• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of plastic "firearms"

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i have a question that is a bit of a departure from the norm. i figured this would be a good place to ask the question. last night at my monthy American Legion meeting a question came up about parade firearms. as it happens, quit a few groups that have color guards leading parades have switched to airsoft m16 rifles and my legion post is thinking about doing the same. we have some old guys who have a hard time shlepping heavy rifles across town (to be fair, they're all old except me, haha). the goal would be to acquire airsoft m16 rifles and sand and paint black the existing orange barrel tip so that the "weapon" would look realistic. apparantly one of the groups who does this in marine city said they had to get special permission from the police department and sign something stating that the toys would only be used in parades or special events.

i told the legion post that i thought that we would not have to do that because saint clair does not have an ordinance against modifying toy guns. it does have an ordinance prohibiting brandishing toys guns, and obviously carrying them in a publicparade would not qualify as brandishing. so, to get to my question. is anyone aware of any state or federal law that prohibits removing the blaze orange "safety" markings from a toy gun? i am aware that there are laws for manufacturers that require them to mark toy guns in such a manner, but once the end consumer owns the gun, i don't know of anything prohibiting the toy's modification.

taxwhat

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
i have a question that is a bit of a departure from the norm. i figured this would be a good place to ask the question. last night at my monthy American Legion meeting a question came up about parade firearms. as it happens, quit a few groups that have color guards leading parades have switched to airsoft m16 rifles and my legion post is thinking about doing the same. we have some old guys who have a hard time shlepping heavy rifles across town (to be fair, they're all old except me, haha). the goal would be to acquire airsoft m16 rifles and sand and paint black the existing orange barrel tip so that the "weapon" would look realistic. apparantly one of the groups who does this in marine city said they had to get special permission from the police department and sign something stating that the toys would only be used in parades or special events.

i told the legion post that i thought that we would not have to do that because saint clair does not have an ordinance against modifying toy guns. it does have an ordinance prohibiting brandishing toys guns, and obviously carrying them in a publicparade would not qualify as brandishing. so, to get to my question. is anyone aware of any state or federal law that prohibits removing the blaze orange "safety" markings from a toy gun? i am aware that there are laws for manufacturers that require them to mark toy guns in such a manner, but once the end consumer owns the gun, i don't know of anything prohibiting the toy's modification.
please check Federal law on modifications call BATF

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Where is the 'honor' in doing things the easy way.

If there is honor in carrying plastic replicas then consider that there may be as much honor in staying home and playing video game shoot'em-ups.

Like calling BATFEMATSAICE about replica guns. Next you'll be calling the EPA for permission to complete the sanitary paperwork.

We carry M1 parade pieces and I'm politicking for personal sidearms.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

that's funny, because i was always under the impression that the honor came with service to ones' country, not in whatever rifle one carried. do you carry a loaded m1? because otherwise, what's the point? it might as well be a toy.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

taxwhat wrote:

please check Federal law on modifications call BATF
i'm fairly certain that the ATF regulates only alcohol, tobacco and firearms. hence the name. they would be the ATTF if they also regulated toys.
(apologies for feeding the troll)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Where is the 'honor' in doing things the easy way.

If there is honor in carrying plastic replicas then consider that there may be as much honor in staying home and playing video game shoot'em-ups.

Like calling BATFEMATSAICE about replica guns. Next you'll be calling the EPA for permission to complete the sanitary paperwork.

We carry M1 parade pieces and I'm politicking for personal sidearms.
did you just drop by the michigan area to post irrelevant comments and to not answer legitimate questions? seems like a waste of your time and mine. we try to keep things positive in our area. if you want to be negative, perhaps they would appreciate it more in the wisconsin forum.

ScottyT

imported post

The only Federal laws regarding airsoft guns are regarding the orange tip for commerce. The end user can do whatever they want with their property, including removing the orange tip. If you decide to sell the guns across state lines you will have to reapply the orange tip.

Check for any applicable state/local laws -- nothing to worry about federally.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
The only Federal laws regarding airsoft guns are regarding the orange tip for commerce. The end user can do whatever they want with their property, including removing the orange tip. If you decide to sell the guns across state lines you will have to reapply the orange tip.

