• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

don't act as a LEO officer?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

spectr019 wrote:
When doing the CCW course, it was BOLDLY explained that when we carry concealed, we are NOT to reveal our gun unless our OWN lives are in danger. Recently I've been reading a bunch of self-defense stories on where a man thwarted a bank robbery, somebody was able to save a woman from a burglar, etc etc... While these people were permited to CC, the police did not charge them with anything.

My question: Where is the line drawn about revealing your firearm? Are we LEGALLY ONLY able to draw it when our lives are threatened? If I'm in line at a quality dairy and somebody runs right in and holds up the clerk, am I able to do what I can to stop them? I'm just confused on what to do if a scenario like this were to happen. Is it one of those situations where doing the 'right thing' (i.e. not acting as law enforcement) isn't doing the 'right thing' (being humane and helping a fellow person in need/perile)?

Ben

It depends on State law, and regardless of State law, legal =/= prudent.

It is generally acceptible to draw and fire in defense of a third person when that third person would themselves be justified in drawing and/or firing for their own defense. However, in any situation where a weapon is drawn, you are responsible for your actions, and for the path of every last one of your shots fired and what they hit.

So, you're in line at the Quality Dairy and someone runs in and points a gun at the clerk. At that point, the clerk wouldalmost always bejustified in returning the favor because they are being threatened with imminent deadly force for an illegal end. For that same reason, you are also virtually always justified in drawing because you are justified in protecting a third person if that person would be jusftified in protecting themself.

However, here's the flip side; FBI regs, which it is recommended you follow when choosing a personal protection round, mandate 12 inches penetration of ballistic gelatin. The FBI mandates this because they don't know what their next BG's build is going to be and they do NOT have the same liability for injury that a civilian does. If it was a good shoot against the BG, the police department and officer are generally shielded from liability for damages due to overpenetration or missed shots. You as a civilian are virtually never shielded from damages, and in many cases 12 inches of BG is nothing at all; shoot a methhead in the abdomen and that bullet's coming right back out the other side.I'm sure the store would thank you if you saved them from losing the contents of one or more tills at the cost of a hole in the drywall beyond the BG, but you're going to find yourself signing over your paychecks for the rest of your life if that bullet misses or overpenetrates and hits someone else in the store. You are responsible for every bullet you fire and EVERYthing each bullet hits, not just what it hit first.

THAT is why you should not play policeman. Your gun is your VERY LAST OPTION to prevent harm to you, your family and those in your immediate area. People play "what if" all the time; the robber could want money and then shoot the clerk as an afterthought, or they could be planning to shoot the clerk as soon as they open the till, then grab the tray and run. These are used to argue that you should always draw and shoot in such situations. Well, right back at ya; what ifyou miss? What if your shot passes straight through the BG and injures someone else? What if the bullet enters the BG, takes a sharp left turn off a rib and kills the clerk? What if the BG's finger twitches when he's shot and the clerk gets shot anyway? What if one or even two shots doesn't put the BG down? Adrenaline runs high and a hit to anything but the CNS is not guaranteed to immediately incapacitate even if the attacker will die from that wound.

So, there are a lot of variables in a shoot/don't shoot situation, not the least of which is how you yourself will react, and simple rules like "always shoot if" and "never shoot if" are oversimplifications that can ruin your life even if the police officers thank you personally for doing what you did.

MetalChris

imported post

FogRider wrote:
esstac wrote:
VA Caver wrote:
Back when we as a society were taught to take care of and look out for each other, the answer would have been simple...do whatever is necessary.

Sadly, in this day and age of people using the courts to win the lottery, my weapon stays holstered unless it's me or my family that are being threatened. Anyone else...sorry about your luck. The threat of a lawsuit just isn't worth it...:(
It sad that this is the way the world is turning atm. Not against you Caver, just in general to others out there with the sue hammer over anything.

I see it as this, I will help if and how I can. If that means I will have legal trouble so be it. Saying you would not do anything to help someone else is just BS, if it was my wife and 3 boys that needed the help from a complete stranger who went out of his way to save/help them then I would do anything in my power to aid that person/s with any trouble they had legaly afterwards.

