed (14‑269.3)
parades, funeral processions, picket lines
(14‑277.2)
Law enforcement or correctional facility (no statute)
In a building housing only State or federal offices (no statute)
In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government (no statute)
A financial institution (no statute)
Or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premise (no statute).

Clearly we can see weapons are forbidden on school grounds and such, and even If you have a permit you still cannot carry on those areas. Then it goes on and lists a few other areas with no statute backing up what they are saying. Does this mean we can OC in a Law Enforcement facility? I know you can in a bank, but it seems like there are certain places weapons are banned, and then certain areas CONCEALED weapons are banned (areas not backed with statutes).

Help me clear this up people. Can I really OC in a police station or a Federal office? I’m a little confused. (like gun laws are not confusing)

EDIT: changed to what Dreqo said below.
EDIT: put quotation marks on quote like Mike suggested

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

This summarization of off limits areas is great, but please change "parades and public events" to what the statute actually says, to avoid confusion (i.e. parades, funeral processions, picket lines).

As far as carrying in a police department, I know there are signs ALL OVER the place stating that it is illegal for you to have a gun in there. I do not know the answer to your question, however. Normally it's good to try to avoid asking a cop for legal advice, but this might be an exception. If they know any law off the top of their head, this would probably be it lol.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

§ 14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.
If there is no local ordinance against carrying in public buildings and the police station is not posted against firearms technically it seems to be legal to open carry a firearm inside a police station. A federal office is illegal to carry in under federal law 18 U.S.C. § 922 so that is definetly off limits.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
This was touched on in another thread but I wanted to focus on this because I think it is important. Read what the gun laws say:

A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

So to summarize guns are forbidden in the following places:

School property (14-269.2)
Alcohol is sold and consumed (14‑269.3)
parades, funeral processions, picket lines
(14‑277.2)
Law enforcement or correctional facility (no statute)
In a building housing only State or federal offices (no statute)
In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government (no statute)
A financial institution (no statute)
Or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premise (no statute).

Clearly we can see weapons are forbidden on school grounds and such, and even If you have a permit you still cannot carry on those areas. Then it goes on and lists a few other areas with no statute backing up what they are saying. Does this mean we can OC in a Law Enforcement facility? I know you can in a bank, but it seems like there are certain places weapons are banned, and then certain areas CONCEALED weapons are banned (areas not backed with statutes).

Help me clear this up people. Can I really OC in a police station or a Federal office? I’m a little confused. (like gun laws are not confusing)

EDIT: changed to what Dreqo said below.
When you post to this board, cite to authority. if you are quoting text of a statute or court case, use quotation marks.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I looked and §922 has to do with regulating thetransfer of firearms but it is in the same section with §930 that bans the possession of firearms in federal facilities.
§930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in
a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to
do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1
year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be
used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be
present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or
attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not
more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of
subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal
facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or
attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided
in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to--
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer,
agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political
subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or
supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution
of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a
Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession
is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court facility,
or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not
more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in
paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the
United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders
regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within
any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any
grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term ``Federal facility'' means a building or part
thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their
official duties.
(2) The term ``dangerous weapon'' means a weapon, device,
instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is
used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily
injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a
blade of less than 2\1/2\ inches in length.
(3) The term ``Federal court facility'' means the courtroom,
judges' chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney
conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court
clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal,
probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court
of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility,
and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each
public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be
convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a
Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility,