• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Transfer Question

tstanfield12

imported post

So I am looking to lighten my safe a little and had a few questions of selling/transferring handguns in Washington.

From what I have researched I need a bill of sale for both parties and it must contain names and serial #'s. Then just exchange gun and money right? Now that is a FTF and if I ship it must go through a FFL dealer.

But is there no waiting period or background check for the buyer. Even when buying a new handgun with a CPL they still have to call the NICS right?

Any help would be appreciated - BTW I am selling a Kimber Compact CDP II with1 Kimber 7 round mag and 1 Wilson Combat 7 Rdmag and 2 extra recoil springs.Gunis less than 2 months old and hasless than 200 rounds through it. Will be asking $900 obo.

Also I have a Springfield XD40 Service with a stainless guide rod and 22 lb recoil spring. Also the Holster/Mag Holder and loader that it comes with. Also with 2 12 round mags and 700 rounds through it. Will be asking $400 obo.

Also if anyone is interested I also would be willing to part with a Glock 23 Homeland Defender that comes with tritium night sights, extended mag and slide release and 4 13 rd Mags. Has around 300 rounds through it and is in perfect condition. Will be asking $550 firm.

Sorry if I am not allowed to post FS here it was supposed to be more of a question for the board. Thanks again.

- T

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Really for a FTF you don't need to do anything but collect money.

BUT I generally would get a bill of sale or whatnot as you describe. There are also forms you can file with the Department of Licensing IIRC. Again, voluntary.

joeroket

imported post

Also to add to what Sv has stated, if the firearm transfer is done through an FFL then yes they do a NICS check regardless if the buyer has a permit, new or used firearm. The only time the CPL comes into play is if they want to leave with thier firearm after the purchase. The CPL holder is exempted from the wiating period.

tstanfield12

imported post

Okay so basically its up to me to determine if the guy is a convicted felon or whatever. I guess originally being from California it is hard for meto realize how easy it is to purchase a handgun with the hassle I had to go through with the FFL dealer before I had my CPL.

Well thanks guys I appreciate it.

- T

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Actually you just have to make a good faith effort. In other words simply asking the guy if he is disqualified, or making him sign something to that effect...

Acutally it's even simpler than that. You cannot knowingly transfer to a prohibited person. So if you know or suspect a person might be prohibited don't sell, or make them go through an FFL. If say your mother wanted the gun, just hand it over...

Yeah things are a lot different here than Kalifornia. Welcome aboard! Now lets see if we can make an OC'r out of you.:D

Bear 45/70

imported post

tstanfield12 wrote:
Okay so basically its up to me to determine if the guy is a convicted felon or whatever. I guess originally being from California it is hard for meto realize how easy it is to purchase a handgun with the hassle I had to go through with the FFL dealer before I had my CPL.

Well thanks guys I appreciate it.

- T
The best way for you to determine if the guy is able to own a firearm and CYAis to ask for a CPL. No CPL, no sale.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
The best way for you to determine if the guy is able to own a firearm and CYAis to ask for a CPL. No CPL, no sale.
Unless the person is between 18 and 21 years of age. Still legal to own/purchase handguns in a face to face transaction, but prohibited from obtaining CPL.

Bear 45/70

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Unless the person is between 18 and 21 years of age. Still legal to own/purchase handguns in a face to face transaction, but prohibited from obtaining CPL.
Just how often do you have a transaction with a 18 to 21 year old? I haven't in all the years I've been doing guns and I did tables at gun shows for years. But it is always possibility.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Just how often do you have a transaction with a 18 to 21 year old? I haven't in all the years I've been doing guns and I did tables at gun shows for years. But it is always possibility.
Not often, I imagine. I bought my first pistol when I was 20 in a FTF transaction. (edit for clarification: this was in WA state.)

It is a common misconception that it is illegal to own a handgun before age 21, so I like to remind folks of what the law actually says.

These comments are not aimed at you, Bear, I am just mentioning this for general educational purposes. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Not often, I imagine. I bought my first pistol when I was 20 in a FTF transaction. (edit for clarification: this was in WA state.)

It is a common misconception that it is illegal to own a handgun before age 21, so I like to remind folks of what the law actually says.

These comments are not aimed at you, Bear, I am just mentioning this for general educational purposes. :)
I bought my first handgun (mine not what my dad or uncle let me use as mine)at 18. But back then you could get your CPL at 18 too so buying from a sporting goods store was as easy as FTF.

Shanew1

imported post

I’m looking to buy, and I am a retired veteran, still working for the government so I would be a perfect buyer.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Shanew1 wrote:
I’m looking to buy, and I am a retired veteran, still working for the government so I would be a perfect buyer.
Aaahh, but can we be sure you are not just buying the gun so you can do the Klinton government thing and destroy it?
RoflLg.gif

joeroket

imported post

While it is legal to do a FTF with a person between 18-21 the law certainly makes the sale difficult because they are only allowed to possess a pistol in thier home, fixed place of business, or real property under thier control. This is stated in rcw 9.41.240. The odd thing is that 9.41.050 says they can have possession of an unloaded pistol.

Contradicting laws? Not in our state. :banghead:

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

joeroket wrote:
While it is legal to do a FTF with a person between 18-21 the law certainly makes the sale difficult because they are only allowed to possess a pistol in thier home, fixed place of business, or real property under thier control.

There are other exemptions in 9.41.060,including carrying an unloaded pistol in an opaque container or secure wrapper, while engaged or transiting to certain outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, camping), and if traveling to and from target practice if part of an organized club.

The statute is certainly written in a confusing manner. I recently discussed this same matter with a deputy, who thought a person under 21 could not possess a pistol, but after he was shown the RCWs, he realized he was mistaken.

The clue that there are other exemptions besides the home, real property, or place of business is that clause in 9.41.050 that says an 18-21 year old can have an unloaded pistol in a vehicle.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
There are other exemptions in 9.41.060...
These exceptions are all-important for the demographic of 18-21 year olds. I recommed that any person in that age group who is interested in getting a pistol review 9.41.240 and then 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and9.41.060 so that you can know what the legal boundaries are.

tstanfield12

imported post

Kparker -

No you didn't scare me off I have just been a little busy the last couple days on my days off. I am located in Northwest Wa - If you have someone thats interested PM me as I haven't listed this anywhere officially now and from what I am seeing that seems about the going price for a slightly used XD40 Service. I also would be willing to drivea littleif needed. Just let me know -

- T