Check for any applicable state/local laws -- nothing to worry about federally.
cool, that's what i was thinking as well! and thanks for stopping by with a thoughtful answer. you've been most helpful.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I'd check with the city attorney, or maybe the county prosecutor, unless they're total weenies, it shouldn't be a problem.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i already know i'm ok as far as the city goes. saint clair doesn't have much on the books in the way of firearm ordinances (plastic or otherwise). and i'm pretty sure the feds don't have a problem with it. so what about the state of michigan? anyone know anything about than?

taxwhat

imported post

i already know i'm ok as far as the city goes. saint clair doesn't have much on the books in the way of firearm ordinances (plastic or otherwise). and i'm pretty sure the feds don't have a problem with it. so what about the state of michigan? anyone know anything about than?
pretty sure ?????????????????? pick up phone call BATF or homeland security to answer SoM call MSP post lot cheaper than guessing !!!!!!!!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Toy guns do not come under the preview of BATFE or Homeland Security. I believe it would be something to do with consumer product safety.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

taxwhat wrote:
pretty sure ?????????????????? pick up phone call BATF or homeland security to answer SoM call MSP post lot cheaper than guessing !!!!!!!!
dude... what? the invasion... small town america... philosophical differences common to the eastern half. where the red fern grows.

thatc69

At your House doing your Wife & Daug, , USA
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Toy guns do not come under the preview of BATFE or Homeland Security. I believe it would be something to do with consumer product safety.
OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! So when I remove the orange tip from my airsoft gun and get arrested for brandishing, then what is your phone number so I can have the cops call you for your legal expertise?

As for picking up the phone and spending a few minutes calling the BATF or Homeland Security to make sure of the Federal Laws pertaining to removing the orange tip would not cost you anything.

Think about it, when you remove the orange tip, which was put on for the users protection, then the Gun looks real enough that any Cop on patrol would more then likely pull over and proceed to ask you to drop your GUN and step away from it. If you refused, then a taser might in your side as your rolling on the ground in electified agony and your gentials going into retrograde.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thatc69 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! So when I remove the orange tip from my airsoft gun and get arrested for brandishing, then what is your phone number so I can have the cops call you for your legal expertise?

As for picking up the phone and spending a few minutes calling the BATF or Homeland Security to make sure of the Federal Laws pertaining to removing the orange tip would not cost you anything.

Think about it, when you remove the orange tip, which was put on for the users protection, then the Gun looks real enough that any Cop on patrol would more then likely pull over and proceed to ask you to drop your GUN and step away from it. If you refused, then a taser might in your side as your rolling on the ground in electified agony and your gentials going into retrograde.
i think you may have missed the beginning of this thread. i was trying to get info on the legality of using "modified" plastic "rifles" in a parade in which veterans already carry real live M1 rifles of mass destruction. if the vets are not getting tasered for carrying M1s i doubt whether they will be tasered for carrying plastic guns.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

thatc69 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

If you're so stupid that you're gonna do that, don't call me. And I can already tell you what ATF and HS are going to say. "That's not our department."

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

thatc69 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

i think you may have missed the beginning of this thread. i was trying to get info on the legality of using "modified" plastic "rifles" in a parade in which veterans already carry real live M1 rifles of mass destruction. if the vets are not getting tasered for carrying M1s i doubt whether they will be tasered for carrying plastic guns.
I wouldn't worry about it. He's probably a troll. ;)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
thatc69 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. He's probably a troll. ;)
no doubt, considering that was his first post.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

thatc69 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

Perhaps you missed what site you are on. Open carry is legal whether with a real gun or a toy gun. Brandishing (waving it around in a threatening manner.) would apply to a toy or a real gun. But in a holster in plain site....read the info thread. You probably don't remove the tag under penalty of law, which doesn't apply to the consumer.

cce1302

imported post

Venator wrote:
You probably don't remove the tag under penalty of law, which doesn't apply to the consumer.
Beautifulinsult, Venator. May I plagiarize it when appropriate? I don't have a clue who you are, but I bow to your genius.