• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Tidewater Region Officer shot.... luckily he had vest on!

tripledipper

imported post

Exactly why theoutcome was different with both shot in the chest, becausePatrol officerswear vests (don't know if this is mandatory here in theHampton Roads Departmentsor not) versus plainclothes officerswho do not or cannot (almost impossible to hide in summer casualattire). Thewillingness of these perps to shoot it out with cops is frighteningandconfirms that an armedcitizen should rely on usingtheir weapon onlyaslast resort.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Almost makes you want to go out and get a vest for yourself and your family members. Thank God for bullet proof vests. If I were an LEO I would not need any convincing to wear one.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I hated how much mine made me sweat, but I never went to work without it.

I even worked at one time for a department that didnt supply one. I was assigned to courthouse duty so I bought my own. Some of the Barneys laughed at me. They stopped laughing when I arrested a guypoking around the back door of the courthouse with a loaded 9mm in his backpack. They never thought anyone would try anything.

Neplusultra

imported post

Body armor isn't just for cops anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/5bc5c9

This links to a story of an armed home invasion where the BGs were wearing armor. Big shoot out with home owner (10-12 shots fired), one BG killed, two flee, home owner taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

I had a cop get all upset with me because he thought I had a five-seven (5.7x28mm) pistol. The only pistol made that can defeat soft body armor. So he of course thought I was a cop killer! The Brady Campaign even has a video about it. I printed out a copy of the story so I can give it to him :^).

The body armor part is mentioned in the last sentence.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Body armor isn't just for cops anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/5bc5c9

I had a cop get all upset with me because he thought I had a five-seven (5.7x28mm) pistol. The only pistol made that can defeat soft body armor. So he of course thought I was a cop killer! The Brady Campaign even has a video about it. I printed out a copy of the story so I can give it to him :^).

Neat round, isn't it?
I have a friend on the Henrico PD that has one. We went out one day and gave it a good workout. Low recoil, good accuracy and expensive to shoot.

I thought about buying one but .....what for?

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Neat round, isn't it?
I have a friend on the Henrico PD that has one. We went out one day and gave it a good workout. Low recoil, good accuracy and expensive to shoot.

Home invaders with body armor! Or for the really big muzzle flash. Or because the gun looks really neat and is the only one that has a 20 round magazine. Does this mean you can't carry it 20+1 without a CCP???

Or the number one reason, it's expensive and no one else has one! Or just because you can.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Neat round, isn't it?

Home invaders with body armor! Or for the really big muzzle flash. Or because the gun looks really neat and is the only one that has a 20 round magazine. Does this mean you can't carry it 20+1 without a CCP???

Or the number one reason, it's expensive and no one else has one! Or just because you can.
Good points but....I have enough 900.00 and up guns that I use. I can't justify one I won't use.

DocDaddy

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Neat round, isn't it?

YouCAN carry it, as long as it does not hold more than 20 rounds in the "magazine". Does not state anything about the +1 in the chamber. :lol:See below:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

MeBaby

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Neat round, isn't it?

Good points but....I have enough 900.00 and up guns that I use. I can't justify one I won't use.
Pete, i don't know if cost of the gun correlates with its effectiveness :p. Home invaders with body armor sounds like a damn good reason though;)

DocDaddy

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Neat round, isn't it?

Pete, i don't know if cost of the gun correlates with its effectiveness :p. Home invaders with body armor sounds like a damn good reason though;)
Isn't that what claymores are for? :celebrate:celebrate

KBCraig

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I had a cop get all upset with me because he thought I had a five-seven (5.7x28mm) pistol. The only pistol made that can defeat soft body armor.
Uhhhh... hardly! A CZ-52 in 7.62x25 will penetrate III-A quite handily, and it's effectively a +P variant of .30 Mauser, circa 1896.

Load that C-96 up with FMJ, even at .30 Mauser pressure levels, and I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with it, vest or no vest!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Years ago I did a lot of trials with body armor and finally came up with a system I called blind and burn. It's pretty simple since I almost always have a shotgun. At 20 yards or less, head shots are just as fast and accurate as center mass.

Shooting life size targets, they are always hit in the eyes with #6 shot. After that, I own him unless he hits me with a wild shot. It's just easier than trying to go through Body Armor with a super round.

But...it only works with a shotgun. I'm sitting on the sofa trying to figure the market for tomorrow. On the table beside me, I have the BFR with two#6.s and 3 000 buck, while the shotgun is in the corner.

Shooting what you're used to just keeps life simpler:D

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
But...it only works with a shotgun. I'm sitting on the sofa trying to figure the market for tomorrow. On the table beside me, I have the BFR with two#6.s and 3 000 buck, while the shotgun is in the corner.

I take it that's with the .410 chamber?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I take it that's with the .410 chamber?
Yep!

jt1562000

imported post

Im glad the officer had his vest on. I used to be one of the people who hated wearing my vest because of the heat. Two things changed my mind. I purchased an undershirt made for vests which keeps me a lot cooler and wicks away sweat like under-armour.

The second was having a friend shot in his vest. He wasn't in a confrontation, just walking down the road. Two gang members started shooting at each other in the middle of the road and a stray round hithim. He had just gotten off duty and was walking home with no weapon.His vest saved his life that day, and it made me thankful to have one. I wear mine at all times when on duty, and even sometimes when I am off.

A few months ago,the burglar alarm at my housewent off indicating a front door intrusion. It was the middle of the night, so i threw on my vest, grabbed my sidearm, and cleared the house. Thankfully it was just a malfunction, but if it had been an actual alarm my vest could have saved my life as well. They are uncomfortable, expensive, and sometimes a PITA, but i believe they are well worth it in the long run.

jt1562000

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
jt1562000 wrote:
Two gang members started shooting at each other in the middle of the road and a stray round hithim.

Gang activity in Idaho?
Im from Idaho originally, but I now live in northern VA and work in DC. The incident happened in SE DC.

Neplusultra

imported post

jt1562000 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
jt1562000 wrote:
Two gang members started shooting at each other in the middle of the road and a stray round hithim.

Gang activity in Idaho?
Im from Idaho originally, but I now live in northern VA and work in DC. The incident happened in SE DC.
Thanks for making my world make sense again :^)! Of course the way MS-13 and illegal immigration is going it will only be a matter of time before Idaho is affected too.