To sit and cower for fear of reprocusions, I just hope your loved ones never get in a pinch where someone could have saved them but choose to cover there own ass instead of what is moraly right.
Perhaps it's his wife and kids he was already thinking of. Who is going to support them while he is in prison? Who is going to protect them? There are a lot more factors to a situation that you may not be considering here.
That's the reason for my view on the subject. I think it's selfish to risk the bolded just to be a hero.

I'm with VA Caver in that 50 years ago I would definitely do what I could to intervene in a violent crime that's occurring in front of me, but not in today's social/political climate.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
It's sad that we have to stand there and be a witness when someone is being robbed, etc for fear of legal action against us.

If people around me are being shot/stabbed by a lunatic, i will draw, because my life is in danger. If a woman is being beaten/assaulted or a child, i will.

I dont want to see people die or be maimed for life because i was to fearful of lawyers and govt.

Realize the picture is much broader than simply stepping in to help in the examples you've given above. I don't think too many on here would hesitate to step in and help if the circumstances made it very clear.

Its not that the legal risks should dissuade you from helping. Its that you should be very sure you are helping a good guy before you step in.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
SNIP Criminals seem to have more rights then we do.
You've been tricked.
We as a people benefit far more fromgovernment restrained by rights than criminals benefitfromhiding behindrights.

A ciminal's sphere of influence is typically rather small. A government's sphere of influence extends to every person in its jurisdiction.

When the government is unrestrained by rights we all suffer a lot more

yeahYeah

imported post

Citizen wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
It's sad that we have to stand there and be a witness when someone is being robbed, etc for fear of legal action against us.

If people around me are being shot/stabbed by a lunatic, i will draw, because my life is in danger. If a woman is being beaten/assaulted or a child, i will.

I dont want to see people die or be maimed for life because i was to fearful of lawyers and govt.

Realize the picture is much broader than simply stepping in to help in the examples you've given above. I don't think too many on here would hesitate to step in and help if the circumstances made it very clear.

Its not that the legal risks should dissuade you from helping. Its that you should be very sure you are helping a good guy before you step in.
yeah, you make a good point.

VA Caver

imported post

Citizen wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

Circumstances that used to be very clear have been made very confusing by lawyers and the courts...:X

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VA Caver wrote:
Circumstances that used to be very clear have been made very confusing by lawyers and the courts...:X

Iwas not aware of anychanges.

What have you heard?

Johnny Law

imported post

It's kind of like gambling (onlythe stakes are higher). A single squeeze of a trigger can make you the hero, or the idiot (criminal) that everyone istalking about.

Even though citizens aren't held to the same standard as Officers, you will live with your decision for the rest of your life. Personally I have no problem with citizens intervening, buteven if youacted reasonably, the bullet may still strike the wrong person, or as was mentioned earlier, pass through the bg's body and kill the innocent person walking down the street. Every situation is an individual judgement call.

yeahYeah

imported post

i see at least 30 of those ambulance chaser/trip and fall lawyer commercials each night. gun owners are ripe harvest to these guys.

Weak 9mm

imported post

spectr019 wrote:
When doing the CCW course, it was BOLDLY explained that when we carry concealed, we are NOT to reveal our gun unless our OWN lives are in danger. Recently I've been reading a bunch of self-defense stories on where a man thwarted a bank robbery, somebody was able to save a woman from a burglar, etc etc... While these people were permited to CC, the police did not charge them with anything.

My question: Where is the line drawn about revealing your firearm? Are we LEGALLY ONLY able to draw it when our lives are threatened? If I'm in line at a quality dairy and somebody runs right in and holds up the clerk, am I able to do what I can to stop them? I'm just confused on what to do if a scenario like this were to happen. Is it one of those situations where doing the 'right thing' (i.e. not acting as law enforcement) isn't doing the 'right thing' (being humane and helping a fellow person in need/perile)?

Ben
I'm a bit concerned that the CC course did not address this... They certainly should have made it INCREDIBLY clear. If they didn't, you may want to ask for a refund.

