Thread: Rifle question (and no Im not going to open carry it)

Post imported post

I have an AR-15 with a 16" barrel, is there any law that bans it in the state, or any rules when it comes to transporting it.

Post imported post

Nevermind it goes by federal law

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    Fed or state the answer is the same, NO.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    So I can't my AR to the range in the hard case

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    No, there are no restrictions, except for the common sense one of UNLOADED, a case is optional.

Post imported post

Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta work up the courage to open carry more often.

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta work up the courage to open carry more often.
    Start off with short trips where you feel safe about it. For example if you need to go to a nearby quick shop to get gas and you are going to pay at the pump. OC to the station, while you pump, and then get in the car and drive home. The next time try a few more places. Just ease into it and you will likely, as most all of us, find that it quickly becomes second nature and just no big deal.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    You will find that OC'ing with other OC'ers will build confidence faster than just about anything else you can do on your own. I found that to be the case myself and have seen it happen with many others here. Even meeting with one other experienced OC'er can be enough, but if that's not doable, then just attend one of the monthly meetings.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    No, there are no restrictions, except for the common sense one of UNLOADED, a case is optional.
    While there are no prohibitions (other than it being unloaded) against transporting your AR, bear in mind that most indoor ranges require that the weapon be cased when you bring it in.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

What kind of AR15? I have a brand new CMMG 14.5 M4. I'm realy interested in these rifles, and curious about others' rifles.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
    What kind of AR15? I have a brand new CMMG 14.5 M4. I'm realy interested in these rifles, and curious about others' rifles.

you mean 14.5" with permanently affixed flash hider taking it to over 16" right?

Post imported post

As for transportation: In motor vehicles, babies must be carried in child restraint seats.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
    I have a S&W M&P15A. Thanks all for the words of confidence

Post imported post

FE427TP wrote:
    SpyderTattoo wrote:

you mean 14.5" with permanently affixed flash hider taking it to over 16" right?
    Yes, of course. Unfortunately I don't have the tax stamp...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    And now, the other side of the story; most ranges I've been to state that all firearms broughtto the range that aren't on the firing line must be unloaded AND CASED, for a variety of safety reasons. Weapons carried concealed with a CHL are exempted because such signs do notcarry force of law against CHLsin this state;a signto the effect of"no open carry of weapons allowed in the store"may or may not affect Washington residents according to your laws. Regardless of whether you are committing a crime if you do not case your weapon,youmay still be in violation of the range rules and from a business perspective they can ban you for life if they so choose. Fair warning; State law defines legal boundaries, but those aren't the only restrictions that can be enforced.

Post imported post

Liko81 wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    And now, the other side of the story; most ranges I've been to state that all firearms broughtto the range that aren't on the firing line must be unloaded AND CASED, for a variety of safety reasons. Weapons carried concealed with a CHL are exempted because such signs do notcarry force of law against CHLsin this state;a signto the effect of"no open carry of weapons allowed in the store"may or may not affect Washington residents according to your laws. Regardless of whether you are committing a crime if you do not case your weapon,youmay still be in violation of the range rules and from a business perspective they can ban you for life if they so choose. Fair warning; State law defines legal boundaries, but those aren't the only restrictions that can be enforced.
    We are in Washington not Texas. Texas rules, as much as Texans think they should, don't apply here. What's with this cased crap anyway, are they all ashamed of being a gun range? I was always under the impression that a gun ranges is where you went to shoot guns, not hide them. FYI the two ranges close to me do not have a silly "must be cased" requirement.

Post imported post

Can someone remind me the vehicle rules when you dont have your cpl. If I have it on me where does the clip have to be?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    Can someone remind me the vehicle rules when you dont have your cpl. If I have it on me where does the clip have to be?
    You have a C-96 Mauser? Cool. That is the only handgun I know of that actually loads from a "clip" :P Sorry that drives me nuts. Semi auto handguns load from a magazine. A clip is a metal strip that holds ammo to load a fixed or removeable magazine faster.

The mag can be anywhere in your car. Make sure you have an empty chamber.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Slickity wrote:
    You have a C-96 Mauser? Cool. That is the only handgun I know of that actually loads from a "clip" :P Sorry that drives me nuts. Semi auto handguns load from a magazine. A clip is a metal strip that holds ammo to load a fixed or removeable magazine faster.

The mag can be anywhere in your car. Make sure you have an empty chamber.
    Yeh I know its a mag, I havent been thinking lately got alot of things on my plate. Thanks for the info.

Post imported post

Slickity wrote:
    The magazine must be out of the gun but the magazine does not have to be unloaded.

Post imported post

Just got back from the range. With my uncased (*GASP*) AK-47 in my trunk and 4 mags fully loaded. I feel like such a rebel. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm the local gun nut though pulling out by all black AK, range bag, and open carrying but so what.

I have a DPMS on order right now. Been waiting a good 4 months now.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
    Just got back from the range. With my uncased (*GASP*) AK-47 in my trunk and 4 mags fully loaded. I feel like such a rebel. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm the local gun nut though pulling out by all black AK, range bag, and open carrying but so what.