• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in State Parks?

SpokaneIrish

imported post

I am going camping in Idaho this weekend. I am from eastern WA and am wondering whether OC in all Idaho State Parks is kosher.
Thanks.

BrianEMT

imported post

Idaho State Law has full preemption over all county and local laws, and parks fall under public property. As far as I know you are good to go!

Welcome to Idaho. :lol:

tatersalad

imported post

Depends on if you are going on state or federal land. Firearms are prohibited in National Parks, such as the Boise National Forest, which is managed by the US Forest Service, part of the USDA. This was originally intended to protect wildlife from poachers and unlawful hunting. After some searching I was able to find the actual law restricting firearms, found at this link http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/julqtr/pdf/36cfr261.58.pdf

§ 261.57 National Forest wilderness.
When provided by an order, the following
are prohibited
:
(a) Entering or being in the area.
(b) Possessing camping or pack-outfitting
equipment, as specified in the
order.
(c) Possessing a firearm or firework.
(d) Possessing any non-burnable food
or beverage containers, including deposit
bottles, except for non-burnable
containers designed and intended for
repeated use.
(e) Grazing.
(f) Storing equipment, personal property
or supplies.
(g) Disposing of debris, garbage, or
other waste.
(h) Possessing or using a wagon, cart
or other vehicle.
[42 FR 2957, Jan. 14, 1977, as amended at 49
FR 25450, June 21, 1984]

The Department of the Interior is trying to change this however by writing a new bill to make it legal to carry a firearm in a National Park as long as it is legal for you to do so in the state where the park is located. http://www.regulations.gov%2Ffdmspublic%2FContentViewer%3FobjectId%3D090000648053d422%26disposition%3Dattachment%26contentType%3Dhtml&ei=e0imSLP8BoLwsAOXkc3JDg&usg=AFQjCNGinEJAowSFmqtYf4yYhgxcckEntg&sig2=J488wCMJt7N15WggbewFFw

MarkinIdaho

imported post

tatersalad wrote:
Depends on if you are going on state or federal land. Firearms are prohibited in National Parks, such as the Boise National Forest, which is managed by the US Forest Service, part of the USDA. This was originally intended to protect wildlife from poachers and unlawful hunting. After some searching I was able to find the actual law restricting firearms, found at this link http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/julqtr/pdf/36cfr261.58.pdf

§ 261.57 National Forest wilderness.
When provided by an order, the following
are prohibited
:
(a) Entering or being in the area.
(b) Possessing camping or pack-outfitting
equipment, as specified in the
order.
(c) Possessing a firearm or firework.
(d) Possessing any non-burnable food
or beverage containers, including deposit
bottles, except for non-burnable
containers designed and intended for
repeated use.
(e) Grazing.
(f) Storing equipment, personal property
or supplies.
(g) Disposing of debris, garbage, or
other waste.
(h) Possessing or using a wagon, cart
or other vehicle.
[42 FR 2957, Jan. 14, 1977, as amended at 49
FR 25450, June 21, 1984]

The Department of the Interior is trying to change this however by writing a new bill to make it legal to carry a firearm in a National Park as long as it is legal for you to do so in the state where the park is located. http://www.regulations.gov%2Ffdmspublic%2FContentViewer%3FobjectId%3D090000648053d422%26disposition%3Dattachment%26contentType%3Dhtml&ei=e0imSLP8BoLwsAOXkc3JDg&usg=AFQjCNGinEJAowSFmqtYf4yYhgxcckEntg&sig2=J488wCMJt7N15WggbewFFw

Tater - I don't think your reading of this is right... in that you say you can't carry in a National Forest.

The law, that I've read, and that you quote, pertains to National Parks... not National Forests. If that was the case, you couldn't hunt in the NF's. When I was in the BNF this Summer, I ran into a Fish and Game conservation officer. We chatted about where I could target practice and he said the entire forest was open, so long as you weren't near any cabins. So, in Idaho, the only National Park I'm aware of is Craters of the Moon.

tatersalad

imported post

My mistake on that. The difference between National Parks and Forests has me confused:banghead:. Mark is correct, National FORESTS are OK to carry National PARKS are a big NO. The National Forests are managed by the Department of Agriculture, and the National Parks are managed by the Department of the Interior. The law that I quoted has me confused however because it clearly states on the page that is regarding National Forests under the management of the US Forest Service and the USDA. Sorry about the bad info. :(