• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for kids or spouses not ready to take the plunge.

warlockmatized

imported post

I was just thinking last night about purchasing an airsoft or cap pistol and letting my son and wife OC with them it at get togethers. Got the idea from the OC Night Line story. It showed the kids with cap guns during an OC picnic. NO modification to the orange tip of course. I figured it would be a great way to start them out. You know....teach the son properly and ease the wife into something she would like to do, but is a little afraid of.

However i am re-thinking this, since in another thread someone stated "it does have an ordinance prohibiting brandishing toy guns". I guess that would pertain to adults brandishing them, or kids/adults brandishing a toy that has projectiles?

I see kids in my neighborhood everyday that play cops/robbers and cowboys/indians just like we all did when we were kids. I have a hard time imagining them all lined up against a squad car, about to be arrested for brandishing.

The zoo story that was posted showed kids with knives on their belts. A little much if you ask "me". Don't want to go that route.

Any thoughts?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

as far as the toy brandishing ordinance in saint clair goes, i didn't quote the whole section.

"It shall be unlawful for any person to brandish, aim, point, or exhibit to any other person a replica or facsimile of a firearm in such manner as to frighten, threaten, harass, panic or annoy any other person."

so obviously in that case, kids are safe playing cowboys and indians (or some other politically incorrect national pastime, haha) because there is no intent to frighten. IMHO, it would beinappropriate to have kids show up to an open carrygathering with toy guns in holsters. just to be on the safe side and avoid any possible confusion. i could see the media painting somethingas innocent as teaching your kidsin a very different light that what your intention would be. i couldimagine a black and white picture publishedwith a kid holding a toy gun, with a caption like"armed children in the park." the problem would be, if they ran the pic in black and white, you wouldn't be able to see the orange safety tip.

i am all for teaching children about firearms and firearm safety. heck, when i was 7, i asked for a bb gun for my birthday and my dad bought me a marlin .22 little buckaroo. he was against buying me a bb gun because he didn't want me to have something that could be confused as a toy. of course i was only allowed access to my rifle under his direct supervision.

again, just my opinion, with all due respect, warlockmatized.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I would say, no to the kids having toy guns at the Warren picnic.

As far as the wife goes....she should just by a real gun, and carry it. Or if possible she could get a PP and you could gift one of your pistols to her. She will of course need to have the safety inspection done before Saturday.

Just my $.02

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I think it would be a great idea to have the kids have toy guns. What the hell is coming to this country when kids can't play with toy guns. When I was young I had the cowboy six shooter holsters one on each side and went around the neighborhood. This county has become too gun shy and it's time to get over that.

My two cents, hell ya have the kids wear toy guns if you want. Teach them safe gun handling at an early age. All positives in my opinion.

warlockmatized

imported post

dougwg wrote:

As far as the wife goes....she should just by a real gun, and carry it. Or if possible she could get a PP and you could gift one of your pistols to her. She will of course need to have the safety inspection done before Saturday.

Just my $.02
When it comes to the wife she is a shy and timid person by nature. Although her father is a retired Southfiled police officer, and she grew up with a gun in the home. She never fired a hand gun until she fired mine. A few days firing at the range and OC'ing are totally different. When OC'ing if you do not possess the natural ability to be aware of your surroundings, then you must learn it. Just like "some" people who CC for the first time with an empty holster. I want her to gain the confidence to OC properly. Nothing screams "unsafe" more to me than an OC'er with their head in the clouds.

Venator wrote:
I think it would be a great idea to have the kids have toy guns. What the hell is coming to this country when kids can't play with toy guns. When I was young I had the cowboy six shooter holsters one on each side and went around the neighborhood. This county has become too gun shy and it's time to get over that.

My two cents, hell ya have the kids wear toy guns if you want. Teach them safe gun handling at an early age. All positives in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more. Which is why i believe it led me to have the thoughts i did, in regards to "training/preparing" my son to OC properly. Allowing him to OC on private hunting property up north once or twice a year, just isn't enough in MY opinion.

MrsRuger45

imported post

dougwg wrote:

Just my $.02

I have no comment about the children because ruger45 & I do not have children.

