• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle question (and no Im not going to open carry it)

Slickity

imported post

I have an AR-15 with a 16" barrel, is there any law that bans it in the state, or any rules when it comes to transporting it.

Slickity

imported post

Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta work up the courage to open carry more often.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Slickity wrote:
Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta work up the courage to open carry more often.
Start off with short trips where you feel safe about it. For example if you need to go to a nearby quick shop to get gas and you are going to pay at the pump. OC to the station, while you pump, and then get in the car and drive home. The next time try a few more places. Just ease into it and you will likely, as most all of us, find that it quickly becomes second nature and just no big deal.

just_a_car

imported post

Slickity wrote:
You will find that OC'ing with other OC'ers will build confidence faster than just about anything else you can do on your own. I found that to be the case myself and have seen it happen with many others here. Even meeting with one other experienced OC'er can be enough, but if that's not doable, then just attend one of the monthly meetings.

amlevin

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
Nevermind it goes by federal law
Fed or state the answer is the same, NO.
So I can't my AR to the range in the hard case
No, there are no restrictions, except for the common sense one of UNLOADED, a case is optional.
While there are no prohibitions (other than it being unloaded) against transporting your AR, bear in mind that most indoor ranges require that the weapon be cased when you bring it in.

Slickity

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
What kind of AR15? I have a brand new CMMG 14.5 M4. I'm realy interested in these rifles, and curious about others' rifles.
I have a S&W M&P15A. Thanks all for the words of confidence

SpyderTattoo

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
What kind of AR15? I have a brand new CMMG 14.5 M4. I'm realy interested in these rifles, and curious about others' rifles.

you mean 14.5" with permanently affixed flash hider taking it to over 16" right?
Yes, of course. Unfortunately I don't have the tax stamp... :)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
No, there are no restrictions, except for the common sense one of UNLOADED, a case is optional.
And now, the other side of the story; most ranges I've been to state that all firearms broughtto the range that aren't on the firing line must be unloaded AND CASED, for a variety of safety reasons. Weapons carried concealed with a CHL are exempted because such signs do notcarry force of law against CHLsin this state;a signto the effect of"no open carry of weapons allowed in the store"may or may not affect Washington residents according to your laws. Regardless of whether you are committing a crime if you do not case your weapon,youmay still be in violation of the range rules and from a business perspective they can ban you for life if they so choose. Fair warning; State law defines legal boundaries, but those aren't the only restrictions that can be enforced.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Slickity wrote:
And now, the other side of the story; most ranges I've been to state that all firearms broughtto the range that aren't on the firing line must be unloaded AND CASED, for a variety of safety reasons. Weapons carried concealed with a CHL are exempted because such signs do notcarry force of law against CHLsin this state;a signto the effect of"no open carry of weapons allowed in the store"may or may not affect Washington residents according to your laws. Regardless of whether you are committing a crime if you do not case your weapon,youmay still be in violation of the range rules and from a business perspective they can ban you for life if they so choose. Fair warning; State law defines legal boundaries, but those aren't the only restrictions that can be enforced.
We are in Washington not Texas. Texas rules, as much as Texans think they should, don't apply here. What's with this cased crap anyway, are they all ashamed of being a gun range? I was always under the impression that a gun ranges is where you went to shoot guns, not hide them. FYI the two ranges close to me do not have a silly "must be cased" requirement.

Slickity

imported post

Can someone remind me the vehicle rules when you dont have your cpl. If I have it on me where does the clip have to be?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Slickity wrote:
Can someone remind me the vehicle rules when you dont have your cpl. If I have it on me where does the clip have to be?
You have a C-96 Mauser? Cool. That is the only handgun I know of that actually loads from a "clip" :p Sorry that drives me nuts. Semi auto handguns load from a magazine. A clip is a metal strip that holds ammo to load a fixed or removeable magazine faster.

The mag can be anywhere in your car. Make sure you have an empty chamber.

Slickity

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Slickity wrote:
You have a C-96 Mauser? Cool. That is the only handgun I know of that actually loads from a "clip" :p Sorry that drives me nuts. Semi auto handguns load from a magazine. A clip is a metal strip that holds ammo to load a fixed or removeable magazine faster.

The mag can be anywhere in your car. Make sure you have an empty chamber.
Yeh I know its a mag, I havent been thinking lately got alot of things on my plate. Thanks for the info.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Slickity wrote:
The magazine must be out of the gun but the magazine does not have to be unloaded.