• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Raven 25

Harvdog

imported post

I currently carry a Springfeld Armory XD subcompact 40 for my daily carry or ccw depending on several factors. I just can't see carrying my Ruger GP100 with a 6'' barrel on a daily basis. So, I am thinking about starting to carry my little Raven 25 as a BUG but wanted to get some thoughts and feedback. I would either go with a pocket or ankle holster.

Any issues with either option?
For pocket, would you recommend a front or nack pocket?
Has anyone used this holster for a small 22 or 25 semi-auto? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA912-33.html
Other ankle holster options?
Is it even worth carrying this as a BUG?

calmspirit

imported post

I just am not sure about a Raven as a BUG. I had one about 20 yrs ago, I think
I paid maybe 54.00 for it brand new. I a friend of mine who was a Deputy at the
time bought one also. I maybe shot one clip out of mine and it just went downhill
from there. My friend was off duty and had his in an ankle rig and was going to
effect an arrest and he went to pull his and it fell apart. I mean for a cheap toss
it in the trash after you play with it. It was ok. Would I trust my life with it. Nope.

My 2 Cents,

Tim

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a second generation Raven P25. It jammed and/or failed to go into battery a LOT when I got it. Took it apart completely and did a lot of polishing to get consistent performance. Now it is reliable and surprisingly accurate from typical SD distances. I have put about 200 rounds through it since its "rebuild" without a problem.

I carry mine for a BUG on occasion in a little leather clip holster it was in when I got it which allows me several carry options. I don't care for ankle holsters, although if I were inclined to use one I think the Raven would do well given it's profile and weight. If yours is as reliable and accurate as mine is IMO it is worth carrying as a bug. For pocket carry I would only carry in my front pockets because back pockets are just too easy for certain very talented thiefs to pick.

Chipmunk6

imported post

Howdy folks,
I would advise against backpocket carry
with the 'Raven' or any teeny semi-auto.
Twenty some odd years ago ,I carried one
on occasion and the motion of using the
clutch pedal would chamber a round some
times.

Chipmunk6

Michigander

imported post

If it's all you have and can afford, that's one thing. But if you can afford something more modern and better made, why not do that?

As I very expensively was reminded by my damned CZ, a carry gun absolutely should be well made.

ODA 226

imported post

I think the real question here is simple: HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE WORTH? If you need to carry a BUG, buy one that is well-made and reliable. When I had my FFL, I sold a few Ravens, but refused to sell anymore once I realized what a POS weapon it is. I valued my customers life as well and could not in good faith continue to sell them.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I think the questions you should ask are:

1) Does Raven make quality firearms?
2) Is the model you're interested in a reliable gun?
3) Will the gun hold up to frequent firing, assuming routine maintenance?
4) Does it shoot accurately enough for the distances it will be used for?
5) Is 25 ACP a round with reasonable terminal ballistics and therefore adequate for self-defense (even as a backup gun)?

Please do some checking around on the Internet.

I think the answers to the questions are: no, no, no, maybe and no. But, that's just my opinion.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

One problem with cheaply-made guns like the Raven, Jennings, Lorcin, NAA Mini-Revolvers (yes, I've had them), etc., is that they won't hold up to very many practice sessions. Even if they do, they may become unnoticably stressed (about to break) so when it comes time to use it in a serious situation, it may mailfunction at that crucial time. Not good.

I suggest one buy a quality/durable gun so that not only can one safely/freely practice with it without concern for wearing it out (just by practicing with it) but also expect it to perform in a "mission critical" self-defense situation.

You don't need to spend lots of $$ for such a gun. In fact, I recommend one consider military/police surplus pistols -- usually inexpensive guns from the former Eastern Bloc countries, yet of proven reliability/durability -- such as the many Makarovs out there for example (I have2 Tokarevs myself, but some people have the CZ52).Online vendors/sources for these milsurp guns should includeaimsurplus.com and centerfiresystems.com...andTHEIR importsources up the chain.

If keeping the purchase price low isn't a big deal, then of course you have many more civilian/commercial guns more to choose from -- pretty much anything you want since $$ is no object--but re: the cost-per-value ratio, I always look at milsurp guns first.

As for caliber -- as I always say -- it's not the caliber, it's the shooter.

Besides, the Europeans have used small caliber guns for at least 100 years just fine. It's only the Americans who are obsessed with "sze."

-- John D.

Harvdog

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
I think the questions you should ask are:

1) Does Raven make quality firearms?
2) Is the model you're interested in a reliable gun?
3) Will the gun hold up to frequent firing, assuming routine maintenance?
4) Does it shoot accurately enough for the distances it will be used for?
5) Is 25 ACP a round with reasonable terminal ballistics and therefore adequate for self-defense (even as a backup gun)?

Please do some checking around on the Internet.

I think the answers to the questions are: no, no, no, maybe and no. But, that's just my opinion.
Great questions. Thanks for all of the feedback and information everyone. I think I have my answer...I need to shop for another BUG...or maybe buy a 1911 in 45 acp and use my XD in 40 for my BUG. :cool: :cool:

TheMrMitch

imported post

Get a PA63 in 9x18 and carry it anywhere you want....even ankle carry.

Cheap pistol....easily gotten 9x18ammo and powerful it is.

380 = 9x17....9x18 and then 9mm = 9x19.