But, as for the wife carrying a toy gun to get use to the idea, as a woman, I kind of take offense to that. I think if anyone, male or female, is not ready, doesn't want to, doesn't feel safe doing so, what ever the reason is for not wanting to open carry, then that is their choice not to do so. I gun isn't a toy. If you don't feel comfortable carrying one around or don't want the responsibility, just don't do it. Myself, I choose not to open carry because unfortunately I saw first hand how the police acted when my husband,ruger45, was stopped while OCing. I just don't want the hassle. I think it is great that we as Americans have the right to OC, but I just choose not to do so. One day I may change my mind & when that day comes, I'll run right out, buy myself a gun holster & proudly carry my Ruger 9mm. But it just isn't something that I choose to do.

warlockmatized

imported post

MrsRuger45 wrote:
SNIP: as for the wife carrying a toy gun to get use to the idea, as a woman, I kind of take offense to that.
I guess maybe the point was missed or i did not convey my thought properly. She wants to carry, NO issue there. The issue is....she is the kind of person (gender has NOTHING to do with it) who walks through daily life, with the la-tee-da attitude, with her head in the clouds. She does not have the natural ability (never having learned it or had a reason to care basically) to be aware of her surroundings at ALL times. A very important trait for an OC'er. She is the type of person if involved in a car accident, at the scene would be crying to the officer as he is writing HER the ticket, "sorry officer i didn't know i couldn't make a left turn here". She herself would be a FOOL to carry for real with that type of attitude toward her surroundings. The perfect target for a gun grab attempt or even worse.

It has nothing to do with getting "use to the idea" OR gender. The practice of carrying a fake is to learn the necessary tools one/some needs to carry for real. Thats why we all took drivers ed. To train us to be aware, and to drive safely and properly. Look how well that week long class has turned out for "some". Tons of stupid "i didn't know" mistakes made each day. She herself knows she does not posess the ability to be aware. Hence she would be an UNsafe carrier. A "real" weapon in a proper holster just is NOT enough in MY opinion. I also feel that a "day class" is not enough for people like her. But a constant class/self training session of carrying a fake until the proper skills are learned seems REAL logical to me.

Me personally......I have been UNsafe in the past, while OC'ing. It wasn't until recently that i got a proper retention holster. I am an idiot!!! I put the lives of those around me in danger. I have since rectified "that" situation by obtaining a "proper" holster.

I guess what i am trying to say is that the proper awareness or holster by themselves is not enough. It is a combination of the two along with a lot of other training that makes a safe and responsible carrier. In my wifes case (this thread/idea was aimed directly at HER as a way of helping HER learn/obtain necessary skills that cannot be taught in some quick little class) to run out and get her a gun with just a proper holster is NOT enough. Hence the idea was spawned to OC a fake. Makes sense to her and I anyways.

Michigander

imported post

A quote from the Dateline OC segment:

"Kids played bang bang, and their dads did not....."

If it's at McDonallds or something, I would say absolutely not. But at a park, where no one will care, or be likely to be hit by a stray nerf dart, who cares? Let the kids be kids.

On the other hand, I know a guy who his kids use toy guns, but they always had to respect them just like real guns, and never point them at each other, and carry them pointed in a safe direction while not in a room they were allowed to shoot them in. This way, when they were older, he knew he could trust them with real guns.

Toy guns are a strange item, and they really need to be regulated by parents on a case by case casis.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I thought about that for a long time. But when I was growing up, I played cowboys and Indians, and "army" and cops and robbers and we were always "shooting" at each other with our toy guns, and when I grew up, and started "playing" with real guns, I knew the difference. I never point my firearms at anyone, unless it's a "have to" situation.

I am trying to make sure my kids know the difference also. Still, I don't want to spoil their fun. So, in my opinion, play away kiddies!!

ruger45

imported post

when i went to drivers training they did not use play cars to teach us they used real ones.they said this are cars they can hurt or kill be alert at all times watch around you .if your wife is ready to o.c get a real gun take her to the range and get her used to it buy her a #3 retintion holster and let her go.just my opinion but what ever you do hope it works out.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
A quote from the Dateline OC segment:

"Kids played bang bang, and their dads did not....."

If it's at McDonallds or something, I would say absolutely not. But at a park, where no one will care, or be likely to be hit by a stray nerf dart, who cares? Let the kids be kids.

On the other hand, I know a guy who his kids use toy guns, but they always had to respect them just like real guns, and never point them at each other, and carry them pointed in a safe direction while not in a room they were allowed to shoot them in. This way, when they were older, he knew he could trust them with real guns.

Toy guns are a strange item, and they really need to be regulated by parents on a case by case casis.
It's kind of an odd idea, to treat toys as real guns. It defeats the purpose of the things, which is to let the kids have a battle or chase with their friends. I grew up in a house where we had toy weapons of every type. I think my parents were always ok with it, but the fact that we would make our own toy guns/swords/etc. out of whatever was at hand (sometimes disturbingly well-detailed toys, at that...) made them realize that they might as well get us some nice ones.