This question really does make me wonder if you've even taken the course. If you actually took it and passed the test then the course was sub-par to say the least.

cynicist

imported post

I hear Michigan is a bit worse on guns than WA, but in my state, you're allowed to pull on someone if there is an "imminent danger of unlawful use of force" or something to that affect. (It's rcw 9.41.270- just can't quote it off the top of my head.)
I would check the laws, not just what the course says. Generally, "defense of others" is just as protected as self defense, so you could claim that in court.

There is also the legal defense of "the lesser of two evils": let that guy get stabbed, but don't pull a gun? Hell no.

If it came down to it with me, I would worry about first things first. I'd never risk my life or anyone else's because I thought a statute might prevent me from defending myself or another.

MetalChris

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I hear Michigan is a bit worse on guns than WA, but in my state, you're allowed to pull on someone if there is an "imminent danger of unlawful use of force" or something to that affect. (It's rcw 9.41.270- just can't quote it off the top of my head.)
I would check the laws, not just what the course says. Generally, "defense of others" is just as protected as self defense, so you could claim that in court.

There is also the legal defense of "the lesser of two evils": let that guy get stabbed, but don't pull a gun? Hell no.

If it came down to it with me, I would worry about first things first. I'd never risk my life or anyone else's because I thought a statute might prevent me from defending myself or another.
Washington State has some of the best self-defense laws, almost as good as Texas.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I take it nobody else finds it strange that the CC course didn't cover this?

yeahYeah

imported post

my CCW course covered a lot of stuff. My gun is the last resort for me...but of course not EVERY scenario is covered. The point made was that if you draw your weapon, that means u intend to pull the trigger, not use it as a bargaining chip.

If they flee, don't pursue...which is where people get into trouble.

I use this scenario...if someone breaks into my house...i will scream "stop". they can either continue and get a chest full of lead, run out of my house or drop to the ground where i hold them until police get there. i'd prefer the later scenario. Outside of my home this may be "citizens arrest".

Weak 9mm

imported post

Honestly that second option may not be the greatest idea depending upon your location, but I don't really care what you do.

9mmdave

imported post

mcrgo.org has good info on this, Michigan coalition of responsible guns owners. this site is nice show stats by county. how many CC permits .denied,revoked,suspended, how many clean shoots.

The law was changed last year or so on the civil suit for being sewed by a family member. Also there was something about being able to defend a person against sexual assualts. The other good point was you can now defend you property while not in it. Before you had to be in the house or in the car if being broken into. Not now. If you come apon such situation

Caption Jack

imported post

I, was toldby state police instructor, that permit holders had an obligation to protect the unarmedcitizens, in event of an attack that would result in serious bodily harm & or death.

I was also told ,that if I screwed up I would be liable andlawsuitwould probably follow. Tuff call, even for LEO that train to handle these situautions.

Permit holders that have gone through background checks may somedaybe called upon,bystate & local police,to volunteer assworn officers, in the event of major crisis within the USA

Captain Jack, military retired

unreconstructed1

imported post

here is my take on it, for whatever it's worth:

while I couldn't sit idly by and watch someone being murdered raped, etc., I would also judge the safety of my intervention. while Tennessee law allows for lethal force in the defense of another, if I didn't have an extremely positive feeling that I could so so without danger to myself or my family,then I wouldn't do it. I carry to protect me and my family. why didn't the man being robbed, etc. feel the need to carry as well. to be quite honest, if there was no immediate threat, I'd probably not act at all. evry man must take responsibility for his own safety, I took responsiblility for mine, and my families. if anyone else wants to be safe, they are just as able as me to gain the safety.

FogRider

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I take it nobody else finds it strange that the CC course didn't cover this?
I don't know about the course you took, but mine only covered basic gun handling. I quite literally did not learn a single thing in the class. It was geared towards people who had never even held a gun (and a few of the folks in my class hadn't), not someone who had been around firearms since before he could walk. There was barely enough time to cover basic firearms handling, let alone go into the legal issues.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Your state must have different requirements then. My class was plenty long to cover both matters and involved a shooting test where you had to demonstrate competence with the firearm.

There were plenty of people in the CC course that hadn't been around firearms "since before they could walk," including me. There were no firearms in my home growing up.