• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Item re Threat of TSA Gun Ban in Public Non-Sterile Parts of Airports!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See:
www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html

The Atlanta airport administration has decided to spit on a new
Georgia state law and continue a ban on guns in the public, non-
sterile areas of its airport.

How does this effect Virginia gun owners?

Because the airport is asking the TSA to setup a nationwide regulation
banning guns on airport property, including the public, non-sterile
areas!!!

No more leaving a gun in your car while you catch a flight. No more
carrying a gun in parking lots or on public sidewalks at airports. No
more having a gun in your car as you drive to the airport to pick
someone up or drop them off.

We must contact the TSA and the President and Vice President and ask
them to keep the U.S. Government from implementing such a ban!

[ACTION ITEM BELOW]

Send an email using the three addresses below. Suggested text is
included.

--

Email addresses:

president@whitehouse.gov, vice.president@whitehouse.gov, TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov

--

Suggested message text:

SUBJECT: Leave state law alone on lawful gun carry in airports!

Dear President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and TSA Administrator
Hawley:

I am concerned that big city officials from Atlanta and elements of
the anti-gun movement are moving to misuse federal power to accomplish
what they cannot do in state capitols - i.e., criminalize gun carry in
the public and non-sterile areas of airports.

The vast majority of state legislatures support the right to carry
handguns in public, including the non-sterile areas of airports. Any
effort to reverse these state law decisions by way of the federal
bureaucracy insults federalism and the right to bear arms.

According to the Supreme Court in the Heller decision the right to
keep and bear arms is an individual right and, "[a]t the time of the
founding, as now, to 'bear' meant to “'carry.'”

Please ensure the TSA stays out of gun ban politics in Atlanta and
across the Unites States!

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm really trying to stay positive about all this, but if you look at the way Pres. Bush just pissed all over the 4th amendment in the name of "Security", Its hard to hope that he'll uphold the 2nd.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

But remember DopaVash, George W. was the governor that signed Concealed Carry for Texas into law in 1995. Thank God for him.

1993: "...Ann Richards, weighed in with the news that she would veto any CHL law the legislature passed. Politically, that should have been the end, but popular support would not let the bill die. Trying to find something the governor would sign, the Legislature ended up passing a law that only called for a statewide referendum on CHL, not authorizing anyone to actually set up any program. Governor Richards vetoed it anyway, saying that the people of Texas didn't need to vote on something like CHL.

Two years and a new governor later,George W. Bush signed the 1995 Texas concealed carry bill."

-- The Texas Concealed Handgun Association-- http://www.txchia.org/

So you see, GovernorRichards wouldn't even give us the chance to vote on CHL.She was acting like a communist on the issue. Wherewas Senator Joseph McCarthy when we actually needed him?

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know Bush is a Pro-carry kinda guy, but I just can't help to think he would oppose this in the name of national security. I guess one could see it as "What has he got to lose, the libs already hate him fevently" but I just don't know.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I mailed letters to my state representative and senator today, to both their Austin addresses and their local addresses. I included copies of the2006 Conviction Rates for Concealed Handgun License Holders Report prepared by the Texas Department of Public Safety. It shows the undisputable truth that we law-abiding, licensed citizens have proven ourselves worthy of being trusted with guns.

You should all check it out. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm The numbers should not surprise you. Example: there were 328 total murders in Texas in 2006. Only1 of those convictions was a CHL holder. And for the antis that think that Open Carry will bring back the wild wild west, notice on the report that there were only 3 murders under the influence of sudden passion in Texas in 2006, and of course none of them were CHL holders. There were 1,937 robberies, none of which were CHL holders. 4,259 total burglaries of building, 1 by CHL holder. 4,890 total burglaries of habitation, 2 by CHL holders.

One more statistic and I'll quit. In 2006, there were 61,539 total convictions in Texas, only 140 of which were by CHL holders. Now, there were 23,507,783 people in Texas in 2006, and 258,162 CHL holders. So, the percentage of CHL holders in 2006 was about 1.1% of the total population, right? Yet, CHL holders made up only 0.2275% of the total number of convictions in Texas. That tells us thatthe average non-CHL holding citizenwas 4.8 times more likely to commit a crime in Texas in 2006than a CHL holder was.

The way I see it, CHL holders are certified good guys.

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Linkee no workee for me.

jarodm20 wrote:
I mailed letters to my state representative and senator today, to both their Austin addresses and their local addresses. I included copies of the2006 Conviction Rates for Concealed Handgun License Holders Report prepared by the Texas Department of Public Safety. It shows the undisputable truth that we law-abiding, licensed citizens have proven ourselves worthy of being trusted with guns.

You should all check it out. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm The numbers should not surprise you. Example: there were 328 total murders in Texas in 2006. Only1 of those convictions was a CHL holder. And for the antis that think that Open Carry will bring back the wild wild west, notice on the report that there were only 3 murders under the influence of sudden passion in Texas in 2006, and of course none of them were CHL holders. There were 1,937 robberies, none of which were CHL holders. 4,259 total burglaries of building, 1 by CHL holder. 4,890 total burglaries of habitation, 2 by CHL holders.

One more statistic and I'll quit. In 2006, there were 61,539 total convictions in Texas, only 140 of which were by CHL holders. Now, there were 23,507,783 people in Texas in 2006, and 258,162 CHL holders. So, the percentage of CHL holders in 2006 was about 1.1% of the total population, right? Yet, CHL holders made up only 0.2275% of the total number of convictions in Texas. That tells us thatthe average non-CHL holding citizenwas 4.8 times more likely to commit a crime in Texas in 2006than a CHL holder was.

The way I see it, CHL holders are certified good guys.